What's new

ozone machine thread

bakelite

The reason is cost cutting and convenience , ozone and ESP is half the overall cost of filters to industry , larger ones contain a tonne of carbon and last six months or less.

Foomar,
That is interesting and makes sense. I knew it has already been in use for various industries. I imagine the use of ozone to eliminate voc's etc. has a smaller "carbon footprint" versus using activated carbon.

this most definitely helps. i had read after your original post that the ozone did degrade the carbon, but the carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide creation is important info to have.

that article does not mention amounts of those toxic chemicals created. aren't both of these in cigarette smoke as well?

so i don't know if the amounts are really damaging to humans in a living area. like i said i had this setup for years with no adverse affects to me, family members or pets.

the article does also say this about ozone...

with all of that said, in the future i will build unit in reverse order. carbon scrubber first and then ozone capture and clean box ;)

GP, I would think that the level of CO2 and CO being generated would depend on the mount of voc's (in our case terpenes etc.) that are present in the air at the time of oxidation.

What would be optimal is to run the ozone scrubbed air through this stuff:
http://www.caruscorporation.com/content.cfm/carulite-200

It is a catalyst that converts O3 into O2.

I agree. The negative effects of ozone have been exaggerated in recent years, especially by the EPA. Hence all the hysteria over air cleaners that produce it. IMO if you limit the time that an ozone machine is on in a room, then you can minimize any deleterious effects that it may have on you.
-bakelite

eyes

Veteran
Have done site inspections at a number of midlands industrial estates this week and had a closer look at how they manage smell and pollutants on a larger scale and talked to a couple of engineers.

Most no longer use carbon filters but the steel caseing is left in place to act as a mixing chamber for ozone.

Primary treatment is a modern efficient electrostatic precipitator , ozone is then injected at 25 g/hour and up from a machine the size of a small car , sensor at the exhaust controls ozone rate with demand.

The reason is cost cutting and convenience , ozone and ESP is half the overall cost of filters to industry , larger ones contain a tonne of carbon and last six months or less.

would love to see the inner workings of that ozone machine as well as the element they use to create the ozone. ecp percipitators- would that be the same as the ones used in hvas but on a larger scale? id also be interested in the mixing chamber and how its baffled for what cfms are run through it. very interesting.

City Twin

Does anyone have any experience with odor removing CFL's?

Do they work?

I like them. Have 2 fairly large dogs that are allowed inside in poor weather. House was starting to smell of them. Stuck one in an open lamp and the smell diminished in a couple of hours. Being an Ozone guy from way back I was quite delighted with the little bulb.

Used it in a small unsealed closet setup and it worked fine till flowering came on strong.

eyes

Veteran
growclean- ive got experience with them. thats there other site must be there original. i bought a xt 400 from them and later sold it to another grower. it worked well. prices are tremendously marked up just as anything else.

Ive been thinking of making my own but as anything a pain in the ass to get the parts. mucho running around as this hobby dictates. ive used the uvonairs both there ultra violet which are weak and there c.d unit. the cd unit glass broke and the transformers shit the bed. ill give the guy credit at mold xx his generators do work well its the price i cant get past.

yrs ago some company made a genny,it was blue,light blue that put out a boat load of ozone. any one with a pic of that or a name would be appreciated.

growclean

Grow Clean.... Go Fast!
With the application that I am using it for, it will be working to eliminate odors from all rooms, instead of multiple carbon filters being replaced every year. If it works, and lasts... the price will be worth it I think.

What I also like about that unit is that I can set it in my duct, and then remove it and put it an empty room, seal it up and kill everything... or so these are my thoughts...

foaf

Veteran

BigDawg

do they make any good ozone generators that run on batteries or can be charged? Might be nice for transporting in the trunk or something.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Dont know about that, but I have seen ones that plug into the cigarette lighter outlet in the car.

You could get one of those and get a female plug and a battery pack to make it portable.

B

BlueJayWay

I've been looking into some form of odor control as my grow in the basement is filling up the house with sweet skunky flavors. I don't really mind myself, sometimes it's overwhelming but some plug-ins, incense, candles and the scentsy cover it up nicely and sometimes coming back to the house after a few hours, there's no smell of the grow whatsoever in the main house as long as the candles are going or whatever, obviously downstairs it's a different story.

For me, the thought of a carbon filter that is bulky, needing to be replaced or refilled, and attached/reattached to the venting system just seems annoying.

The thought of opening a box and plugging in an "air purifier" (ozone gen) and walking away and for anywhere between $100 and $300 and can last for years and only needs small simple parts replaced at those intervals, just seems very IDEAL.

And then you go and read the "don't get it you will die" comments and the "carbon filters are SO much better" and "it smells and i get a headache" then the opposite end you get "ozone kills odor 100%, best option PERIOD." "I've used it for years no problem no headaches i love it." so WTF man? LOL can't there be one simple answer?

I've done very little research BUT i think the discrepancies are clear.

"home units" produce between just a few mg/hr up to around 400mg/hr and are mostly user controlled as to how much to produce and at what intervals/how often.

http://www.air-zone.com/models.html#400800 for example

The "hydro" units (big blue, uvonair etc) produce copious amounts of ozone to the tune of 750mg/h to 4,000mg/hr on the larger units

http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?ic=AOCBB04&eq=&Tp= for example

To me it seems obvious. No one has complaints about the "home" units, but many have positive feedback about the home units controlling their smell just fine, and use smaller amounts and more controlled amounts of ozone release.

Many have complaints about the "hydro" units pumping out a shit-ton of ozone and i'm sure some use enough ozone in a small home grow that is really designed for a huge commercial grow.

So with all that running through my head, I think I will order the Air-Zone®XT-400 that puts out 13 mg/hr - 400 mg/hr and the rate and frequency can be user adjusted as needed.

I will probably throw it in the open living room that the stairs lead up to and see if it handles the odor "leaks" that are my particular issue, maybe i'll throw it downstairs and see what it does there too.

The site also sells ozone tester strips, mold testing strips and even ozone senser/meters to control what level you want to keep it at.

Any thoughts?? Anyone by chance used this site and has feedback (as i haven't)? They seem to have product solutions for the closet grower all the way up to the VERY large warehouse grows...

BlueJ

eyes

Veteran
carbon should be the main filter with ozone in the duct. 24/7 filter filtration is needed to keep negative pressure in the room.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
BlueJayWay said:
The "hydro" units (big blue, uvonair etc) produce copious amounts of ozone to the tune of 750mg/h to 4,000mg/hr on the larger units

Hi bluewayjay, the uvonair 1000 produces 7.6mg/hr according uvonair, their 3000 produces 29mg/hr and their 5000 produces 47mg/hr...... Not all uvonair ozone gennys pump out copious amounts of ozone. But I see what your saying and it's an interesting point.

I'm probably going with a uvonair 1000 to ensure no smell sneaks out of the room my tent is is.... Wondering if it will be best placed in my attic where the exhaust goes into or in the room itself that the tent sits in.

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was just thinking about my ozone gen today...Im in the process of developing a ozone drying chamber,,this should be fun as its the smelliest part of the whole operation

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
I wouldnt pump ozone intp a chamber full of drying buds, or you will strip all the smell out of the buds themselves.
treating the exhaust air from a drying chamber would work though,
I have a similar idea, for trimming, sort of like a glovebox for mushroom growing, but bigger, with a little bathroom fan and ozone genny.