What's new

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

T

trem0lo

Hi guys, I have some week-old plants that have roots coming out of the bottoms and they are starting to wilt. I started them in very small containers--probably not the best idea. Today the soil was dry and I gave them a good water, but I just realized they may have been overwatered in the first place.

1. Is it too early to transplant this young? If so, should I and what's the safest method?
2. Should I transplant to a mix with bone/blood meal or is that too hot?

i should add that I'm currently using LC's mix for soil, but without the bone/blood/kelp meal. Can I just mix some more up and transplant into that?

M

michael68

Hey can I do this and will it work good?

5 parts peat moss
3 parts compost
2 parts perlite

Got it from what seemed to be a pretty good grower on a YouTube grower and says he used it with great success.

He actually said 1 part vermiculite and 1 part perlite but can I just use 2 parts perlite?

grapeman

Veteran

5 parts peat moss
3 parts compost
2 parts perlite

Got it from what seemed to be a pretty good grower on a YouTube grower and says he used it with great success.

He actually said 1 part vermiculite and 1 part perlite but can I just use 2 parts perlite?

add @ 20% EWC and 1 cup of powdered dolomite lime per cubic yard

M

michael68

add @ 20% EWC and 1 cup of powdered dolomite lime per cubic yard
so add 20% castings on top of what i already have?

that would be like 3 parts castings and 15% perlite.

not too heavy right?

would the other work fine too?

will be growing autoflowers in pots btw, but i don't want something too fast draining.

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi guys, I have some week-old plants that have roots coming out of the bottoms and they are starting to wilt. I started them in very small containers--probably not the best idea. Today the soil was dry and I gave them a good water, but I just realized they may have been overwatered in the first place.

1. Is it too early to transplant this young? If so, should I and what's the safest method?
2. Should I transplant to a mix with bone/blood meal or is that too hot?

i should add that I'm currently using LC's mix for soil, but without the bone/blood/kelp meal. Can I just mix some more up and transplant into that?

You'll kill 'em. Transplant into a bigger pot of plain LC's Mix or just keep them watered until they are strong enough to be fed.

5 parts peat moss
3 parts compost
2 parts perlite

Why is it so hard to just follow the instructions??? :snap out of it:

Burn1

grapeman

Veteran
so add 20% castings on top of what i already have?

that would be like 3 parts castings and 15% perlite.

not too heavy right?

would the other work fine too?

will be growing autoflowers in pots btw, but i don't want something too fast draining.

Didn't see castings in your original post. I do however suggest you follow Burn1's advice. I still do.

M

michael68

You'll kill 'em. Transplant into a bigger pot of plain LC's Mix or just keep them watered until they are strong enough to be fed.

Why is it so hard to just follow the instructions??? :snap out of it:

Burn1

It's the same mix except 20% perlite instead of 30% with 1 more part of compost replacing the 10% perlite.

I live in the high desert where the air is dry and hot, I know aeration is important but isn't 30% perlite a lot? It seems like I'd have to be watering and feeding multiple times a day.

I'm not trying to be stubborn (sorry), just trying to get a different outlook.

Do you guys think 20% perlite will work alright? ^

grapeman

Veteran
It's the same mix except 20% perlite instead of 30% with 1 more part of compost replacing the 10% perlite.

I live in the high desert where the air is dry and hot, I know aeration is important but isn't 30% perlite a lot? It seems like I'd have to be watering and feeding multiple times a day.

???
I live in the low desert where it is hotter and drier then the high desert

I use the recipe on the first page. After multiple grows I add a bit of this and a bit of that but I always start with the basic recipe.

Like the man said, just follow directions.

S

schwagg

next round keep adding that compost too! i've ditched perlite for rice hulls, pumice, and calcined DE. more shit but the texture of the soil seems to get better and better.

M

michael68

Alright thanks guys.

Can I feed compost teas though?

I'll start with the recipe but I'm thinking about not using the fert amendments so I can control the feeding more.

I'll be growing autoflowers so I'm thinking after a few weeks when they've used up most of the nutes in the compost and start getting ready to flower I'll lightly start out feeding compost teas/organic bottled nutes.

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Alright thanks guys.

Can I feed compost teas though?

I'll start with the recipe but I'm thinking about not using the fert amendments so I can control the feeding more.

I'll be growing autoflowers so I'm thinking after a few weeks when they've used up most of the nutes in the compost and start getting ready to flower I'll lightly start out feeding compost teas/organic bottled nutes.

