My plant 🪴 looks good.
She's getting taller.

IMG_20220906_152122.jpg
IMG_20220906_152131.jpg
IMG_20220906_152138.jpg
IMG_20220906_152147.jpg

I rebuilt my plant crutch.

IMG_20220906_152158.jpg

I put the plant back into the reservoir and added 2 liters of veg nutes at 1100 PPM at 5.75 PH.
I raised the planter about half an inch with hollow fiberglass tubes, that way she can grow her roots under the planter and still reach the water.

IMG_20220906_152306.jpg
IMG_20220906_152319.jpg

I want to see if the planter wicks up water until the top of the media is wet again.
I was planning on watering from the top after she starts flowering but when I do the whole planter gets wet and then I have to worry about mold and bugs.

I was thinking of top watering to flush the planter to get an idea of the PH and PPM from the runoff, but I don't think that the tradeoff of a soaked planter is worth it.

I think that I'll just bottom water and assume that the PH in the planter is rising so I'll bottom feed at about 5.7 PH.
I'll keep an eye out for roots in the reservoir to make sure she can reach the properly balanced food.

Last edited:

PCBuds

I've only caught or seen a few bugs in the house in the past few days and I only caught 2 in the closet, so it think that my bug problem in over with.

The top of the closet planter is dry now so I unplugged the ceiling fan.

IMG_20220906_162215.jpg
IMG_20220906_162228.jpg

I made 16 new shields for the remaining LED strips that aren't covered.
The strips are coated with conformal gell so they are safe from the plant, but the plant isn't safe from my strips if it touch them.

IMG_20220906_162233.jpg

Last edited:

PCBuds

Looks a lot better than when the soil was so wet. Remember roots need oxygen and water. :good:

I didn't realize that when the media is wet it keeps wicking up water to the top of the planter and it stays wet.
After I put the plant back in the reservoir it didn't wick up water right to the top again, and the surface stayed dry.
The plant did take up some water so I added another 1½ liters of water yesterday but the surface is still dry.

I think that I might try to drip feed the planter from the top after she starts to flower and the PH starts to wander.
I can put my bucket of nutrients (Folgers Coffee can) on the shelf above the planter and have it siphon slowly into the plant at the stalk.
That way it shouldn't soak the media on top or wash away the media around the stalk.
I want to water through the plant so that I can keep an eye on the PH and PPM of the runoff.

I've got a valve and ¼ silicone tubing to reach the plant.
I can plug the valve right into the soil at the stalk.

IMG_20220908_135759.jpg

Last edited:

PCBuds

I removed the crutch.
She's straight and sturdy now.
(I just pulled the crutch straight up. The leaves folded out of the way. I've been rotating the planter into the wind)

IMG_20220909_173757.jpg

The planter did end up wicking moisture up to the top.
It's only got about ¼ inch of dry stuff on top with some wet spots showing through, but she seems really happy and healthy, so I'm not going to worry about it.

There's still a few bugs around, but not enough to bother me or my plant.

I've got the fan blowing on her.
I guess that she's established enough now to deal with everything ?

PCBuds

Everything went to shit last night 🌙,..

IMG_20220910_055804.jpg
IMG_20220910_055749.jpg
IMG_20220910_055752.jpg
IMG_20220910_055816.jpg

It was the side of the plant that was directly in the wind.
I figure that she transpired too much on that side and sucked up too many nutrients and got burnt ?
I did have the nutrient solution pretty rich at about 1200 PPM and it probably got even more concentrated on those leaves 🍃,..

In an effort to do something about it while still keeping LIFTA in mind, I drained the reservoir.
The planter was pretty wet again.

I'm going to LITFA now and just leave her be and see what happens.
I'll give her at least 2 days before I do anything else.

I figure just straight RO water💧next to dilute the planter, but I'll wait before I do that.

I unplugged the fan too for the time being.

Last edited:

PCBuds

I sprayed the sink and air conditioner with hydrogen peroxide last night.
They were smelling kinda like mildew.

Perhaps it got into the air and got blown onto the plant?

Maybe that's what happened to the plant?

I don't know if hydrogen peroxide vaporizes like that though?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah it vaporizes into very "dangerous" stuff called oxygen and water. I would say your problems are, PH, wetness all the time and possibly high EC. But many people told you this already, and nothing changed. I guess it's unsolveable..

PCBuds

Yeah it vaporizes into very "dangerous" stuff called oxygen and water. I would say your problems are, PH, wetness all the time and possibly high EC. But many people told you this already, and nothing changed. I guess it's unsolveable..

Everything was fine last night and the plant had been back in the reservoir for 4 days.

It all happened in about 8 hours when I noticed it this morning.

I put the hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle and sprayed the sink. It's strong stuff for cleaning at 7%.

The sink is only about 2 feet from the plant and I also sprayed behind the stove and the floor underneath the plant.
I think that mist got in the air and blew through the fan onto my plant.

I went a little crazy with the peroxide last night. Lol
I sprayed about ½ a liter all together.
I was drunk and stoned and on the hunt for mold spores. Lol

I just sprayed some in the bathroom now and I can see a fine mist in the air. It settles pretty quick but the fan could have sucked it up and blew it on the plant.

IMG_20220910_115451.jpg

Last edited:

PCBuds

I put a little drop of peroxide on a pin 📌 and put it on a leaf to see what happens and what it ends up looking like.

IMG_20220910_121031.jpg

PCBuds

I would say your problems are, PH, wetness all the time and possibly high EC.

All the solution I've given her from the start has been at 5.7-5.8 PH with a PPM of 800 at the start and 1200 recently.
She didn't like the wet when she was younger but she seemed to be quite happy.

The weird thing is how everything happened so fast.
This was her last night at 9:45

IMG_20220909_214414.jpg

After that picture, I went crazy with the peroxide and this was her at 6 am this morning.

IMG_20220910_055804.jpg
IMG_20220910_055749.jpg

Whenever I had PH problems the plant would slowly get pale.
Whenever the PPM was too high, the leaf tips and serrations would burn.
Whenever it was too wet, she would be droopy and grow slowly.

I'm going to leave her be for a couple days and see if anything changes.
The only thing I've changed was to empty the reservoir and that shouldn't affect the PH or PPM of the media.

In a couple days I'll water her at the stalk and check the runoff.
I think it will be fine because she's not drinking much yet and messing with the PH