What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic Fanatics - Australia

nksv

Anyone here use Humus Plus?

Humus20L.jpg

ClarkGrizz

Charlie carp, I'd be adding a flowering booster with it.. I stopped using it around ten year ago, it changed, I always look at it and wonder, used to be a great product, all I used.. Don't think Gogo is nasaa approved, I don't know why..

Boss Cocky

Hi all,

I just wanted to mention that I'm using LC's soilless mix made on coco, with the recipe #1 from the Organics for Beginners thread. It's working great for my ACE Panama and Tikal.

As many of you would know, trying to follow all these American recipes can be difficult with product availability in Oz.

In place of their seperate blood meal and bone meal, I used Botanica blood and bone. I figured it would probably work out to the same sort of ratio as called for in the recipe.
For kelp meal I used Eco Seaweed powder from Eco Organic Garden. I didn't worry about a replacement for the Jersey greensand as I figured the coco has plenty of K.

I also got some pure blood meal from Richgro in case there wasn't enough N in the blood and bone. I haven't needed to use it so far.

I hope this helps any Aussies trying to replicate this recipe.

Dion

Hi all,

I just wanted to mention that I'm using LC's soilless mix made on coco, with the recipe #1 from the Organics for Beginners thread. It's working great for my ACE Panama and Tikal.

As many of you would know, trying to follow all these American recipes can be difficult with product availability in Oz.

In place of their seperate blood meal and bone meal, I used Botanica blood and bone. I figured it would probably work out to the same sort of ratio as called for in the recipe.
For kelp meal I used Eco Seaweed powder from Eco Organic Garden. I didn't worry about a replacement for the Jersey greensand as I figured the coco has plenty of K.

I also got some pure blood meal from Richgro in case there wasn't enough N in the blood and bone. I haven't needed to use it so far.

I hope this helps any Aussies trying to replicate this recipe.

sure does cheers

Boss Cocky

sure does cheers

You're welcome. One other thing to bear in mind with this recipe is that it is fairly strong. I'm making up 100L batches and mixing nutrient into half while keeping the other half as the basic soilless suitable for seedlings/clones. Only my heaviest feeders will get the full strength mix, while the others will get the two mixes thrown together in ratios according to their sensitivity. I tell you what! It's a hell of a lot less time consuming than mixing up different strength solutions for each feeding.

nksv

Thanks Boss,
Doing a few Aces so after some good mixes - need them not so dense with nutrients, easy to burn those lovely sats.
I'll be doing mostly compost, coco coir, rock dust etc...keeping soil really basic.

joodzr

Had a weird idea, has anyone tried to grow an outdoor plant in straight seaweed? Of course it would be very thoroughly washed. Any opinions would be good ��

T

Teddybrae

Come Back Silver Surfer!

Come Back Silver Surfer!

I would like to know what's needed to loosen up the soil in this old bed ... which as you see is very compacted.

It is Red Basalt amended with chook shit, cow shit.

I have dug the bed over and applied Dolomite.

It has fallowed for nine months.

Thanks in anticipation ... maybe there's another very old man out there who could help?

picture.php

Last edited:

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey ya mate! :wave:

You should see if gypsum will be useful for a start. Test your soil by mixing a tablespoon in a glass of water... leave it overnight and if it remains cloudy then gypsum will be effective to break down the clay a little. If the water is clear then you need lots of organic matter (compost, aged manure, leaf mould etc etc) incorporated...

Personally i would add gypsum regardless and organic matter... it depends how much backache you wish to receive but you could dig the whole patch over, break up the clods and sods and mix through organic matter OR you can just go around forking holes in the soil and then sheet mulching with lots of mulch, poo, and cardboard permaculture style...

Have fun!

T

Teddybrae

Thanks for that input, Silver.

the soil is loam so shouldn't have much clay. will add Gypsum anyway. can't do harm and will add sulphur.

have worms on site ... are in a fertilizer bag and we're taking kitchen scraps to feed them while preparing soil.

Two questions:

can I dig in Chaff? want to use bed soon so will smaller fragments of vegetation rot down quicker? I would think so.

second question: because worms eat organic matter my bed will shrink, yes? so I must continually put Mulch on top, yes? the more nutritious the better. wonder if I can get peanut hay ...

I intend to use NutriTech's home garden recipes. EG: their compost and I will get a microbe bubbler ...

thanks for the info ... will look at yr "Recycled Living Soil".

good yr here once more!

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah you can dig chaff in if you like or just sheet mulch as mentioned which is much less labour intensive and lets the worms and critters move the organic matter into the soil. If you plan on using the bed soon i would get some lucerne chaff...

Nutritech have some good stuff i used to use their humic acid granules which are very affordable and go a long way.

Did you listen to the podcast?

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your bed shouldn't shrink if you sheet mulch properly it will grow quite significantly... until its all broken down.

If you mix it all through it will also grow initially and then shrink as the matter is 'digested' and rain compacts the soil...:tiphat:

T

Teddybrae

Good System? Comments Welcome

Good System? Comments Welcome

picture.php

picture.php

The blurb says this is sufficient. Do you think this can be improved upon?

Latest posts

Latest posts