You will be much better off starting with an easy strain and a proven recipe until you get the hang of it. This aint rocket surgery. The learning curve is quick but the time it takes to do a complete grow takes months.
I would suggest you get an Indica dominant strain and go with either the blood/bone/kelp recipe or the fish.
Get a few grows under your belt and you will be set. If you have a lot of problems early on it can frustrate a new grower.
I'm very passionate about growing your own. I want to do my part to fight the "War On Drugs" by reducing the amount of skank weed coming over the border. :tiphat:
Burn1

Ave

If I go with Soilless mix #2 and recipe #1, will I need to use any teas for watering or will I be set for the entire grow with only using water?

I

IE2KS_KUSH

^^just try it first time with water...add teas if you need to. Its a baseline.

Ave

Thanks IE2KS_Kush. Apparently I skipped over the part where it says "finish with water only".

One final question, for mix #1, can a pure coco coir be used and if so, how often should one water a plant in a 1gallon pot?

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One final question, for mix #1, can a pure coco coir be used and if so, how often should one water a plant in a 1gallon pot?

Looks like you missed this too...
LC’s Soiless Mix #1:

5 parts Canadian Sphagnum Peat or Coir or Pro-Moss

Water as needed. This will change throughout the growing cycle.
All your questions can't be answered. You'll have to do your part. Now get growing.
Burn1

pop pop

First of all, thanks to BurnOne and the many other expert posters on this thread who patiently help us newbies. Two weeks ago I had no familiarity with growing anything but now I've read up a bit and have learned enough to be dangerous.

I first came to this site via a link to the "msm mix" sticky. Growing organically is the best choice for me and I'm excited to learn about it and attempt my first-ever grow. I plan to germ an indica auto dwarf strain that's therapeutic for my medical condition. My grow box is 21" H x 8" W x 19" L and fits three 93FLoz containers.

From what I've learned here so far, a key part of organic growing is to first create a healthy living soil and then to mostly let it be. So my first questions are related to the soil mix.

The msm sticky has 3 posts (#1, #5, and #187) of the mix and each has a different amount of perlite. I don't need anywhere near that much mix so I intend to cut it by 75% --- but what's the correct ratio for the perlite?

Here's the mix from post #187 that msm says turned out the best:
1 bag of Foxfarm Ocean Forest potting soil
1 bag of Foxfarm Batguano/earthwormcastings planting mix
1 bag of Light Warrior High Yeild ultra premium blend
Chunky Perilite (is it 8-10 qts or 2-5 gallon buckets or 5-6 gallons?)
1 cup POM starter 3 4 3
1 cup POM Fruit and Flower 5 8 4

* Based on a 75% reduction, 1/4 from each bag + 1/4 cup of each POM should be a balanced mix, right? But how much perlite would go with this? I'll be using a coffee can or cooking pot to measure out parts so if you can answer in # of parts that would be great.

* in post #187 (sticky page 13) msm says this is a 'seedling all the way through flower' mix, but again, I've seen conflicting information. For the sprout-seedling stage, should I just use only LW since they won't need any ferts anyway and avoid any potential nute burn, or should I really do a 'seedling to flower' one-mix grow that includes both POMs for all growth stages?

*what's the proper method/place etc. to store the unused portion of the healthy living soil so as to keep it that way? Can I store it in rubbermaid tub with a lid in my outside garage?

Thanks for reading my very first post! And BurnOne, your efforts are not in vain. I promise to thoroughly mix in a couple tsp of powdered dolomite lime in the mix.

Scrappy4

Veteran
Hey Pop pop, glad to see your doing the living soil thing. I'm sure you will do fine and it sounds like your doing your homework.

Perlite should make up about 20-30% of your mix total. But you don't have to use perlite, as there are plenty of alternatives. Like pumice, lava rock, napa floor dry. Whatever you use, you want a light airy soil that drains well. How you get there is up to you.

Once you mix up your soil let it sit for a month if possible. That time will allow your soil's microbes to beginn cycling nutrients. Even though the microbes have eatin the nutrients they are still available to the plants, and are in a form that will be easily taken up by the plants.

I think the key to a living soil is the humus. As in ewc and or thermo compost. You will want a twenty percent mix of high quality humus. High quality is why so many of us make our own rather than rely on bags setting in hydro stores for months.

Storage for unused soil is OK in a tote. Just keep it damp and turn it over on occasion, and it will be fine. Air holes would not be a bad thing either. If you get white molds growing on it just turn it over, no biggy. I like to wake up the microbes with a compost tea a week or so before using an older soil mix. Probably not necessary but it makes me feel like I'm doing something. hope this helps and good luck....scrappy

Latest posts

Latest posts