What's new

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

T

The Strain Man

hey thanks jay yeah that was it soil just needed air I've always just let it sit in a rubber made tub indoors but my tubs were full so I put it in bags sealed outdoor cuz I know we got gnats and whiteflys here :nono: these are the castings I'm talking about http://www.garden-ville.com/4429899_36600.htm
they dont smell like a forest floor they have a rich poo smell I use the same castings you do the wormgold as well they do smell like a forest floor. blessings

Stoned Crow

Cool, and this will be good for Autos...? a smidge= ?

Its depends how delicate your autos are. I've had friends who've grown autos and they were damn near bullet proof.

If all you're using for a growing medium is pro-mix and perlite, then I'd be most worried about N-P-K deficiencies.

The tea Burn1 recommends (if I understand your question) is for plants that are in amended soil. Does your Pro-Mix have food in it?...SC

uptosumpn

Veteran
Well the autos i'm growing right now is AK & a hybrid cross of Sour60 x Purple jems and they both have hearts of lions!!! the funny thing is I have NO burn or any def. EXCEPT leaf twisting on the lower leaves..the soil has no nutes in it...I use liquid nutes/supp..ie; FF GrowBig, FF BigBloom, AN Conno a&b, FF Open Seame, Beastie Bloomz & Cha-Ching, Cal-Mag, B-52, GreenFuse Root Stimulator, BS Molasses....{I also have some AN Voodoo Juice, Phirana & Tarantula, but haven't used any this grow.... I just need to know what to use to buffer my ph in this soil before it give me it's ass to kiss!! Currently on wk 5 today for half of them...the others are younger...
I was told to bubble some EWC, BS Molasses & quality compost, <(like FFOF/FFLW) for 12-24hrs..?:thank you:
Its depends how delicate your autos are. I've had friends who've grown autos and they were damn near bullet proof.

If all you're using for a growing medium is pro-mix and perlite, then I'd be most worried about N-P-K deficiencies.

The tea Burn1 recommends (if I understand your question) is for plants that are in amended soil. Does your Pro-Mix have food in it?...SC

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
they dont smell like a forest floor they have a rich poo smell I use the same castings you do the wormgold as well they do smell like a forest floor. blessings

thats usually ( not always) a sign that the compost is basically just composted manure. and imo those composts lack in diversity. i would try and find a better source if you can. or make your own, its easy, reduces your waste at home, and gives you free castings of the highest quality.

T

The Strain Man

I've always wanted a worm bin but always been worried I'd mess up and kill them all it gets real hot here .you still would use wormgold right?

SuperSizeMe

A foot without a sock...
Veteran
thats usually ( not always) a sign that the compost is basically just composted manure. and imo those composts lack in diversity. i would try and find a better source if you can. or make your own, its easy, reduces your waste at home, and gives you free castings of the highest quality.

On that note, JK, have you (or anyone else) ever purchased EWC in bulk from eBay?

I have a local source, but I came across a bulk vendor (30lb. bags) who's shipping prices aren't murderous.

Any thoughts?

TIA

SSM :joint:

V

vonforne

On that note, JK, have you (or anyone else) ever purchased EWC in bulk from eBay?

I have a local source, but I came across a bulk vendor (30lb. bags) who's shipping prices aren't murderous.

Any thoughts?

TIA

SSM :joint:

If they are packaged in plastic bags good chances they are not very biologically active. Most of the micro organisms will be dormant or dead.

Check with this company for some great products.
http://www.simplici-tea.com/index.html

V

vonforne

hey vonforne, do you still use ffof as a base mix?

No. Not any more. I used it once and then recycled it so it was not really FF when I got done with it. It is just about like my soil now. Peat based to start with and then just add different things as I cycle it.....compost, EWC, rock powders.

V

aeviaanah

No. Not any more. I used it once and then recycled it so it was not really FF when I got done with it. It is just about like my soil now. Peat based to start with and then just add different things as I cycle it.....compost, EWC, rock powders.

V
Right on, did you like it? What are peat base advantages/disadvantages?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
:fsu:

Wow! I've been using that for years... I wonder whats wrong with it?

:dunno:
Mr Celsius

Here's the data given to the WSDA when Lily Miller registered their product. Note that it contains a wide variety of so-called heavy metals.

Here is the data for a fish hydrolysate product from Eco Nutrients out of California. The specific product is their Eco Hydro Fish 4-2-2

From EarthFort (the lab/marketing of Dr. Elaine Ingham's Soil Foodweb organization) is this quote:
Fish hydrolysate is cold processed (minced, enzymatically digested and liquefied) to preserve proteins for quick turnover by microbes into nutrients for plants. This process distinguishes fish hydrolysate from fish emulsion which is processed with heat; removing oils (fungal foods) and denaturing nutrients and beneficial bacteria. Hydrolysate retains the natural oils from the fish that are a very potent fungal food.
That's what I've been able to find out at any rate.

CC

its not omri listed because its not sustainable. it means they actively fish for there product. i asked my local independent flower shop who carries dr earths ,its not omri either for the same reason, they use unsustainable fish products.

could you guys help me out? i just wanted to know if you have to cook soil with guano in it or if you can just mix it in. i have some cooked soil going and it only has half the bone in it. im ready to up pot today and flower in a week so i need the P in there. its been a problem, my plants are crashing at week 4 with this mix. leaves start to yellow and fall off, hairs turn from white to red almost overnight. it just gets worse from there. all growth stops, its bad. i thinks its lack of P. its revs mix and it calls for 1T blood, 1T bone,1T kelp,1T all purpose 5-5-5 (i used 4-4-4). i want to add some Jamaican guano 1-10-.2 to the mix at 1T per gallon. think thats cool if im going to use it immediately?

grapeman

Veteran
its not omri listed because its not sustainable. it means they actively fish for there product. i asked my local independent flower shop who carries dr earths ,its not omri either for the same reason, they use unsustainable fish products.

could you guys help me out? i just wanted to know if you have to cook soil with guano in it or if you can just mix it in. i have some cooked soil going and it only has half the bone in it. im ready to up pot today and flower in a week so i need the P in there. its been a problem, my plants are crashing at week 4 with this mix. leaves start to yellow and fall off, hairs turn from white to red almost overnight. it just gets worse from there. all growth stops, its bad. i thinks its lack of P. its revs mix and it calls for 1T blood, 1T bone,1T kelp,1T all purpose 5-5-5 (i used 4-4-4). i want to add some Jamaican guano 1-10-.2 to the mix at 1T per gallon. think thats cool if im going to use it immediately?

The joke of OMRI is that NOTHING is sustainable. Humans have an insane ability to believe in this bullshit. At least greenies do. Not even "diamonds" are sustainable in our universe.

There are other considerations for growing organically. Our Health, our illogical love affair with fish, saving the planet or a misplaced belief in sustainability are not any of them.

Last edited: