What's new

Outdoor seed run for season 2011

out of all the strains your growing rocket. what one has shown flowers first? is there a most vigolrous strain too or are they all the same?
nice selection of males there for a very early finishing cross. the erd/purt is really good looking strain. i wonder what would be the biggest yielder from those 3 males you have to play with would be.
how are you pollenating them btw? when I pollinated i shook the mail in full pollen blooming over the plants i was pollenating, that got me thousands (maybe 4-6) from 2 auto ak 47, but since you have different males to choose from are you going to collect it and brush it on? what will you know whats crossed with what otherwise

rocket high

Veteran
EG/MMxGG was the earliest of the whole bunch and was pre-flowering in veg but i dont know who will produce the most but the B3N7xErd/Purt looks like it will pack the weight on down the line ... i collect the pollen in a bag & go to the kitchen where the plant is and brush them with a artists hog hair brush and cover the main cola with a zip bag so it wont get pollenated (thats for a bit of sensi for me to try when their ready) ;) but i only used the one kind of pollen for 3 plants tonight so not to mix up the pollens in the air, i'll do more tomorrow, oh i also sprayed the kitchen with water to catch the pollen in the air to reduce stray pollen from getting out of hand.

plants are really budding now ... cant wait for the end result.

some pics for ya's.

Erd/Purt F1 (purple pheno)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Heres the pics of the B3/N7/MMxGG

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Here's the hashplant pics

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

mosstrooper

i collect the pollen in a bag & go to the kitchen where the plant is and brush them with a artists hog hair brush and cover the main cola with a zip bag so it wont get pollenated (thats for a bit of sensi for me to try when their ready) but i only used the one kind of pollen for 3 plants tonight so not to mix up the pollens in the air

Good method.

And Wow, either you have hands the size of a 7 year old, or things have moved on big time.

rocket high

Veteran
Good method.

And Wow, either you have hands the size of a 7 year old, or things have moved on big time.

Indeed Mossy these strains move at break neck speed and to be completely honest im starting to think ive bitten off more than i can chew... tis a lot of work.... its like having two jobs. when i come home from my day job ive got a hour to eat something then it's off to work on the girls till yawn time.... i think when the hydro's finnished things will be alot easier but thats not for another couple of weeks so i'll have to just get on with it .

i'll post more pics tonight

mosstrooper

its like having two jobs. when i come home from my day job ive got a hour to eat something then it's off to work on the girls till yawn time....

Poor rocket, life is hard mate:)

My HP2's are just starting to trigger into growth, i always have this with seedlings, they just take an age to get going, i never seem to get that uber vigorous growth from the start the way some folks do, i think i'm gonna really look into this soil biology stuff, i'm convinced that better microbes would make for better growth. Can you tell i've been reading the brew your own tea threads?

MJBadger

Veteran

Look very closely at the pic & think of a someones blow up doll posed for the shot .

rocket high

Veteran
hi mossy

Ive got 2 x 400w HPS ballasts ...running Grolux's and thats all ... im thinking of adding another 400w to make 1200w as it would give better coverage than 2 x 600w.

i need to start prepping the outdoor location very soon ... as i might reveg the plants to get clones ready but i dont think there will be enough time tbh

mosstrooper

What im going to do with my HP2 is use the seed plants as mothers, ill take cuttings asap and flower those, im hoping to plant out quite a few cuttings, but id also like to make some seeds with Nirvana Short Ryder before June if possible, in which case ill plant them out too, hopefully 25% or more will be Auto.. I have yet to germinate my Scottish and Purple Nepal, i just dont have the lighst at the mo, the HP2 get 12 under 600w hps, then another 9 or so under the window.

rocket high

Veteran
Here's some pics from today of the B3/N7 x Erd/Purt indica dom plant , semi-purple by the looks of it ... she will be ripe for a cross with Hashplant2 i think i'll pollinate her in a couple of days when the HP2 male is ready to drop more pollen.

heres the pics

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

mosstrooper

This stuff you could cut into sections, and bed down around the stem of your plant, its copper impregnated so slugs and snals dont like it, it also suppresses weeds. Im pretty sure you can get this alot cheaper if you can find a 50m roll though.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Agralan-Slug-...ants_Weed_Pest_Control_CV&hash=item33652c4a79

This also is very interesting

http://www.ecplaza.net/product/66935_1584784/softguard_chitosan_oligo.html
Chitin itself is the subject of exciting medical experiments. When applied to human wounds and surgical cloths, it accelerates the skin healing process. An acidic mixture of chitin, when applied to burns, also accelerates the healing process. Left on for a few days, it can heal a third-degree bun completely. It has been shown to support the immune system during certain kinds of illness-blocking procedures. Chitosan, chitin's spinoff, has been known to aid plants' immune systems while they are growing. When placed on a seed, it induces protective measured within the growing plant.

rocket high

Veteran
Hi mossy

The chinese fertilizer is a minimum order of 1000 litres ...sounds good too...
maybe you should become the uk distributor of this stuff mossy :)

copper tape is even cheaper or copper wire would be the budget option ... it works tho. it depends on you budget i suppose .

mosstrooper

I agree, the copper membrane is very dear, but its the only one on ebay and i think theyre taking the piss a bit, im certain you could get it cheaper. But yeah, tape and wire and copper pot scrubbers are all cheap too.

That chinese chitin based stuff sounds great, its made from crab and shrimp waste, so being in Scotland your never that far from a shrimp processing plant, there is one very near me, i might ask if i can have a few buckets of waste to compost, see if i can liberate some of these compounds, im googling the topic this evening for amusement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitosan
According to Wiki, its made from the skeletons of crustaceans water and caustic soda (sodium hydroxide). Sounds very kitchen chemistry to me.

Somebody's Shrimp compost thread.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chitin-chitos...rden_Plants_Fertiliser_CV&hash=item41568d30ac

rocket high

Veteran
Hi mossy

So its just a by-product of the seafood industry sound's interesting ...surely theres somebody here that makes a similar product ... i would watch not to overload the plants with too much sodium, i suppose you would have to incorporate it into you fertilizer feed .

mosstrooper

I read up on this all night last night. Obviously, its simpler to just buy Chitosan, you can get 1 ltr for 25 quid including the postage, and this make up 300-500ltrs mixed, you use a weak solution on seeds pre germination, a few foliar sprays and a few root soakings say 4 of each.

Having said that, you can make your own too, from what i gather, if you just want to make plant food, its simple enough, if you want to make liquid bandages and medical products you need more of a laboratory.

The method it seems is to boil, a load of pre-washed, pre boiled, pre crushed crab/prawn/shrimp/crayfish waste in a strong solution of caustic soda, this changes the chitin into chitosan, if you do this open to the air you dont get the super long polymers that make this such a useful treatment for burns. Once boiled to death in caustic, you drain the caustic solution off and wash well, maybe boil in fresh water to be sure. The white/off white shell that is left is your chitosan. This can be dissolved in vinegar, which in turn can be watered down with water and added to watering water.

Problem being, i have no idea what im talking about :)
And, even if what i say is right, i also have no idea what the concentration of this home-made product would be. You can get test kits i beleive though, but im no chemist. I can just get a lot of crustacean waste.

rocket high

Veteran
wow mossy thats alot of work to be taking on just for one fertilizer but if you want to make it you'll have to find out the quantity's that are involved and temps to boil at ... sounds a ball ache, lol. what would your house smell like after this process ..

Latest posts

Latest posts