What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

kritios

Whoop meant to show my results w this recipe. Week 6 of flower of an 8 week feminized white widow. I put it on the little sawhorse-y stand so I can peek in the tent windows to see how they're doin.

[k2]

I had so much that I had to throw a bunch of it away. That's because I never show, sell or tell. I turned my friends on and they all begged to know where I got it or if they could buy some. My answer was always NO.

Burn1

you threw him out instead of giving it to a friend. not good with you

G

Hi BurnOne and everyone else here. I hope I'm not too late to ask this here or missed it in between all other posts.. I would like to try your recipe #4 three little birds-method. My question is, what do you use to water them with..straight water all the way or do you give fertilizers with it.
And...do you know a good substitute for the greensand? I cant get that in oz though.

Kind regards, Ivan

Von-forne

Hi BurnOne and everyone else here. I hope I'm not too late to ask this here or missed it in between all other posts.. I would like to try your recipe #4 three little birds-method. My question is, what do you use to water them with..straight water all the way or do you give fertilizers with it.
And...do you know a good substitute for the greensand? I cant get that in oz though.

Kind regards, Ivan

Basalt and just water

Hi all!

I'm preparing 90L (24 US Gal) of soil for my next run and I'd love some feedback:

I have the soil from last run, which was some light organic commercial sphagnum-based base soil, plus some humus, perlite, and long-gone amendments.

The perlite has crushed down to almost a powder. My plan is to make a base soil by using:

54L(14.4 US Gal) of the old soil +
18L(4.8 US Gal) Perlite +
18L(4.8 US Gal) Humus +
360mL (24 US tbsp) Dolomite lime

, trying to approximate LC mix #2.

Then I plan on adding these amendments, loosely based in Recipe #2 and getting the Diatomaceous earth dosages from Recipe #4:

1L of old nutrient mix I made (it had the entire world mixed in, so it won't be too high of any one single element) +
500g Guano 3.5-8.5-0.8 +
250mL Guano 7-4-5 +
1kg Guano 2-15-2 +
1kg Guano Pellets 2-15-2 +
600mL Diatomaceous Earth +
1L Seaweed Powder 0.5-2-0 +
2kg Silicone-rich vulcanic basalt +
500mL Palm Tree Ash 0-1-30 +

The total volume of the amendmets would be 8L, so about 10% of the final volume.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi all!

I'm preparing 90L (24 US Gal) of soil for my next run and I'd love some feedback:

I have the soil from last run, which was some light organic commercial sphagnum-based base soil, plus some humus, perlite, and long-gone amendments.

The perlite has crushed down to almost a powder. My plan is to make a base soil by using:

54L(14.4 US Gal) of the old soil +
18L(4.8 US Gal) Humus +

, trying to approximate LC mix #2.

Then I plan on adding these amendments, loosely based in Recipe #2 and getting the Diatomaceous earth dosages from Recipe #4:

1L of old nutrient mix I made (it had the entire world mixed in, so it won't be too high of any one single element) +
500g Guano 3.5-8.5-0.8 +
250mL Guano 7-4-5 +
1kg Guano 2-15-2 +
2kg Silicone-rich vulcanic basalt +

The total volume of the amendmets would be 8L, so about 10% of the final volume.

Hi there,
Just from eyballing it, all that guano, especially the 2kg of 2-15-2 (Is that seabird guano or bat) will give you way more P than ever needed I reckon. Not the end of the world, but I think unless you growing trees, they plants will never use up this much.

Good luck with your mélange!!!
CC

Last edited:

Joint Lock

50% Peat/coco
25% EWC
25% perlite

Per gal - VEG
1 Tspooon alfalfa meal
1 Table spoon Bone meal
1 T spoon Blood meal
1 T spoon Kelp meal
1 Table spoon Dr earth Homegrown 4-6-3 or Espoma Tomato tone 3-4-5 (Both are loaded with mycos and ectos and other bacterias)
1 gram epson salts
1 Table spoon Bat/Seabird guano (high phos)

