What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

Digger102

The brown spots are calcium deficiency and the light color green between the veins in the leaf is a magnesium deficiency, two separate things. When you correct the issue, dont look for the current damaged leaves to heal, but rather the new growth looks normal. Calcium can be hindered by your humidity being too low and the stomata are closed, you need them open so the plant can transpire and move calcium in it. Make sure your environment is in check, then look to solve the nutrient issue. Also, this late in flower the best you can do is keep the bud from getting worse, dont throw a ton of shit at it thinking your going to reverse anything. Get your environment in check and I would keep a few bottled nutes or salts around to keep things like this from happeneing again. Also, the next size pot might help too if all you want to do is water.

ReprobateMind

The brown spots are calcium deficiency and the light color green between the veins in the leaf is a magnesium deficiency, two separate things. When you correct the issue, dont look for the current damaged leaves to heal, but rather the new growth looks normal. Calcium can be hindered by your humidity being too low and the stomata are closed, you need them open so the plant can transpire and move calcium in it. Make sure your environment is in check, then look to solve the nutrient issue. Also, this late in flower the best you can do is keep the bud from getting worse, dont throw a ton of shit at it thinking your going to reverse anything. Get your environment in check and I would keep a few bottled nutes or salts around to keep things like this from happeneing again. Also, the next size pot might help too if all you want to do is water.
Thanks. If my environment is in check can I fix the issue by adding Roots Organic CalMag to the water? I'm using a HLG 350r Diablo light.

Digger102

Thanks. If my environment is in check can I fix the issue by adding Roots Organic CalMag to the water? I'm using a HLG 350r Diablo light.
First, what’s your humidity? Not sure why you mentioned what kind of light you’re using, I use a Chinese knockoff. You dont have a light issue, you have a root zone issue. What size pots are you using and how long has the plant been in that pot? Calmag is probably just going to give you harsh buds at this point. How many weeks were you planning on taking them?

SirSkunk

I used LC's Soiless Mix #2 and Amendment Mix #1 from the original post in this thread. I followed the directions exactly which included keeping the mix moist (not wet) and letting it 'cook' for two weeks. The only change I did was watering with some soluble mychorrizae at transplant. Since then, I've been watering with tap water that has bubbled for 24 to 48 hours. The water out of my tap is around 7.2 pH and I have never adjusted it. I have also never added any molasses.

Here are my plants at 5 weeks. What is wrong with them? Are the issues here caused from watering too often? Should I be watering with molasses?
My first guess is to drop that ph to around 6.3 and see if that helps. Have you been getting cold temps? Is your fan blasting one part of the plant?

ReprobateMind

First, what’s your humidity? Not sure why you mentioned what kind of light you’re using, I use a Chinese knockoff. You dont have a light issue, you have a root zone issue. What size pots are you using and how long has the plant been in that pot? Calmag is probably just going to give you harsh buds at this point. How many weeks were you planning on taking them?
rH = 70%
I mentioned using a LED light because I read that LEDs might make plants use more calcium and magnesium.
Pot size = 3 gallon
How long have plants been in the pots? 5 weeks.
How long do I plan on taking them? 9 to 10 weeks.

My first guess is to drop that ph to around 6.3 and see if that helps. Have you been getting cold temps? Is your fan blasting one part of the plant?
No cold temps.
I had an oscillating fan at the bottom of the tent blowing on the walls and not directly on the plants. I turned it off because I have a fan oscillating directly under the LED.

Digger102

rH = 70%
I mentioned using a LED light because I read that LEDs might make plants use more calcium and magnesium.
Pot size = 3 gallon
How long have plants been in the pots? 5 weeks.
How long do I plan on taking them? 9 to 10 weeks.

No cold temps.
I had an oscillating fan at the bottom of the tent blowing on the walls and not directly on the plants. I turned it off because I have a fan oscillating directly under the LED.

Happy Thanksgiving! Your humidity is good> Some of the professional growers and agronomist say keep it at 65% so your stomata dont close. LED's make your plants need a little more of everything, but you still have to keep your ratios in check. I havent looked at the recipe for the soil and nutrient mix, but it sounds like your soil is still a little too young, meaning the microbes havent had a chance to digest all the amendments and the plant has requirements that the soil cant keep up with. Here's something to consider, I've been around the scene about 15 years now, when the super soil craze first started , it used to be mix your soil 8 weeks before you were ready to use it. They used to use big pots and would say fill the bottom half of the pot with the super soil and the top half with something like Happy Frog or Light Warrior, depending on how old the plant was, and let the plant grow into the super soil. This did not include the 8 weeks you waited while the soil composted. When you mixed your soil, did you keep it covered? Did you notice it got warm? They used to teach treat your super soil like compost and turn it every time it got hot and then it was ready to use when it stopped heating up.

