What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

p90x

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
yeah i ordered it the other day - im going to follow the plan / diet and document my progress. everyone i talk to said as long as you stick to it the results are insane

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
if you stop drinking soda, and replace with water, you will lose 20 lb's right off the bat....

my experience with P90X is that i looked forward to it, EVERYDAY!!!

COULDN'T wait to do it!

SERIOUSLY look into a recovery drink as these workouts can put you into damn near diabetic shock afterwards....

BiG H3rB Tr3E

Veteran
if you stop drinking soda, and replace with water, you will lose 20 lb's right off the bat....

my experience with P90X is that i looked forward to it, EVERYDAY!!!

COULDN'T wait to do it!

SERIOUSLY look into a recovery drink as these workouts can put you into damn near diabetic shock afterwards....

Recovery drink?

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Recovery drink?

yes, after a very intense workout, your sugar levels are all used up and you feel really weird, your out of it, confused, slow, dont want to do anything but sit...

for me, its similar to going into diabetic shock....

your body needs to "recover", that's why you need a recovery drink...

many people use simple things like a couple pop tarts or chocolate milk to recover quickly and effectively...

YES, these are not the best things in the world for you, but it makes a huge difference and your workout should negate that...

personal favorite is Dark Energy by MHP, makes you shit dark blue the next day, but works SO FUCKING GOOD....

workout that first day and see how you feel for the next few hours, if you feel like absolute shit, you NEED a recovery drink, makes a world of a difference......

W

Wookieefoot

Like others have said if you never really work out and you are planning on just jumping into P90X... shit hurts. If you take it seriously and aren't "doggin'" it. First couple of times I did it I wanted to throw up. I could barely do 2 pull-ups when I started. It works but it takes dedication.

Also like others have said, there are plenty of free options out there. P90X is better for people that need someone to tell them exactly what to do.

If your 20-30 lbs over weight might wanna try and cut some pounds first. It makes P90X a lot easier. If you buy the DVDs it comes with a nutrition/meal plan.

Oh yeah, LoL to the guy that posted the torrent link to piratebay! Can we do that on icmag??? :biglaugh: You can get digital copies with the meal plan/paperwork also, hehe.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
thepiratebay.se torrent P90X2_Deluxe_DVD_Rip with_Docs Tony_Horton_s_P90X

This is also a great video lecture series
http:// thepiratebay.se torrent TTC_Video - Nutrition_Made_Clear

"recover drinks" are like the supplements of the cannabis industry.

Most are total bullshit.

Krunch is right about if youve pushed yourself far, your body will be experiencing acidosis, but any regular sports drink will fix the condition.

There is nothing magic in those drinks, unless you believe in obecalp.

On a tangent, most people overdue protein intake. Muscles burn carbs, not protein, if you load up on protein and zero carbs, your body will 'waste time' converting the protein into carbs (in your liver i believe).

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
More protein is not necessarily better.

if you dont have enough carbs, the protein is stripped of its Nitrogen bond and turned into a carb anyway.

Excess protein also leads to excess Hydrogen ions floating around, necessitating more frequent urination and exposing yourself to potential kidney stones.

Your body cant store protein, so you need a steady supply, but these > 60g protein drinks are a joke. If they are tearing up your stomach, then youve experienced the effects ive highlighted.

infants need 2g/kg of body weight
adolescents need 1g/kg of body weight
endurance athletes need 1.2-1.4
and
Strength athletes need 1.4-1.8

burn victims need > 2

Bionic

Cautiously Optimistic
Veteran
More protein is not necessarily better.

if you dont have enough carbs, the protein is stripped of its Nitrogen bond and turned into a carb anyway.

Excess protein also leads to excess Hydrogen ions floating around, necessitating more frequent urination and exposing yourself to potential kidney stones.

Your body cant store protein, so you need a steady supply, but these 40+g protein drinks are a joke. If they are tearing up your stomach, then youve experienced the effects ive highlighted.

