What's new

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OrganicW said:
Hey Burnone, should I change the mix at all on sativas?

I like more perlite for Sativas...
4 parts Canadian Spaghnam Peat or Coir or Pro-Moss
4 parts perlite
2 parts wormcastings or mushroom compost or home made compost
Powdered (NOT PELLETIZED) dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.

Burn1

D

DryAndHigh

edit - I'm dumb and instead of making a whole new post, I'm just going to scrap this one..

My mix is going to be-

5 parts FFOF
3 parts chunky perlite
2 parts worm castings
and added lime

so my question is - can I follow these directions exactly:

BurnOne said:
Wait until the seedlings are three to four weeks old. Then use a half dose of the 5-1-1 fish the first feeding.
Use plain water the next two waterings. Then use the 5-1-1 fish full strength as directed on the label every third watering. When you go to a 12/12 light cycle for flowering, use the 5-1-1 fish for the next two weeks full strength every watering. After two weeks, the stretching should be tapering off and you can use the 2-3-1 fish/seaweed every watering until mid flowering. Then use the 2-4-1 fish until harvest.
Burn1

should I just work up to a full does at a slower rate and flush/tone it down a little if the plants are overfed.. I'm thinking the answer is yes, but I'm a first time grower and have to ask

thanks everyone :friends:

edit 2 - fuck it, I'm going to use LC's mix w/ recipe #5 and FFOF w/ their line of nutes and do a side by side. I'm sure nothing will go wrong considering it's my first grow :muahaha: :laughing: ... but yea, out of curiosity if someone could answer my question about FFOF + recipe #5, that would be awesome

Last edited:

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
This is probably a stupid question

This is probably a stupid question

But... How often do you water plants grown in Peat moss. I've been growing in coco for about two years now and hand watering every day... I'm wanting to try something different.. I intend to use the # 1 mix with the recipe #3 for nutes, only because I already have the supplies...Thanks in advance.

excellent thread BTW :joint:

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cough cough eer-
You'll just have to learn to "read" your plants. Watering needs change throughout the grow due to humidity, temperature and the size of the plants. But it's easy. Don't worry. Just keep an eye on 'em.
Burn1

V

vonforne

cough_cough_eer said:
But... How often do you water plants grown in Peat moss. I've been growing in coco for about two years now and hand watering every day... I'm wanting to try something different.. I intend to use the # 1 mix with the recipe #3 for nutes, only because I already have the supplies...Thanks in advance.

Water your plants and then feel how heavy it is when you are finished watering. As the days progress.....lift daily and take note of the weight. As it gets lighter the water is being used or evaporated. It all depends on the growth stage of the plant also. So you must use your better judgment.

V

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DryAndHigh said:
$25 for 1.5 CF of mostly peat?! :nono: :fsu:

thanks for the help, BurnOne
Yep. I feel the same way. LC's Mix is much better than FFOF IMO. Cheap too.
Burn1

OrganicW

BurnOne, I set up my 5 gal bubbler today. I am getting ready to ger my seeds tomorrow. I have a few questions about worm casting tea. How much for 1 gal, and 5 gal of water? And do I need to put it in a tea bag, or just throw it in the water? Thanks again for your help

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OrganicW-
I use 1 cup worm castings to about four gallons of water. Filling a five gallon bucket to the top is messy and hard to pour. So, use 1/4 cup worm castings per gallon of water.
You can just throw the worm castings into the water. I like to use a queen size knee high stocking. It's a lot less messy. I tie a loop knot into the top of it and suspend through a large paint stirring stick. A couple times a day I'll steep the stocking and squeeze it against the side of the bucket. I have an aquarium pump going with a large airstone weighted down in the bottom of the bucket. A heaping tablespoon of black strap molasses will help as well.
Burn1

Last edited:

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
HA!

HA!

cough_cough_eer said:

She's an old pro fellers don't let her fool ya! lol High there Anita Bonghit, it's so good ta see postin again! I hope all is well! Take care... BC

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
This again? hehehe...

This again? hehehe...

BurnOne said:
FFOF is mostly peat.
Burn1
Well, everyone is entitled to there own opinion I reckon. I've been using FFOF for about 10 years now with nothin but alil perlite added ( 30% ) and grow bushes that produce 2-4 oz's per bush. So I think there maybe alil somethin else in there besides petemoss. But that's jus my opinion. ( shrugs ) Btw, Happy Frog seems ta well too. Good luck with whatever way ya chose ta grow! BC

OrganicW

BurnOne, I though I had some powder dolomite lime but its been about 2 weeks and it still has not show up yet, but I think I have found it somewhere else. But it does not say dolomite lime it says it is

Bonide Hydrated Lime Powder, 10 lbs
Strengthen your garden or potted plants with Bonide Hydrated Lime Powder. Derived from ground limestone, this hydrated lime powder quickly raises soil pH enabling your plants to grow stronger by making it easier for the plant roots to take up nutrients in the soil. A pH of 6.5 to 7.0 is considered to be neutral, although 5.8 to 7.0 is considered suitable for most garden crops and lawns. After performing a soil test to determine your soil pH, simply apply the correct amount of Hydrated Lime required to adjust the desired pH of the soil in your garden and work into the soil. Generally, 3.5 lbs of hydrated lime per 70 sq. ft. will raise the pH unit measure one point on the pH scale and can be applied anytime during the growing season. To annually improve the soil of your potted plants, mix one tablespoon of Bonide Hydrated Lime in one gallon of water and apply as you would normally water. Neutralize your soil acidity with Bonide's Hydrated Lime Powder.

Guaranteed Dry Weight Analysis: Total Calcium: 34.20%
Total Magnesium: 20.40%
Minimum Calcium Oxide: 46.50%
Minimum Magnesium Oxide: 32.00%
Calcium Carbonate Equivalent (CCE): 131.70%
Effective Neutralizing Value (ENV): 129.52%

Will this be ok? Thanks again

dirkdaddy

OrganicW -

No, it's not. you want dolomitic yard lime, not hydrated lime. if you can't find the powdered like you need buy a large bag of pelletized lime from home depot/lowes/garden store and buy a 2-3lb sledge hammer along with it. measure out what you need, double up on some heavy duty clear bags/garbage bags, and go hulk smash on your peletized lime. 30 seconds - 1 minute of a good smashing from a mini sledge will get it powdered easily. this is just the way I do it since I bought a massive bag of pelletized dolomite lime that will easily last me a lifetime. no reason not to use it.

OrganicW

What about espnma organic traditions all natural neutralizer Garden lime. "safer than hydrated lime" ? Its pelletized so I know I will have to smash it if it works.

dirkdaddy

OrganicW said:
What about espnma organic traditions all natural neutralizer Garden lime. "safer than hydrated lime" ? Its pelletized so I know I will have to smash it if it works.
yep, thats the good stuff.

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Guys, with a little effort you can probably find powdered dolomite lime in your area. Use your local Yellow Pages and call around. Make them look for it. I find it all the time at Lowes and Home DePOT in every city I visit. It's usually in a stack of three or four bags all by itself in the garden section. Check local lawn and garden stores as well as agriculture and farm stores. One bag will last a very long time.
Burn1