What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Origins of the Virus

mowood3479

Veteran
Yup. Think of all the viruses that have cut lives short.
Seems it's similar to what we have experienced/endured this past 379 days, after everything shut down mid-March.

Think of all the government bombs and bullets that have cut lives short.

mowood3479

Veteran
For some strange reason, i thought you were an American, so i answered as if you were an American. My apologies.
I for one, do not feel “stuck in an authoritarian surveillance state nightmare”.

As an aside, by their very nature, viruses are neither living nor dead. Viruses do not eat, sleep, breath or procreate. Viruses are, simply stated, a very small piece of genetic material that is able to self-replicate if and when the conditions are right, by hijacking a cell’s internal structures. The cell is destroyed in the process and the replicated viruses then move on, repeating the process.

I am familiar with the difficulty that scientists have had with attempting to replicate the sars2 virus when collected from surfaces and have yet to read/hear why this virus is different from other virus that can spread through fomites. However, Just because scientists haven’t been able to replicate them in a lab, doesn’t convince me that when the virus lands on a surface it is incapable of replicating inside of a host. While that may very well be true, this virus has continually proven to surprise us with it’s insidious nature and i will continue behaving as if public area surfaces are contaminated.

Well, surface transmissions are exceedingly rare.. but go ahead and practice ur own disinfection theatre... it’s hilarious

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
For some strange reason, i thought you were an American, so i answered as if you were an American. My apologies.
I for one, do not feel “stuck in an authoritarian surveillance state nightmare”.

As an aside, by their very nature, viruses are neither living nor dead. Viruses do not eat, sleep, breath or procreate. Viruses are, simply stated, a very small piece of genetic material that is able to self-replicate if and when the conditions are right, by hijacking a cell’s internal structures. The cell is destroyed in the process and the replicated viruses then move on, repeating the process.

I am familiar with the difficulty that scientists have had with attempting to replicate the sars2 virus when collected from surfaces and have yet to read/hear why this virus is different from other virus that can spread through fomites. However, Just because scientists haven’t been able to replicate them in a lab, doesn’t convince me that when the virus lands on a surface it is incapable of replicating inside of a host. While that may very well be true, this virus has continually proven to surprise us with it’s insidious nature and i will continue behaving as if public area surfaces are contaminated.

no apologies needed, i see this silly comment all the time about WW2 from Americans. they want to evoke the huge tragedy the world suffered and say this is the same thing. but it just isn't. 90 million people in a matter of a few years lost their lives. cities full of civilians were fire bombed from the sky, thousands of men died by the minute in some of the battles, nearly every corner of the globe was at war. there is just no decent way to compare the 2 events. you are not getting bombed are you? are you starving? freezing? is your food rationed? are all men in your family conscripted to fight? are your relatives in death camps? so please fucking stop with the ww2 comparisons. its insulting to the 90 million human souls we humans murdered, starved etc.

back to the topic of Tyranny, are you sure you would recognize it if it was being built right under your nose? maybe you prefer to wait till its finished being built to protest? government is there to represent us and our wish to be governed well, honestly and fairly. they only have power as long as the people they represent agree that they have the power. watch out when the masses decide to take it back. French revolution anyone?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
did you guys read, yesterday yahoo ran an article saying the cdc recons its time to put away all the sanitizers and stop all the crazy disinfection of surfaces in private settings. i realized months and months ago that washing your hands with soap is all you need. have not used a drop of hand sanitizer since 6 months. it was never logical to believe covid could spread through surfaces, had that been true, we would be in a real pandemic with 10 to 20% mortality or more. it was always about sharing air for prolonged periods and finally the authorities are admitting it.

2 days ago i read a British minister saying it was time to accept that we wont be getting rid of covid and that life must go on anyway.

with any luck sanity will return before we are fully stuck in the authoritarian surveillance state nightmare they are building for us, for ever.

It is silly to think it impossible that a virus cannot be 'picked up' from a surface. Science never says 'impossible'. It ONLY asks evidentiary questions.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
public health measures have to make sense, telling people they can't go to the beach because of covid is stupid, you don't catch covid outside in the sun and fresh air, you catch it in hospitals and offices and homes, you know INSIDE.

you can sure disagree with what ever you like, but i would like to note that you said the same stuff was done in the 1918 pandemic, i was pointing out how thats very unlikely. at this point you change track and seem to actually approve of the total tyranny involved in invading peoples private homes for public health reasons.

it would be 1 thing if the government rules were consistent and logical, or if we could trust them to ever give up all the new power they grabbed, but we can't.

comparing this to ww2 really deserves no comment. you seem to think only your yanky lives matter, but ww2 cost the world around 90 million lives my friend, just cause you guys got off light, you seem to forget about eryone else it seems. ever hear of the 6 million by any chance? yep that was in ww2. what about the 28 million dead Russians? also in ww2.

Quite certain I caught it outside. Don't believe everything you read.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no apologies needed, i see this silly comment all the time about WW2 from Americans. they want to evoke the huge tragedy the world suffered and say this is the same thing. but it just isn't. 90 million people in a matter of a few years lost their lives. cities full of civilians were fire bombed from the sky, thousands of men died by the minute in some of the battles, nearly every corner of the globe was at war. there is just no decent way to compare the 2 events. you are not getting bombed are you? are you starving? freezing? is your food rationed? are all men in your family conscripted to fight? are your relatives in death camps? so please fucking stop with the ww2 comparisons. its insulting to the 90 million human souls we humans murdered, starved etc.

back to the topic of Tyranny, are you sure you would recognize it if it was being built right under your nose? maybe you prefer to wait till its finished being built to protest? government is there to represent us and our wish to be governed well, honestly and fairly. they only have power as long as the people they represent agree that they have the power. watch out when the masses decide to take it back. French revolution anyone?