Your plants are doing the same thing the bottle guys plants do (like we've all been through) when we stopped feeding too soon in flower because we were worried about green tasting bud. But the key is, the plant needs to be fed all the way through, only adjusting amounts of nutrients as they age. It sounds counterintuitive but the buds need nitrogen to to keep forming, they just need less than when in veg.

Hope that helps.

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
I used LC's Soiless Mix #2 and Amendment Mix #1 from the original post in this thread. I followed the directions exactly which included keeping the mix moist (not wet) and letting it 'cook' for two weeks. The only change I did was watering with some soluble mychorrizae at transplant. Since then, I've been watering with tap water that has bubbled for 24 to 48 hours. The water out of my tap is around 7.2 pH and I have never adjusted it. I have also never added any molasses.

Here are my plants at 5 weeks. What is wrong with them? Are the issues here caused from watering too often? Should I be watering with molasses?
are you growing under LEDs? they look like my plants do when they are getting too much light.

ReprobateMind

are you growing under LEDs? they look like my plants do when they are getting too much light.
Yes I am. I turned down the intensity. Is there something I could add to each watering like CalMag or epsom salt to help them catch up to higher intensity light?

ReprobateMind

So I found that I have a fungus gnat infestation. I mixed this soil and cooked it outside. I think that's how they got in and the over-watering is what caused the infestation. If I order nematodes I think they will freeze in transit because it's below freezing here. I will try Mosquito Bits, Diatomaceous Earth, sticky traps, turning the light intensity way down, and letting the soil completely dry out before I water it each time unless someone has some other suggestions.

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
Yes I am. I turned down the intensity. Is there something I could add to each watering like CalMag or epsom salt to help them catch up to higher intensity light?
i chased this issue for far too long. in the end what helped me was to start them at 350ish ppfd and increase the intensity 100 ppfd every week.

StickyBandit

So I found that I have a fungus gnat infestation. I mixed this soil and cooked it outside. I think that's how they got in and the over-watering is what caused the infestation. If I order nematodes I think they will freeze in transit because it's below freezing here. I will try Mosquito Bits, Diatomaceous Earth, sticky traps, turning the light intensity way down, and letting the soil completely dry out before I water it each time unless someone has some other suggestions.
I tried all that stuff to no avail because new gnats just come in from outside. I really need an intake screen.
What fixed it for me straight away is the little aerosol can with the battery and timer, the same type people have in their kitchen. These will get gnat infestation under control instantly and then preventative measures can be rolled out. There are some natural and some not natural but people are happy to use one in the kitchen and I like big buds :p

Digger102

I have Vectobac which I think is basically the same thing and it doesn't have the same results, but if you prefer to keep everything natural that might be a good option :)
Cool! I dont have the gnat problem. And I'm not natural only, lol. That hippy shit is good for maintenance, but sometimes you need something that actually works in one or two applications at the most. lol I aint got time for guessing, rain dances and voodoo heeby geebies

Burn1

I'm wondering about the kelp you used. I've seen potassium deficiencies show that way on the leaves. Powdered dolomite lime should have taken care of any magnesium and calcium needs. Every strain is different. Good luck with your grow.
Burn1

ReprobateMind

I'm wondering about the kelp you used. I've seen potassium deficiencies show that way on the leaves. Powdered dolomite lime should have taken care of any magnesium and calcium needs. Every strain is different. Good luck with your grow.
Burn1
Thanks. I used Down To Earth kelp meal.

ReprobateMind

Dolomite Lime @ 1/2 tablespoon per gallon
Gypsum @ 1/2 tablespoon per gallon
Oyster Shell Powder @ 1 tablespoon per gallon
Azomite @ 1 to 2 tablespoon per gallon

Does this look like a decent substitution to the soil mix in the OP? I think it covers cal, mag, silica, and sulfur?

Burn1

In my opinion, the most important thing in your organic soil is the microherd. Without that, you can put whatever you want in the mix but it will never make it to your plant. The simple mixes I posted at the front of this sticky have always worked great. The only problem ever was spider mites.
Burn1