What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

piramidon

recidivist icmag - OUT-ist convins - microgrower
Veteran
Thanks Bud, no bragging but I can do that with less than 200W in sog with clones in 9-10 weeks, thanks to sil.
I intent to paint white the inner top of the trench in a week or so since the sun goes lower, to increase light exposure. :good:
I'm just waiting for this heat wave to pass...

PCBuds

Thanks Bud, no bragging but I can do that with less than 200W in sog with clones in 9-10 weeks, thanks to sil.

Yeah, my setup isn't the most efficient, but that does include 3 fans, an air pump and way too many lights. lol

I was just thinking that if I had to choose between buying bulbs and electricity or digging a trench, I'm going to buy light bulbs.

Trench digging doesn't suit my laziness. lol

piramidon

Veteran
I just did it 'cause I find easier an outdoor grow next to a indoor one. And yet here I am doing both...
Digging was just a way to protect plants from street led lights, but it helps with disguising as well.
I had a few solutions at hand and going under was logistically the easiest way to do it.
The actual dig took me only 4-5 hours with breaks and I've lost 3kg that day (during heatwave), but it can be used on the long term like a series of autos in spring to half summer than another outdoor started in the closeth like this one.
l.e.
It helps with the security too, only one (small) side to access the grow, the rest littered with "measures" and a hunting camera in place to enjoy a possible show... redneck's delight! :biggrin:
I tell you what, besides digging took me 2-3 days to landscape and tune in the place, everything done organic with local materials, the most friendly gizmos being the punji sticks improved with local plants and dog shit. :LOL:

Last edited:

PCBuds

I just did it 'cause I find easier an outdoor grow next to a indoor one. And yet here I am doing both...

Well, you'll probably need to keep doing do both anyway.
You said that you were out of weed because you've turned into quite the pot head. lol

I don't like outdoor plants because they end up covered in all kinds of crap. Dust, fuzz, cob webs and a whole assortment of bugs 🐛

I only grow outdoor plants to watch them grow and take pictures, then I give them away.

It helps with the security too, only one (small) side to access the grow, the rest littered with "measures" and a hunting camera in place to enjoy a possible show... redneck's delight! :biggrin:
I tell you what, besides digging took me 2-3 days to landscape and tune in the place, everything done organic with local materials, the most friendly gizmos being the punji sticks improved with local plants and dog shit. :LOL:

What about animals getting into your garden ?

The only problem I had outdoors was squirrels digging up my plants 🪴.
(and maybe rabbits 🐇 eating them too, but I'm not sure?)

My only security measure was chicken 🐔 wire covering my planter.

IMG_20220828_133401.jpg

Last edited:

piramidon

Veteran
Well, you'll probably need to keep doing do both anyway.
I will, after this drought (of weed) I've learned my lesson not to lag about growing. I need it that slap! :LOL:
You said that you were out of weed because you've turned into quite the pot head. lol
Yeap! I'm a big boy and not ashamed with my vices - muay thai, pussy and weed. The last two I'm discreet about...
It's a rural area and I have to protect my sources... :biggrin:
I don't like outdoor plants because they end up covered in all kinds of crap. Dust, fuzz, cob webs and a whole assortment of bugs 🐛
I don't mind that at all, indoor bud is good but outdoor bud is better, especially from regular seeds.
Maybe it's just me but I find it a lot stronger.
I only grow outdoor plants to watch them grow and take pictures, then I give them away.
Well, you're a better man than I... and a lot more generous too... :LOL:
What about animals getting into your garden ?
As wildlife I'm visited only by hedgehogs at night and an ocassional fence jumping stray dog that comes to take a shit on my lawn. Hedgehogs are my friends, the strays usually ended up in my snares but since I got the cats...
The trench is cat proofed so only surviving humans can get in. :biggrin:
Once I finish this outdoor I'll return the hunting cam to it's original purpose: establishing patterns like places and times where the dogs are visiting and hunt them old fashion - bow, blow gun, spear, etc. I think I'll build me another crossbow..
It might sound cruel to you but when you get your morning coffee (at noon :laughing: ) and step on a dog shit right at your door or find your cat with severe dog wounds... This fuckers need to know who's the monkey in top of the food chain!
Authorities are in a perpetual contest of who's got the thumb up their asses deeper and longer, so you manage yourself.
Git'r done!

PCBuds

I decided to check the closet planter to see where the PPM and PH were.

The PPM was at 3700 and the PH was 5.2 or something.

I ended up flushing it with about 5 gallons of tap water and RO water to finally bring it in to range.

I hope that I didn't drown all my springtails?

I've caught about 2 dozen fungus gnats in the past 21 days.

IMG_20220828_174746.jpg
IMG_20220828_174847.jpg

That's not too bad.
About a bug a day.

I think that they will die off in the winter.

PCBuds

That seedling looks over watered to me. Maybe let the media dry back a bit would help.

OK.
I'll empty the reservoir and set the planter on some newspaper to soak up some water.

I do intend to use the reservoir, but I guess she needs to be older, bigger and thirstier first.

PCBuds

Bud, don't matter how many of those sticks you put, it will not grow like the bamboo (1m/day) :LOL:

My last plant 🪴 blew over, so I'm not taking any chances with this one. lol

IMG_20220811_191621.jpg

She's looking top heavy with a really flimsy stalk.
I didn't have the fan going to toughen up her stalk because I didn't want to blow pork chop grease on it. lol

IMG_20220901_174155.jpg
IMG_20220901_174327.jpg

It's too bad, because now she might need crutches for the rest of her life?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Wait till you find out the damping out is not from falling over but usually from a pathogenic fungi from the soil, that proliferates in wet environments..

PCBuds

Wait till you find out the damping out is not from falling over but usually from a pathogenic fungi from the soil, that proliferates in wet environments..

This one hasn't fallen over, but the last one broke it's stalk when it did.

IMG_20220814_090520.jpg
IMG_20220814_090906.jpg

But I'm sure that I've got lots of pathogenic crap in my planter. lol

PCBuds

I've got tons of bugs in the house.
They're not all fungas gnats either.
I emptied my kitchen garbage today and there were dozens of bugs flying around inside the can.

I saw one actually crawling up the sticky trap about an inch and then fly away, so they are trap proof.

They are really hard to catch without squashing them, so I wet my hand and snatched one out of the air.

I managed to get it on point of a push pin for a few pictures. (they're sticky when they're wet. lol)

IMG_20220901_182700.jpg
IMG_20220901_182551.jpg
IMG_20220901_182452.jpg
IMG_20220901_182430.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's not a fungus gnat, because I don't see the horn, but, maybe this is the start of a horn 🤔?

Screenshot_20220901-183550_Gallery.jpg

I also caught this bug and it's different.

I don't know if these two bugs are harmful to my plant??

IMG_20220901_182928.jpg

Last edited:

PCBuds

The closet plant 🪴 is a different story.
I've got tons of fungas gnats.
The sticky traps are filling up.

IMG_20220901_190335.jpg

It looks like this one gave birth after she was caught,..

IMG_20220901_185933.jpg

I think that the 5 gallon flush gave the fungus gnats the advantage.
I used to see all kinds of springtails running around, but now I have to really search for them. Unless they just went deeper because of the flood?

Meanwhile,.. I turned on the ceiling fan and aimed it down to help dry out the surface of the planter, and I've got more perlite to put on top once it's dried out a bit.
I've found that if I put perlite on top of wet media it sucks up water, gets wet, and defeats the purpose.