Critically obtuse. She meant numbers, not comparisons. IME of course.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
no wonder they are having so easy a time implementing world wide tyranny, when people are scared of fresh air and sunshine

St. Phatty

no wonder they are having so easy a time implementing world wide tyranny, when people are scared of fresh air and sunshine

I guess some states actually closed their nature/ forest parks for a while.

The deliberate clustering of people indoors & in shopping malls ... that's what you would do if you wanted the virus to SPREAD.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
with any luck sanity will return before we are fully stuck in the authoritarian surveillance state nightmare they are building for us, for ever.

Please, you asked for people not to compare this to WW2 yet you are calling it "the authoritarian surveillance state nightmare". As you would say, LMAO. I put it to you that nothing anyone is experiencing is anything remotely like an authoritarian state nightmare. Where I live all we have to do is lockdown sometimes and wear masks. As things improve life goes back to normal. These measures arent forever. They are a temporary response to a health crisis, nothing more. The SS aren't going to come in the middle of the night and take you off to a death or re-education camp.

Gry

Veteran

Local vaccine distribution points that I am aware of are outside in the fresh air and sunshine.

Amynamous

Again, i was comparing the US deaths and the sacrifices that the US government asked of its citizens, then and now. I believe i made that pretty clear.
As for Tyranny in the US? Not from covid, nope.Not even close. Maybe in your neck of the woods, but not in mine.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Please, you asked for people not to compare this to WW2 yet you are calling it "the authoritarian surveillance state nightmare". As you would say, LMAO. I put it to you that nothing anyone is experiencing is anything remotely like an authoritarian state nightmare. Where I live all we have to do is lockdown sometimes and wear masks. As things improve life goes back to normal. These measures arent forever. They are a temporary response to a health crisis, nothing more. The SS aren't going to come in the middle of the night and take you off to a death or re-education camp.

i am sorry, but when big tech and government are getting together to created a track and trace covid vaccine pass, they are creating tyranny. when the state takes away your right to protest peaceable, they are implementing tyranny. when the state can fine you for walking on the beach, then yes thats tyranny. pointing out that its not the same as ww2 doesn't mean its not horrific in its own way. maybe in your book locking old people and kids inside for a year is freedom. over here old people in homes are complaining that they are still not allowed outside even after letting themselves get vaccinated with this experimental vaccine. so yeah, i think building up a system where everyone has to be tracked and traced is building up a system of tyranny. you are free to call it building freedom or something.

speaking of the SS, what do you think is happening to people forced in to guarded quarantine hotels when they get home to Canada even with a negative pcr result? is that still not tyrannical?

mowood3479

Veteran
Again, i was comparing the US deaths and the sacrifices that the US government asked of its citizens, then and now. I believe i made that pretty clear.
As for Tyranny in the US? Not from covid, nope.Not even close. Maybe in your neck of the woods, but not in mine.

So, It’s not tyranny to have ur businesses and livelihood hood destroyed via arbitrary + unscientific executive order?
ok good to know...

Amynamous

So, It’s not tyranny to have ur businesses and live hood destroyed via arbitrary + unscientific executive order?
ok good to know...

The US constitution guarantees US citizens the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. The US legal system limits those rights when they infringe on the similar rights of others.
That being said, the government does not owe anyone a living. While I am deeply sorry that some businesses couldn’t cut the covid mustard and some business owners closed their doors, many adapted and are still in business. There have have been multiple opportunities for businesses to apply for PPP $$ to keep their businesses afloat, keep their employees employed and their rent paid. If someone can’t figure out how to keep their lights on when they’re getting free money from the government, well then, perhaps they shouldn’t be running a business.

As an aside, if you feel your state/local government has issued “arbitrary and/or unscientific “ executive orders, i suggest you take it up with them next time they are up for re-election. My state and local government has done a pretty good job steering us through this crisis and their decisions have not been arbitrary nor unscientific. My state and local government has also implemented their own free money for businesses program for local businesses to keep them afloat. One of the nice things about the US is if you don’t like the rules where you are currently living, you can always move to a location that suits you better.

mowood3479

Veteran
The US constitution guarantees US citizens the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. The US legal system limits those rights when they infringe on the similar rights of others.
That being said, the government does not owe anyone a living. While I am deeply sorry that some businesses couldn’t cut the covid mustard and some business owners closed their doors, many adapted and are still in business. There have have been multiple opportunities for businesses to apply for PPP $$ to keep their businesses afloat, keep their employees employed and their rent paid. If someone can’t figure out how to keep their lights on when they’re getting free money from the government, well then, perhaps they shouldn’t be running a business.

As an aside, if you feel your state/local government has issued “arbitrary and/or unscientific “ executive orders, i suggest you take it up with them next time they are up for re-election. My state and local government has done a pretty good job steering us through this crisis and their decisions have not been arbitrary nor unscientific. My state and local government has also implemented their own free money for businesses program for local businesses to keep them afloat. One of the nice things about the US is if you don’t like the rules where you are currently living, you can always move to a location that suits you better.

Ok so you went from There is no tyranny....to if you don’t like the tyranny just move.
thanks for the free advice good buddy

Latest posts

Latest posts