More protein is better is you're trying to build lean mass. I don't think anyone has suggested not eating carbs. I believe 20-30% of total daily kcal should be carbs. People looking for lean mass accrual through weight training will have a greater need for protein than a sedentary individual. I'm just suggesting that there are far better and cheaper alternatives for getting nutrients than over-hyped/priced supplements.

litebuzz

It's awesome, you will definitely see results. If you follow it, it would be impossible not to get results. It kicked my ass big time...and I only did it for 30 days before having a heavy pallet get dropped on the top of my hand. After that I couldn't do the pullups and pushups. I'm so close to starting it again because I should have the time soon...it's really only 1hr 15mins a day so there's really not a good enough excuse to not do it...for me anyway.

zenoonez

Veteran
P90x is no joke. It is some intense shit. As to whether you can do it yourself, sure you can you can plan out workouts that vary the way you are working your muscles and do essentially the same thing. However, p90x makes it easy you just pop in the dvd and go to town. I had a guy I went to high school who had gained a lot of weight since, he lost about 150 lbs over about a 7 month period and got in the best shape of his life. I have never had the gumption to stick to doing it, love food too much to follow the diet and have a hard time getting in the routine. As we speak I am about to go bust out a session to try to get back in the habit. We gonna do this? Post starting weights and everything?

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
More protein is better is you're trying to build lean mass. I don't think anyone has suggested not eating carbs. I believe 20-30% of total daily kcal should be carbs. People looking for lean mass accrual through weight training will have a greater need for protein than a sedentary individual. I'm just suggesting that there are far better and cheaper alternatives for getting nutrients than over-hyped/priced supplements.

i think we are both just highlighting the futility of many supplements.

taking protein @ 3-4g/kg of body weight (220lb = 100kg) is useless. You are just wasting money because protein is generally more expensive than carbs, and your body will turn them into carbs anyway.

That TTC Video is hosted by the director of sports nutrition for Balyor, and the dietitian for the Houston Texans.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So what say we all start together on March 5th?

Gives everyone 2 weeks or so to get it downloaded, and get the following equipment -

pullup bar - http://amzn.com/7245456321
hand weights or resistance bands - http://amzn.com/B002L6WO5U
a chair
some decent shoes for exercising

Optional items -
body fat caliper & measuring tape - http://amzn.com/B002VAPHXW
pushup stands - http://amzn.com/B002OEQ50Y
yoga block - http://amzn.com/B000VUAGAS
yoga mat -

For those of you with nothing at all, this is a nice package with bands and a p90x style pullup bar - http://amzn.com/B003V5JQ2O

BiG H3rB Tr3E

Veteran
A half-liter of milk is all you need for recovery post-workout. Don't waste money on "recovery drinks." Like most supplements, they're over-priced unnecessary BS. Also, don't fuck with protein powders. Buy a carton of liquid egg whites and just mix em with juice or plain and knock em back. Also, more protein = more lean mass.

Big H3rb, did you you get my PM? I hope it wasn't overwhelming. LOL!

Yeah i got the PM. I havent looked into any of it yet but i will. As for milk >> i really cant drink that shit. my body for whatever reason has become anti-dairy. so now when i drink milk or eat alot of cheese it makes me sick to my stomach. i just got surgery on my hand so ive just been running and walking - no lifting for the last couple weeks. so before i start p90 im going to start my normal lifting and biking so that when i start the p90 my body is back used to daily physical strain.

BiG H3rB Tr3E

Veteran
We gonna do this? Post starting weights and everything?

Yeah im down. My first hurdle is to get my hand healed as i just had surgery on it to remove a bunch of glass from my hand ((i was in a accident and police took me to jail rather than hospital)). its been about 2 weeks and i got to get the stitches out on tuesday. so im hoping by march 1 i will have been able to get at least a week of weights and and cardio before i jump into p90 on the first.

right now im @ 240lb (not sure what my bf%). My goal is to be at 220 and cut. im going to document starting body weight. and how well i can maintain pushups pullups. right now i can do about 40-50 push ups and about 10-15 pullups. im hoping to be able to double those numbers by september/november and be around 210-220. i used to be 180 when i was surfing 2x a day and riding my bike all over town. at 180 im about as skinny as i can get so with a good strentgh regiment im thinking about 210-220 is where i should be

kmcb

i just downloaded the full workout from pirate bay along w/another torrent with all the docs scanned as pdfs etc. gotta have both torrents for the full set. ill let you know if it works in 8 weeks :D

L

longearedfriend

my brain always links to the p90 for half a second when I read the name of the program
p90.jpg

Is there a link between the names ?