What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
i'd check your local craigslist's farm & garden section or even make a "wanted: EWC" post there.

otherwise get out the phone book and start calling every garden center and hydro store in the area.

be warned that big brand EWC is often loaded with fillers and not very quality. generally the more local and small scale, the better.

if none of that pans out get the highest quality compost you can find.

Hey guys i was hoping somebody could help..
i baked a batch of lcs with ffof and guanos recipe to a T for 3 weeks and transp. my beautiful healthys in and now after 3 day they are all 12 almost completley dryed leaves drooping terribly looking almost completley dead,:comfort:
today 3 days later i tryed to flush sum water throughand measure runoff and all were at 6.6 runoff so i am stumped and utterly dissapointed on all this time and money feeling like i wasted now... no pics at this time but if any body has the foggiest idea of what may have went wrong please feel free to chime in... i will try to get pics tomorrow they are just very wilted and i am stumped and bummed..... i got others on blumats with same ingredients on top dress feed under drippers in plain ffof and they look fabulous...

Scrappy4

Veteran
As I understand FFOF has nutrients in it, then you added more? Is that what you mean by baked a batch? And your plants are burning up? Can you see where I'm going here?

Also, how is the rest of the environment? Heat? Light? Scrappy

yes i am following the "lc's" mix recipe with bat and seabird guano and kelp and grrensand and ewc mix.. it says you can use ffof.... but im thinking too its too much..
all my other grows were in plain ffof w chem nutes and didnt need feeding for a few weeks most times why but does the recipe on the 1st page say ocean forest as well as sunshine mix and some other.... ?? i feel as i should have known better but i thought the guanos would not burn..:comfort:

and room temps have been a tad high in mid 80s in the warm weather and about 55% humidity,., not ideak i know but all the oither look fine in the same room... so is it the ffof??
damn you lc!! lol.... jk.....

:bump:
Anybody else follow the lcs mix with fox farm ocean forest soil and bongloids guano recipe and have it kill there plants in 3 days?? just wondering why its on the first page as a sworn recipe when people are telling me its too hot... anybodying have anything else they can add..??? helpp.....

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
I'm having trouble finding earthworm castings. Not sure where else to look other than the hydro shop which I'd rather not go to.

http://www.northernlakeswormcastings.com/wormcastingstore

Try here if you can't find any locally, that was a problem for me until this year. These folks have the best quality castings at the best prices that I've found online (if anyone knows differently please correct me). I bought 60 lbs for use just in teas (I use tea all over my yard) and it lasted me almost a year.

I just bought a 40 lb bag this spring at a local garden show so that might also be an option for you, although it's probably getting a little late in the season for garden shows . . .

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Unless you are talking the Maximum Yield show in San Francisco California this coming weekend. Best show on the planet. If somebody knows a better show, please correct me.

MrGAS

soil

soil

im just using scots potting soil ,nothing else to grow my one plant in.
3 inches tall and only 2 leafes,starting a couple new leafs.

noob newbie all the way.
been burnin one since the late 60's,

thought it was time to have my own....:wave:

I

IE2KS_KUSH

^^^
Go back and read the very first post on this page and follow the directions, you will be happy you did MrGAS.

Burnone,
I plan on using LC's soilless mix #2 (using FFOF) without adding the dry nutrients... I plan to use bottled nutes and still adjust my Ph.
Should i still wet the mix with a humic acid (Roots Organic Trinity) and let it sit for a week or two?
If nothing else to let the lime have time to do its thing?
If im adjusting my nutrient solution (i know how you feel about that, burnone) do i still need to add the lime? A good idea anyway?

I need to chime in and warn whoever as nobody wanted to respond on the previous page..

i followed the recipe on page #1 exactly with the ffof and guanos recipe and kept wet and mixed every 3 days for 3 weeks than transp. and burnt and killd all 12 that wentin the mix...
an expensive lesson learned not to mention endless camping just to finally recieve the strain and all burnt dead within 3 days of transplant..
many others in plain ffof and top fed under blumat drippers are fine and now using the hot mix as top feed for the others...

DO NOT FOLLOW THE FFOF AND GUANOS RECIPE IT IS TOO HOT.. and perhaps somebody does not have to face tradgedy as i have trying organics for first time..:comfort:

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Burnone,
I plan on using LC's soilless mix #2 (using FFOF) without adding the dry nutrients... I plan to use bottled nutes and still adjust my Ph.
Should i still wet the mix with a humic acid (Roots Organic Trinity) and let it sit for a week or two?
If nothing else to let the lime have time to do its thing?
If im adjusting my nutrient solution (i know how you feel about that, burnone) do i still need to add the lime? A good idea anyway?

Why can't you just follow the directions? :wallbash:
Burn1

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I need to chime in and warn whoever as nobody wanted to respond on the previous page..

i followed the recipe on page #1 exactly with the ffof and guanos recipe and kept wet and mixed every 3 days for 3 weeks than transp. and burnt and killd all 12 that wentin the mix...
an expensive lesson learned not to mention endless camping just to finally recieve the strain and all burnt dead within 3 days of transplant..
many others in plain ffof and top fed under blumat drippers are fine and now using the hot mix as top feed for the others...

DO NOT FOLLOW THE FFOF AND GUANOS RECIPE IT IS TOO HOT.. and perhaps somebody does not have to face tradgedy as i have trying organics for first time..:comfort:

This is how you learn what your plants need. This thread is simply a baseline to get you started. You should learn from this that your mix is too hot. Back off on the nutes or let your seedlings mature an extra week or two before you transplant.
Don't think you can just go by the recipe and have absolutely no problems. Lots of mistakes can be made. FFOF can come in hotter in some batches. Live and learn. But NEVER give up.
Burn1

I dont follow directions because im taking your advice and using your recommendations as a baseline!
I am not nearly as experienced as you are but im trying to personalize my grow to maximize efficiency and results. I love advice and a confident point in the right direction but i prefer to blaze my own trail....
Not to mention the fact that you cant argue with results.... see the thread.... (My organic collection of nuggetry=multi strain grow= )... Stagger Leev is my brother so his advice has more weight than anyone elses.
But i do value your opinion, burnone!
With that in mind... if i made those changes would you still recommend wetting the mix and letting it sit?
Thanks for your time.

Latest posts

Latest posts