What's new

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

S

schwagg

CT, big swivels for fishing and two zip ties. you can spin it till everbody gets dizzy!

C

CT Guy

CT, big swivels for fishing and two zip ties. you can spin it till everbody gets dizzy!

That's a good idea....now I just need to find a place that can support it and gets enough sun. (and where it's easy to water and not too ugly).

I'm putting twelve peppers outside in five gal Smart Pots tomorrow. Its my first use of the Smart Pots although I have been interested in breathable containers for years before I knew of the Smart Pots. When I first started growing cannabis in '00 I used Terra Cotta containers for their breathability.
I am very interested in growing the potatoes in the 15-20gal Smart Pots as shown on their website.
Also strawberries can be planted in holes cut into the sides of the Smart Pots.

I am also trying out the ugly ass Topsy Turvy tomato planter for the first time this year.
I doubt it will hold enough soil to do nearly as well as a tomato grown on the ground in a larger Smart Pot. Still I want to have the most Gangsta Topsy Turvy tomato around.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
EatMoGrass

The deal growing strawberries in SmartPots also works well with kitchen/culinary herbs. You can have 10 or so types of herbs in the same pot. We have some on our deck each year.

Cooking with fresh herbs is one of the benefits of gardening from my perspective.

CC

CC, I've never grown herbs(other than cannabis) but its something I have thought of and really should do as I like cooking. I especially like cooking on the grill or smoker right next to my container veggie garden on my porch.
I will definitely miss my Fort Laramie strain of strawberries that I left in the ground at my last apt. No strawberries this year as I just don't have the room.

Hot peppers help me manage my chronic back/neck pain so they are second most important plant for me behind Cannabis.

C

CT Guy

EatMoGrass

The deal growing strawberries in SmartPots also works well with kitchen/culinary herbs. You can have 10 or so types of herbs in the same pot. We have some on our deck each year.

Cooking with fresh herbs is one of the benefits of gardening from my perspective.

CC

I'd love a pic of that so I can get an idea of what herbs you used and how you spaced it.

S

schwagg

cut slits in the pot where you want the plants right?

as for the topsy T, we whopped it's ass last year. you can be as gangsta as you want with it but when you got a giant towmater in a fat pot sittin on the ground, no comparison! they are cute though. but damn i love my roma's for salsa!

Last edited:

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I'd love a pic of that so I can get an idea of what herbs you used and how you spaced it.
CT Guy

The SmartPots' folks call it Pocket Planting and there are some photos that you can click on to see a larger image/graphic.

Basically it's the old standard Mexican strawberry pots but made from cloth. The Mexican pots are nice as well to use and fairly inexpensive. The usual ones are made from unglazed pottery so the soil can breath a bit.

CC

Spok

i have an important question about the LC's mix. Im using sphagnum peat, perlite, worm castings, dolomite lime, blood, bone, and kelp meal.

the sphagnum peat and perlite i bought is miracle grow brand enriched with nutrients...will this cause a problem?

-any help would be great, thanks

M

mrred

not the perlite idk about the peat, home improvement stores always have bales of peatmoss though, call around your local garden stores for the perlite, shouldnt cost no more than 20 bucks for 2 Cubic feet , peat is like 2.50-5 for 4 cubic feet compressed

V

vonforne

i have an important question about the LC's mix. Im using sphagnum peat, perlite, worm castings, dolomite lime, blood, bone, and kelp meal.

the sphagnum peat and perlite i bought is miracle grow brand enriched with nutrients...will this cause a problem?

-any help would be great, thanks

Find some regular peat and some perlite. Use the MG in the garden outside.

V

I found some kelp meal at my local feed store but I am not sure if I should use it. It's instructions are for animals but it does say can also be used as a soil amendment. Is this stuff kosher or should I go with Espoma brand?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I found some kelp meal at my local feed store but I am not sure if I should use it. It's instructions are for animals but it does say can also be used as a soil amendment. Is this stuff kosher or should I go with Espoma brand?
SecretGardener

They're all the same product from the same factory in Nova Scotia, i.e. Acadian Seaplants, Ltd. like Neptune's Harvest, Espoma, Dr. Earth, E. B. Stone, blah, blah, blah, blah as well as the products marketed to farm and feed stores. If you have horses of quality anywhere in your area you can find kelp meal.

Kelp meal has been used for 200 years at least for livestock, horses, swine and especially poultry and chickens in particular. Kelp meal increases the Omega-6 oils in eggs and are often marked as such on the carton as 'Omega Oil Enriched' etc. Health food stores also carry kelp products for humans and the benefits are well documented.

You'll be pleased with the health of your plants when you use kelp/seaweed products.

CC

V

vonforne

And while you are at the local feed store pick up some alfalfa, soybean meal and cottonseed meal. But most important....the alfalfa.

V

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
But most important....the alfalfa.

V
Vorforne

I'm going through a study out of China that covers 4 years of study comparing alfalfa vs. kelp meal to increase crop yields - obviously a big issue in a country with such a huge population.

So far from my reading, other than the triacontanol component in alfalfa, there are slight differences in the benefits that they provide.

I still believe that diversity is paramount so adding both are helpful but alfalfa alone will provide almost everything that kelp meal can with the added benefit of triacontanol.

Just a thought. I'll post a link once I get through the final 20+ pages. These science guys are really thorough - almost to a fault.

CC

V

vonforne

Hey CC, Thanks for that. I had read something similar but it has been some time ago. When you get done leafing trough the paper post up some refined results for us.

I like to folair feed alfalfa the most. I go by a theory that the triacontanol is most effective as a folair spray. And I also top off the first few centimeters of my soil with alfalfa wen I am recycling it.

Her is a good way to make your own meal. I picked up a 55 lb. bag at the local feed store for 11.00. I purchased a old blender at a garage sale for 5.00. and made tons of my own.

9609DSCN0114.JPG

9609Picture_085.jpg

9609Picture_085.jpg

9609Picture_087.jpg

enough alfalfa meal to last a lifetime. Use as a folair application or a soil additive.

V

Latest posts

Latest posts