What's new

PC Grow DWC:My First Grow

JlMH4LPERT

Couple flower pics... things seem to be going well. Is there a point in the
flowering where the buds will start growing at a faster rate or will the rate of
bud growth remain consistant until the end?

Pic of another flower and a close up

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You'll probably find they'll put on some weight in their last weeks mate.

Have you got yourself a little microscope yet? It's the best way to tell if your ladies are done - you can pick one up from radio shack for about $5 (so I've heard, I don't actually live in the US but used to, and radio shack has everything :D). A little hand held one with a light should be all you need. (and you can even hold it infront of your camera and get some photos of your trichomes)

Do you know about clear/amber/trichomes and harvest times? Browning hairs are a sign that you're getting near the end now :D

So about now you're on day 55 flower, you must be getting excited - can't be too far from the end now!

Last edited:

JlMH4LPERT

I assumed I should be watching my hairs the whole time and I think what I expected was white hairs to just turn to amber over a couple days towards the end, but they have been orange for as long as 3 weeks in places...
So tomm Im off to every radioshack so I can check trichs... the true indicator

Also something to consider, I found a tutorial to water cure fresh buds in one week, this takes from flavor, scent, and weight (but doesnt effect thc levels)... any experiences with water cure? I am going a on roadtrip and since its for personal use weight wont be an issue for me to get over, but to mask smell on a long car ride sounds like a sweet deal! But to sacrifice taste on my first harvest is kind of depressing to think about.

So with all that in mind... my main question is how long do you guys think if we were air curing... should i start it on water now to flush it out or will only the microscope tell?

The idea with a water cure is i can feed it nutes till the day i finish, it will mask the smell, and have smokeable bud in a week... even throw a lemon peel in with the water to experiment with new tastes.

Suggestions!?

btw thanks for the suggestion for the microscope, they are always sold out... i am considering ordering off their website

Here is a shot of our biggest flower... orange hairs for the most part

Blurry canopy shots... did the best i could sorry, as you can see the majority of the hairs have turned orange. However, underneath the canopy our white hairs are still white... could we top off all of our shoots and let the shoots growing beneath the canopy fill out?

Last edited:
Just finished reading your diary... i'm very impressed.

I've been working on my pc case for a micro grow and yours is inspirational!

Can't wait til my setup is running :)

JlMH4LPERT

Thanks Wascally Wabbit... definately the best computer I own! (and it never gets outdated)
Let me know if you have any questions...

JlMH4LPERT

DAY55 Flower

DAY55 Flower

Ok its definately a challenge gettin the microscope pictures but heres the best i got from my first time today...

From what I can tell trichs are looking a little cloudy but seem like they need more time yet I have been going by this chart...

btw if you have a 100x microscope... hold it up to an lcd monitor its pretty cool

Last edited:

JlMH4LPERT

DAY56 Flower

DAY56 Flower

Heres a canopy shot (notice the leaves turning on the seedling) cant get a good setup with my cam and the microscope.
Its really difficult to distinguish between cloudy and clear being the first time I looked at the plant through a microscope, but I would say they are for the most part still clear, any advice when it comes to judgung cloudiness?

Last edited:

JlMH4LPERT

DAY57

DAY57

The plan is to water cure the top of the plant to take on a road trip, so fert till the end, water cure first harvest. (from my research from what i can tell by doing this method for only 3-4 days i can retain some of its taste)Then we will raise the ramains of the plant (shoots budding on the bottom) closer to the light so that they are allowed ample light to fully develope, these will be backed off the nutes and cured several diff ways or to dwights liking...

So correct me if this doesnt make any sense, but from what i can tell the top of the plant's trichs are half cloudy and half clear... for example viewing the trichs at 100x i can see side by side trichs one cloudy/one clear. Does this sound right, if so should i be keeping a close eye on the plant over the next few days?

Last edited:

JlMH4LPERT

DAY58 Flower

DAY58 Flower

Canopy/case and then some trichs (how do you keep from shaking the micrpscope?)

