What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

Ancient Old Far

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello everyone.
I have recently decided to start growing again after 11 years. Apologies If I interrupted the conversation. The science and technology have gone through the roof since then. I will be growing indoors. i have a Mars Hydro 4x4 with TS3000.
I will be trying organic soils for this grow. This forum contains so much information that if can become bewildering. Does anyone have a opinion on Build a Soil organic mix kits. It looks like some of the guesswork has been taken out using this method. I'm in my late 70's and don't really have time for a long learning curve. Thanks in advance.

xet

I will be trying organic soils for this grow. This forum contains so much information that if can become bewildering. Does anyone have a opinion on Build a Soil organic mix kits.
My professional recommendation to keep it as easy and fun and masterful as humanly possible:

The leaf in my profile photo was grown with this technique. There are many ways to apply this technique but once you get the idea of it your mind ought to light up and run wild with it.

Woven

Hello everyone.
I have recently decided to start growing again after 11 years. Apologies If I interrupted the conversation. The science and technology have gone through the roof since then. I will be growing indoors. i have a Mars Hydro 4x4 with TS3000.
I will be trying organic soils for this grow. This forum contains so much information that if can become bewildering. Does anyone have a opinion on Build a Soil organic mix kits. It looks like some of the guesswork has been taken out using this method. I'm in my late 70's and don't really have time for a long learning curve. Thanks in advance.
Hey there Ancient, funny enough I'm growing for the first time and I'm in my early 20's. I am currently using the build a soil take n bake kit for my outdoor grow. So far I've been having a great experience using this mix; from directly sowing seeds to vegging plants it has been working great. This is pretty impressive considering the fact that I didn't receive the mineral mix that was supposed to be included(didn't realized until a few months later when I actually decided to start the mix). To compensate for that loss I decided to use their craft blend that I already had as an amendment. I'm sure that Jeremey over at build a soil has since improved the mix making it even better than before.

herbgreen

Veteran
Heres a guy making his own bio- char kiln "bio-charlie" style tube like a log makes bio char

Using rice hulls makes for an enhanced upgrade replacement for perlite

herbgreen

Veteran
Nice video w/Michael Whittman Blue sky bio char

Its using wood pellets in a stove that preserves the bio char:biggrin:

herbgreen

Veteran
Free Bio-char course... This guy has alot of good info Very enlightening!:rasta:

Ancient Old Far

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey there Ancient, funny enough I'm growing for the first time and I'm in my early 20's. I am currently using the build a soil take n bake kit for my outdoor grow. So far I've been having a great experience using this mix; from directly sowing seeds to vegging plants it has been working great. This is pretty impressive considering the fact that I didn't receive the mineral mix that was supposed to be included(didn't realized until a few months later when I actually decided to start the mix). To compensate for that loss I decided to use their craft blend that I already had as an amendment. I'm sure that Jeremey over at build a soil has since improved the mix making it even better than before.
Hi Woven
I'm 77 and have been smoking since 68/69. it's very gratifying to see young people getting into growing. Growing has changed me for the better. Keep it up!!

Ancient Old Far

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My professional recommendation to keep it as easy and fun and masterful as humanly possible:

The leaf in my profile photo was grown with this technique. There are many ways to apply this technique but once you get the idea of it your mind ought to light up and run wild with it.

Hi Xet
Thanks for the heads up. I was already thinking of brewing teas but with a 5 gal. I thought that is a professional set-up.

Reactions: xet

xet

Hi Xet
Thanks for the heads up. I was already thinking of brewing teas but with a 5 gal. I thought that is a professional set-up.
Brewing teas is so fun and easy. You can keep it simple or really jive up the mix. Let your nose tell you when to pour and enjoy your strong smoke. I have used 5 gallon buckets, those clear 5 gallon water jugs, 30 gallon buckets. I lob all my ingredients directly in the bucket like a loose leaf tea. I will throw in grass, leaves, manures, food powders, old bread, banana peels, whatever is organic really and has nutrients for me to give to my plants. I use 2 of those big aquarium air stones at Wal-Mart that are about $7 a piece and it treats me well even in the 30gallon. It probably hits peak ripeness in 24-36 hours in the 30 gallon and peak ripeness in the 5 gallon in 6-18 hours depending on how much stuff I gave the microbes to chew on. Gotta watch the smaller jugs so you don't end up with a giant pile of foam everywhere. Have fun

Oh yeah and I go back and forth on (food-source/water) mixture 1/3 (eating like a king), 1/5 (really fit), 1/6 (lightest feed)
😁

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Gotta watch the smaller jugs so you don't end up with a giant pile of foam everywhere. Have fun
Great advice! 10 years too late for me sadly i found out on my own when i tried to do 2 liters for a test and I managed to fuck up both the table it was on and the flooring, just in hours till I cameback to check on it for first time. It made like 5 liters of foam, which left an incredible mess when it "bubbled out".

• Haha
Reactions: xet

xet

Great advice! 10 years too late for me sadly i found out on my own when i tried to do 2 liters for a test and I managed to fuck up both the table it was on and the flooring, just in hours till I cameback to check on it for first time. It made like 5 liters of foam, which left an incredible mess when it "bubbled out".
Oh no ha ha, typical of success to spill everywhere when you find it

St. Phatty

Is it better to mix it all at once, or to mix it over a period of days or weeks ?

I think sometimes it's better to mix it over a period of time, because that way you remember things that you forgot.

My soil mix -
Native Soil
G&B potting soil
Chicken Manure, in powder form (highly available, very hot) - NP&K
Bone Meal - P, Phosphorus
Wood Ash - K, Potassium
Worm Castings, with old Cannabis buds as one of the main worm foods - P, Phosphorus

It's hard to mix it all it once. I use a concrete mixing tub.

I put in a layer of soil, than add some Supplements - then add some water.

I am bringing earthworms to the mix, when I add the worm castings, so I don't want it to be dry.

Then more soil, then more supplements.

Spend a LONG time mixing it & HOLD MY BREATH.

It's dusty as F-ck, even with the added water.

Holding back on mixing in store-bought Chicken Manure, so far.

Bio boy

Is it better to mix it all at once, or to mix it over a period of days or weeks ?

I think sometimes it's better to mix it over a period of time, because that way you remember things that you forgot.

My soil mix -
Native Soil
G&B potting soil
Chicken Manure, in powder form (highly available, very hot) - NP&K
Bone Meal - P, Phosphorus
Wood Ash - K, Potassium
Worm Castings, with old Cannabis buds as one of the main worm foods - P, Phosphorus

It's hard to mix it all it once. I use a concrete mixing tub.

I put in a layer of soil, than add some Supplements - then add some water.

I am bringing earthworms to the mix, when I add the worm castings, so I don't want it to be dry.

Then more soil, then more supplements.

Spend a LONG time mixing it & HOLD MY BREATH.

It's dusty as F-ck, even with the added water.

Holding back on mixing in store-bought Chicken Manure, so far.
if Ya mix it each round ya mix up salts from the base and disturb fungi ?

grower geart

Hello,

i would like to use
RECIPE #2 guano as an organic fertilizer.
My problem is i would neet a good source of pottasium and cant get greensand in this are.
I found that ashes also contain alot of pottasium, but the problem is this causes for big ph swings and its not slow realising.

What else can i use to balance my guano shit without potassium?

Nannymouse

There's a lot of powder in my bird's 'oyster shell' bag. The label says that it is oyster shell, coral, and clam shell. Can this powder, that is usually a waste, be used in these simple organic mixes?

Bio boy

There's a lot of powder in my bird's 'oyster shell' bag. The label says that it is oyster shell, coral, and clam shell. Can this powder, that is usually a waste, be used in these simple organic mixes?
That’s pure limestone pure oyster flour of course it can lol I wouldn’t spend hours grinding my chickens oyster shells otherwise

Latest posts

Latest posts