50% Peat/coco
25% EWC
25% perlite

Per gal - FLOWER
1 T spoon alalafa meal or pellets
2 Table spoon Bone meal
1 T spoon Blood meal
1 T spoon Kelp meal
1 Table spoon Dr earth Homegrown 4-6-3 or Espoma Tomato tone 3-4-5 (Both are loaded with mycos and ectos and other bacterias)
1 gram epson salts
2 Table spoon Bat/Seabird guano (high phos)

These soils should be transplanted into with healthy rooted clones/cuts/plants . DO NOT PUT SEEDLINGS OR FRESH ROOTED CUTS INTO THESE MIXES . The flower mix i transplant into wait 7-10 days then flip the lights

Last edited:
Hi there,
Just from eyballing it, all that guano, especially the 2kg of 2-15-2 (Is that seabird guano or bat) will give you way more P than ever needed I reckon. Not the end of the world, but I think unless you growing trees, they plants will never use up this much.

Good luck with your mélange!!!
CC

Thanks for the comment! Yeah I wasn't too sure about that either, but I though half of it being pelleted it should take a while to become available. It's bat guano. What do you think, should I just leave the pelleted there and keep the powdered to top-dress as needed?

you're consistently trying to do too much. make the blood-bone-kelp and be done.

Hi noknees!

Thanks for the comment!, the 'consistently' in your comment makes me think you're giving me the kind of high-level advice I love the most.

Are you referring to my last grow diary or were you just referring to my over-complicated recipe?

I'm quite constrained in my ability to source materials. I haven't yet been able to source blood, bone, or kelp meal, for example.

I'd love to keep it simple and not have to complicate the soil building so much, but I have a hard time finding the right materials and have to work with what I have. I know my recipe is sub-optimal, that's why I asked for advice.

Sunshineinabag

Nothing wrong with being diligent.....it's just that these chemovars don't necc require such high degrees of care.
If it works for ya then rock.on. just seems like money spent that could be used on cribbage matches ....dollar a point! Lmapp

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the comment! Yeah I wasn't too sure about that either, but I though half of it being pelleted it should take a while to become available. It's bat guano. What do you think, should I just leave the pelleted there and keep the powdered to top-dress as needed?

Yes that would be an option, but I don't know exactly what pelleted kind you're using and it could take beyond a plant's regular lifecycle to fully break down and become available...
I have had very good results with LC's mix and nutrient recipe (the one with bone meal, kelp, dried blood...) and then only water until harvest.
If you can I'd switch to that, do it as it is bulletproof. Later in bloom you could topdress some of that powdered guano if the plants look hungry.
If you can't switch, then use one of LC's recipes as a guideline and re calculate amounts (parts) of what you have available.

All the best,

CC

Yes that would be an option, but I don't know exactly what pelleted kind you're using and it could take beyond a plant's regular lifecycle to fully break down and become available...
I have had very good results with LC's mix and nutrient recipe (the one with bone meal, kelp, dried blood...) and then only water until harvest.
If you can I'd switch to that, do it as it is bulletproof. Later in bloom you could topdress some of that powdered guano if the plants look hungry.
If you can't switch, then use one of LC's recipes as a guideline and re calculate amounts (parts) of what you have available.

All the best,

CC

Thanks Chevy!

It said in the box that the Pelleted Guano would fertilize the soil for 2 or 3 months if I remember correctly, so I guess it will be done by the end of the next cycle.

I tried to used the recipes in the OP as a guideline and adapted to the resources I had available. This is the mix I ended up doing (pretty much what I had in mind with a bit less guano as per your advice):

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 54L(14.4 US Gal) of the old soil +
10L(4.8 US Gal) Humus (I may add a couple bags more before I transplant, otherwise I have a bottle of humic/fulvic acids in the way)+

1L of old nutrient mix from last grow +
500mL Guano 7-4-5 +
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'll also add [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2kg Silicone-rich vulcanic basalt +[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 500g Guano 3.5-8.5-0.8 as soon as it gets here[/FONT]

mexweed

Veteran
I have two clones that I took during flower that never ended up vegging properly, so for shits I'm going to try running them with a single soil amendment, I mixed some in when I transplanted and the plan is to mix some into the top layer of soil going into week 3 and 5, totaling 3 tbsp per gallon of soil, I'm using nectar #4 soil and mixing in biolive from down to earth