What's new

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

V

vonforne

can i flower a plant until its showed sex then revert back to veg?

If you let the pant veg long enough it will show sex. Indicas........about 7 or 8 weeks. Sativas a little longer. Or you could take cuttings and flower then.#

V

dodo5678

nutrient profiles with organics?

nutrient profiles with organics?

thank you for this thread. i've been curious about organics for a while and have decided to start making the change by preparing my soil this weekend :jump:

i'm currently using h3ad's GH 6/9 formula and was curious if anyone could recommend one of the recipes in the first post that would be similar to 6/9? as of now i'm thinking of going with "LC’s Soiless Mix #1" & "RECIPE #1" for simplicity.

does anyone use the CannaStats nutrient calculator when creating organic nutrient profiles? Or is that simply for chemical fertilizers?

thanks,
-dodo :joint:

hashit

I use distilled(sometimes RO) water + cal-mag plus to supplement Cal/Mag while using FFOF soil, but I am thinking of switching over to LC's Soiless Mix #2.

I have well and the pH of the water is high (~7.9) and the PPM is well over 850. Should I continue using distilled water, 1/2 distilled 1/2 well, or does it even matter?

V

vonforne

I use distilled(sometimes RO) water + cal-mag plus to supplement Cal/Mag while using FFOF soil, but I am thinking of switching over to LC's Soiless Mix #2.

I have well and the pH of the water is high (~7.9) and the PPM is well over 850. Should I continue using distilled water, 1/2 distilled 1/2 well, or does it even matter?

No. You will be fine with the well water. But just to make yourself feel better.....to be on the safe side....mix them 50-50 first and see what happens.

V

grapeman

Veteran

How do the rest of your "weeds" do around the house with that well water? I bet they do just fine.

hashit

How do the rest of your "weeds" do around the house with that well water? I bet they do just fine.

You know what...that makes perfect sense...I was just being a bit on the cautious side since I'm trying to control the my grow environment to it's best possible conditions.

I live in an area where it's really sandy/clay about 1 foot under the top soil...but I have beautiful plants growing everywhere. Ton's of oak, pecan trees, 20+year fig and some peach trees. "Weed" wise, I have some yierba buena and other herbs that started to grow naturally after my grandma planted them a long time ago..but I now live on this property as she passed away a few years ago.

My grandpa used to have a garden where he planted all sorts of fruits/veggies, and they all did very well with well water.

I've just heard horrific stories about people fucking up thier indoor grows with high PPM well water...but this is my first time going into organic indoor and just trying to be cautious. I previously used FFOF soil and Grow Big/Tiger bloom. Hell, it'll save me tons of money in the long run.

Thanks for any advice and/or suggestions!

I have a question for the experts about hard water that has been softened with Culigen water softer salts.

I recently moved to a home only a few miles from a spot that I had grown successfully for a couple years. Both places have municipal water that is very good at about 350ppm. In my old spot the water was not softened and I would mix RO water to the tap water filtered by carbon to about 80-100ppm. Of course I always bubbled the rez. It worked very well for me.

So now I have moved and the water is softened in my new spot. Because of this I have been reluctant to use the water here without first filtering ALL of it through my RO unit. The problem for me is that I have never liked using straight RO water, I feel it is just to clean. Because of this I have been buying spring water and mixing it to my RO water in an attempt to add some minerals without adding the salt from the water softener. I have only been adding 10-20% spring water which usually puts my water at about 25-50ppm.

Am I wasting my time and money buying the spring water? Is using about 10-20% softened tap water going to put to many water softener salts in my soil like I have been concerned about? What is the best way to go about giving my girls the best I can? I already have an RO unit.

de145

3 quarts are not equal to a cubic foot

3 quarts are not equal to a cubic foot

What am I missing, the recipe seems to be blatantly wrong but I see it's gone uncorrected for 3 years so either a cubic foot is not what is meant or the measurements are all off.

It states for example:
"If you use a 3 qt. saucepan as “parts” in the amounts given above, it equals about 1 cu. ft. of soiless mix"

A cubic foot is actually 30 quarts not 3 quarts. Which is correct the original recipe and go by actual cubic feet or the comments below and we should go by a tenth of a cubic foot?

grapeman

Veteran
I have a question for the experts about hard water that has been softened with Culigen water softer salts.

I recently moved to a home only a few miles from a spot that I had grown successfully for a couple years. Both places have municipal water that is very good at about 350ppm. In my old spot the water was not softened and I would mix RO water to the tap water filtered by carbon to about 80-100ppm. Of course I always bubbled the rez. It worked very well for me.

