What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

mad librettist

Veteran
make a strong slurry of worm castings.

you can put 1 tsp per gallon molasses, and your favorite fish hydrolysate in there.

Water with it and top dress the dregs. Put as much worm castings as you can.

Keep that top layer moist, use a mulch or even spray if you have to.

If you still have problems in a week, then feed.

EWC slurry is like hitting reset in windows 95.

Scrappy4

Veteran
A top dressing of guano would do the trick, but maybe a more well rounded dressing of a dry fert like a espoma tone or rainbow mix would be better closer to flowering. But why so long in veg without transplanting up? Scrappy

mad librettist

Veteran
I never understood that reasoning.

according to actual experience, plants grow bigger faster when they have room.

roots don't need to "catch up" - new root hairs have to be produced constantly, and the older roots get thick and don't absorb nutes or water anymore.

the reason for up-potting is to avoid having wet feet, but if you establish a living mulch, use a wick, or are just very good about watering it isn't an issue.

Scrappy4

Veteran
I don't believe I've read much on it, but plants have momentum, and for some reason you stall the momentum, it 's tough to get it back......scrappy

C

CC_2U

Dr. Clive Edwards at Ohio State University has been studying vermicomposting for almost 40 years.

From one of his writings on using worm castings as a top dressing (which he strongly recommends) in a container plant, 1" = 10% and 2" = 20% with 20% being the point where additional benefit drops off. No harm done by adding more but since this often a amendment difficult to source (at least the good castings), his numbers make sense to me.

YMMV

CC

Just wanted to drop my thanks for all the great information in this thread and the organic soil forum, had alot of sub par grows / product until I got some experience and started using the recipes in this thread. Now I go by small samples from the local dispensaries to see if it even compares with my oh so tasty nugs :)

Scrappy4

Veteran
Just wanted to drop my thanks for all the great information in this thread and the organic soil forum, had alot of sub par grows / product until I got some experience and started using the recipes in this thread. Now I go by small samples from the local dispensaries to see if it even compares with my oh so tasty nugs :)

Very cool, I think we all have had those grows bro, that's how we learn.....scrappy

Mr Jay

Veteran
Oh boy do I have a problem. I found out our local water supply is treated with chloramine and so spent the past two weeks lecturing the lady of the house on how to NEVER water any of our organic container plants from the hose. Well, guess who just filled the six self watering containers out back from the hose? :wallbash: I immediately emptied the containers reservoir, flushed them with dechlorinated water, and set a new batch of ewc tea to bubble in the hopes of installing a new micro herd. Am I screwed or will my veggies herd be reinstated?

mad librettist

Veteran
don´t stress, and be nice to the wife while you still have one.

as long as you are not slamming the soil with repeated chloramine attacks it's fine.

Mr Jay

Veteran
Don't worry, I was more like a toddler throwing a fit than a screaming baboon. This time I had the rare pleasure of of actually being right so I tried not to rub it in. Thanks for the advice mad.

dhack

I am getting ready to make some RECIPE #3. Do you have to put the dry mix in a stocking when making it or can you just dump the dry mix in and bubble it for 24hrs?

S

stonedaze

This is a great thread. I'm still way back at page 130 but thought I'd let people know I just found a 40lb bag of powdered dolomite lime at Ace Hardware for $9.00. It's called Soil Sweet. Says "fine grade" and "fast flowing granules" but it's a powder.

S

Scrappy-doo

I'm looking to make Mix #2 but I'm having trouble finding earthworm castings. I went to Agway, Lowes, and Home Depot and none of them even knew what it was. Is there something good to substitute with?

If not then should most nurseries carry it? Not sure where else to look other than the hydro shop which I'd rather not go to.

Latest posts

Latest posts