Ok here is an example of waht i would say is a cloudy trich on the left, but of course when the sun went down 3 min later and i got the same shot im not sure how judge them.

Last edited:
G

excellent job on the grow much props to you both....any thoughts on another run after this one??

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
rkrone said:
excellent job on the grow much props to you both....any thoughts on another run after this one??

I hope so, I've enjoyed this thread - good to see the grow all the way through. Maybe try another run with some serious LST? - see if you guys could get a horizontal grow :D

JlMH4LPERT

You guys made it possible so thank you...

Sammet i would love to do a horizontal grow in this PC, without a doubt adding at least double the wattage and doing some serious LST, i saw a forum somewhere titled how low can you go and it can go pretty low!

My buddy's micro

The area looks small but the lights are adjustable to up to 4' tall

The door is made of black felt, and since velcro was used as you roll the door up it sticks in place... major issue is ventilation and as you may be able to tell his first plant didnt take to the nutes (he measured out 4x the seedling amt cause hes a newb) as far as the ventilation goes im gonna buy some "T" pvc connectors and install several along the bottom for light blockage and air movement for him. Any way no pics of the case shut my bad ( :joint:... )
but the entire outside is an artificial christmas tree box that is in the back of a closet, perfect stealth!

And as for future plans...
I have an idea for a dwc system, with a shared resevoir and about 4-6 "pots" except instead of pots the resevoir will be constructed from pvc, and 6" pvc will be filled with a shared water supply and will actually have an easy access for ph testing, inserting a frozen water bottle and ppm (which i have yet to learn) I havent seen anything like it before but im sure someone has thought of it before... yeah looking back on that description i realized ill have to at least draw that out for you guys...

the dashes represent PVC to connecting the 6 pieces... once they fit together snugly pour my nute solution straight inside the PVC and fill it up to touch my baskets (haha and that one labeled bucket in the bottom right is actually the same as a basket I am just a moron) Also, not drawn in, the air pump of course... which i plan to hang next time around so its not able to vibrate and so will make no noise... running the hose from the pump the airstone Im not sure exactly how I would do yet, I have a couple approaches but thats another day
What do you guys think!?

Main inspiration for my next stealth http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=29593&highlight=swc+og (NGB case) but instead of making side by side chambers i want to make everything stacked on top of each other... from bottom to top i want the mother/veggie chamber... which vents into the flowering room above, which vents to the top of the flowering room (which will be a gap for an adjustable light fixture, in this space i will place some ONA) which will be then vented throught the top throught carbon filter all inside of one of these http://www.amazon.com/Durable-Portable-Closet-Clothing-Wardrobe/dp/B000GHIHW0 (preferrably skinnier and taller OR possibly cutting an entire bedroom closet short 2-3 ft and going otally covert!)

and i like this design of a sterlite container carbon filter found in this thread http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=31605&highlight=carbon+filter so i think i will be using this concept to come up with somethign a little new :D

Last edited:

JlMH4LPERT

DAY62 Flower Eve of my first harvest...

DAY62 Flower Eve of my first harvest...

Ahh its a shame to have to cut down this mini forest of delight

So these are springing up spiratically all over the plant... Amber!?

So this contratption will hang our buds (looks short becuase we are only topping the plant tomorrow) and then fill this with warm tap water...keeping this in a dark place of course. Close pins will hold buds suspended as to not make contact with anything BUT water (so no losing trichs from contact with sides of bucket)

By lifting at the ends i can take the buds out of the water, dump the res, refill the res with warm water then carefully sbmerge our buds once again. So swap the res once or twice a day with warm tap for six days straight on the 7th day using a radiator with temp control and a very small space or a food dehydrator (not sure if i will have the 40 bucks) it will be dried and good times will be had. :D

Last edited:
G

in regards to the dry after a water cure...you dont have to use any radiators or anything like that, you can essentially just air dry if you have the time and patience...but if i remember correctly you are on a time constraint, so good luck with the cure.

edit: and get some of this recent stuff up in the pc case growers club, this was a really great grow and it should be shown off :D

Last edited: