What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Chevy!

It said in the box that the Pelleted Guano would fertilize the soil for 2 or 3 months if I remember correctly, so I guess it will be done by the end of the next cycle.

I tried to used the recipes in the OP as a guideline and adapted to the resources I had available. This is the mix I ended up doing (pretty much what I had in mind with a bit less guano as per your advice):

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 54L(14.4 US Gal) of the old soil +
18L(4.8 US Gal) Perlite +
10L(4.8 US Gal) Humus (I may add a couple bags more before I transplant, otherwise I have a bottle of humic/fulvic acids in the way)+
360mL (24 US tbsp) Dolomite lime

1L of old nutrient mix from last grow +
500mL Guano 7-4-5 +
1kg Guano Pellets 2-15-2 +
600mL Diatomaceous Earth +
1L Seaweed Powder 0.5-2-0 +
500mL Palm Tree Ash 0-1-30 +
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'll also add [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2kg Silicone-rich vulcanic basalt +[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 500g Guano 3.5-8.5-0.8 as soon as it gets here[/FONT]

I think this will work, but keep in mind that you don't have an awfuö lot of N in there and a hell of a lot of P. Your K should be fine.
I'd add some dried blood or if you can't get that something like biobizz fish mix or bio grow to add a little N for the growth phase. If it's only for flowering, what you have will do, mind though that there's a LOT of P in your mix from the 1kg of pelleted guano. But as I said it should be ok as it's slow release.

Best of luck and let's see it !!!
CC

I think this will work, but keep in mind that you don't have an awfuö lot of N in there and a hell of a lot of P. Your K should be fine.
I'd add some dried blood or if you can't get that something like biobizz fish mix or bio grow to add a little N for the growth phase. If it's only for flowering, what you have will do, mind though that there's a LOT of P in your mix from the 1kg of pelleted guano. But as I said it should be ok as it's slow release.

Best of luck and let's see it !!!
CC

Thanks for the tips!

I only have like 100ml left of BioGrow, I don't know if that'll be enough.

I was planning on adding those extra 500g of Guano 3.5-8.5-0.8 because it's advertised as growth guano, but it still has high P so I don't know... Should I maybe add more of that other Guano 7-4-5? I guess that one's actually more apropriate. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hmmm in the end there is no clear black and white, a wide variety of mixes will work and it's also depending on your strain and whether it needs light or heavy feeding to stay happy.
That being said, I would definitely add a bit more N, especially at the start. So just use up those 100ml of bio grow for now and you will not need it so much later in bloom. But I'd be reluctant to add more P...

CC

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Worm castings should be a very small amount of a mix. Check out several analysis out there on line.

Folks really don't understand how to use worm castings.

Castings are humus mainly, yes, there are lots of elements, but the real reason you want worm doo is the humus content, NOT the nutrient content.

If one looks at the analysis of worm castings, it has a very lop sided level of nutrition. Just look at any worm casting analysis.

A light mix with coco and MAX 4 or 5% worm already precharged with Ca and P.

Oxygen is the most important element for a root. Not much air in mud and worm holds way too much water.

https://youtu.be/9SE8RjyTq3A

For anyone wanting a commen sense approach.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A light mix with coco and MAX 4 or 5% worm already precharged with Ca and P.]

That's it?
No other amendments?

Perlite.

In this way you can run a much more aggressive K/Ca ratio since you you have Ca and a much more aggressive Ca/P ratio, etc.. Works great.

Check out #theslownickelway on ig. Some of the guys I work with.

Your mix density is a function of your ability to irrigate.

Don't make a light mix unless you are going to be able to water 5 times per day....

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Perlite.

In this way you can run a much more aggressive K/Ca ratio since you you have Ca and a much more aggressive Ca/P ratio, etc.. Works great.

Check out #theslownickelway on ig. Some of the guys I work with.

Your mix density is a function of your ability to irrigate.

Don't make a light mix unless you are going to be able to water 5 times per day....

So something like coots mix but with Coco instead of peat with one third of each would be too much ewc?

mexweed

Veteran
yeah if you're going bottled might as well use pbp with liquid karma and call it close enough

the water only plants I've been doing with biolive as a stand alone are looking good, the roots uprising plants I just transplanted and they're looking a little light on N so I'm thinking I might have to double the application rate, biolive errs on too much N and not enough K but it works if you don't pile it all on at once, the roots uprising bloom definitely has a more appealing NPK but unless this N issue is easily solved by adding more I would have to say biolive is the better stand alone

nuitari

Hello everyone. I want to use lc's soiless mix 1 and for supplement recipe 1. But I cant find kelp meal and liquid karma. So maybe u can help me to change these what I can get.
I have to think as local farmers since I cant get the products as labeled brands.

instead of kelp meal I m thinking to use powdered seaweed extract which contains;(u can advice me diffrent material for me to use as long as its not a brand.I probably can find raw materials like alfalfa etc what can I add instead of seaweed for the source of potassium)
Organic materials:%30
Potasyum Oksit(K2O):%12
Alginic acid:%1,5
Gibberallic Acid:1 Mg/Kg
Ph 9-11
EC 34,8 dS/M

instead of liquid karma thinking to use bottled humic fulvic acids ? Not decieded on this yet. Any help would be appreciated.(or wormcastings teaa with molasses for every watering or 2nd.)

And instead of canadian sphangum peat gonna use coco peat should I change anything for cocopeat ? ;
Edit: It seems I cant get pure bone meal. I can get meat bone meal mixed . I think it has lower amount of P compared pure bone meal. Should I add anything to supplement P ?

Last edited:

SamsonsRiddle

Hello everyone. I want to use lc's soiless mix 1 and for supplement recipe 1. But I cant find kelp meal and liquid karma. So maybe u can help me to change these what I can get.
I have to think as local farmers since I cant get the products as labeled brands.

instead of kelp meal I m thinking to use powdered seaweed extract which contains;(u can advice me diffrent material for me to use as long as its not a brand.I probably can find raw materials like alfalfa etc what can I add instead of seaweed for the source of potassium)
Organic materials:%30
Potasyum Oksit(K2O):%12
Alginic acid:%1,5
Gibberallic Acid:1 Mg/Kg
Ph 9-11
EC 34,8 dS/M

instead of liquid karma thinking to use bottled humic fulvic acids ? Not decieded on this yet. Any help would be appreciated.

And instead of canadian sphangum peat gonna use coco peat should I change anything for cocopeat ?

powdered seaweed extract is supposed to be diluted into water and given as a foliar or a drench and not a part of your in-medium nutrition. i would try looking a little harder for kelp meal because it is one of those ingredients most people won't go without. i like to bubble it for a few days (or just soak for a week disturbing it whenever i remember), dilute it, and add in some silicon, fulvic, yucca extract and apply as a foliar.

liquid karma isn't a must, but i think a lot of people prefer floralicious plus over it.

fulvics are usually best used as foliar, so if you don't want to use it for that reason i would suggest using humics. if you want bottle humics or fulvics i would check out bioag's line of products.

as far as peat or coco, i would suggest coco over peat. coco does dry out a little faster than peat so you would want to lighten up the aeration component (perlite, lava rocks, etc.) by a little bit. also, coco doesn't NEED lime because it has a pretty good ph.

nuitari

Thx for quick reply. I m looking for the materials in the recipe like for a week and there is no kelp meal around despite how much harder I try to find. So eventually there will be a need for replacing kelp meal for sure. For lime as much as I understand its not about ph buffering for us to use main reason to provide cal-mg. Actually I made organic grow before but used some bottled ferts from biobizz to supplement what plants need. This time I dont want to spend abnormal prices for the ferts like biobizz cause they are way overpriced where I live.

40degsouth

Hey everyone,
Nuitari, some other unlikely spots to look for kelp meal could be a health food shop because people eat it and a saddlery, as it is used to put in horses feed.
It’s also been found to reduce methane emissions in cattle (burps not farts).
Hope this helps,
Cheers,

SamsonsRiddle

Thx for quick reply. I m looking for the materials in the recipe like for a week and there is no kelp meal around despite how much harder I try to find. So eventually there will be a need for replacing kelp meal for sure. For lime as much as I understand its not about ph buffering for us to use main reason to provide cal-mg. Actually I made organic grow before but used some bottled ferts from biobizz to supplement what plants need. This time I dont want to spend abnormal prices for the ferts like biobizz cause they are way overpriced where I live.
try researching dry molasses (local horse feed store?) or wood/plant ash. both are recommended by other members on here with a good reputation, but both products require a little studying to find out how to use (or make) properly.

nuitari

Finally a material I can find easily maybe addin some of compfrey to support micro elements. Thx for answer man. I m gonna check how to use wood ash.