So now I have moved and the water is softened in my new spot. Because of this I have been reluctant to use the water here without first filtering ALL of it through my RO unit. The problem for me is that I have never liked using straight RO water, I feel it is just to clean. Because of this I have been buying spring water and mixing it to my RO water in an attempt to add some minerals without adding the salt from the water softener. I have only been adding 10-20% spring water which usually puts my water at about 25-50ppm.

Am I wasting my time and money buying the spring water? Is using about 10-20% softened tap water going to put to many water softener salts in my soil like I have been concerned about? What is the best way to go about giving my girls the best I can? I already have an RO unit.

I have been using RO water in my soil grow (LC#2 with nute #1). Now I don't need to. The RO unit was installed for hydro which i don't do anymore. Every time I water I look at that freaking RO unit and say to myself "I need to take that down". But being basically a lazy bastard, I just haven't gotten to it. LOL

But my soil grows are just fine. superb actually. I'm still gonna take it down. Some day.

I'd use RO water if I was downstream of a salt water softener. I think if you mix your soil with all the goodies, RO will work for you without having to buy spring water. It does for me.

IMO.

grapeman

Veteran
What am I missing, the recipe seems to be blatantly wrong but I see it's gone uncorrected for 3 years so either a cubic foot is not what is meant or the measurements are all off.

It states for example:
"If you use a 3 qt. saucepan as “parts” in the amounts given above, it equals about 1 cu. ft. of soiless mix"

A cubic foot is actually 30 quarts not 3 quarts. Which is correct the original recipe and go by actual cubic feet or the comments below and we should go by a tenth of a cubic foot?

Yeah - I noticed that as well some time back. So I just did the math and figured all my soil portions and amendment portions into CF and worked from there. 3 Quarts = 0.1 CF. I'm sure that's what B1 meant, just got the decimal in the wrong place.

twrex

It states for example:

The total recipe works out to about 10 parts, so you use your 3 qt pan as a part and it works out swimmingly. :)

de145

So I'm guessing that using a soil less mix with organic amendments, that the beneficial microbes that actually do the work are introduced by the worm castings right?

Otherwise there would be no microbes to benefit from the blood meal and bone meal etc and do the work of generating the nutrients for the plants.

grapeman

Veteran
So I'm guessing that using a soil less mix with organic amendments, that the beneficial microbes that actually do the work are introduced by the worm castings right?

Otherwise there would be no microbes to benefit from the blood meal and bone meal etc and do the work of generating the nutrients for the plants.

Pretty much. Check out the "Tea Article" by CTGuy. Lots of folks here make their own earthworm casting tea weekly or so.

Done right, there are all your microbes.

K

KnightRueben

Hey guys,

just checking in to say that I started a grow using LC's Mix #1 and Fertilizer recipe #1. Last grow I used LC1 + fish ferts and finally pulled my first real harvest.

Looking forward to the ease of use of the amendments and hoping for better performance than the fish.

2 feminized DoubleX by CH9 on day 7 in plain LC1 mix. Dry Ferts + LC1 were mixed up the day they sprouted in a separate 5gal bucket. Stirring that bucket every other day and wetting it for now.

Thanks for the information, Burn1. Gathered every last item on your lists and hoping for a good run.

grapeman

Veteran
Hey guys,

just checking in to say that I started a grow using LC's Mix #1 and Fertilizer recipe #1. Last grow I used LC1 + fish ferts and finally pulled my first real harvest.

Looking forward to the ease of use of the amendments and hoping for better performance than the fish.

2 feminized DoubleX by CH9 on day 7 in plain LC1 mix. Dry Ferts + LC1 were mixed up the day they sprouted in a separate 5gal bucket. Stirring that bucket every other day and wetting it for now.

Thanks for the information, Burn1. Gathered every last item on your lists and hoping for a good run.

I like your little air pots. How they working for you?

K

KnightRueben

I like your little air pots. How they working for you?

heh let's just say I used to have overwatering issues, and since I switched to airpots I've never had a problem! they kick ass

you actually gotta water the shit out of them to ensure moisture penetration because water slips out the sides, especially on the little .3 gallon ones you see the seedlings in

here's my cab that they'll be flowering in, big ass armoire

cheers and many thanks to Burn1 - the simplicity of organics is what turned my growing around

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
Did you allow the soil to sit for a minimum of 2 weeks?

If you did you will be fine. Do not guess.

V
It did sit for a bit less than two weeks, 12 days. And right now it looks like the lock out is subsiding, plants are doing well and all new growth is healthy. Not as perky as they usually are, but well otherwise. Do you think 12 days made a difference? I'll admit I didn't think it would be too bad...