What's new

Organic Fanatics - Australia

luvaduck

Have been trying Organic Link in veg this year during veg. Great results to say the least. High in carbon and all sorts of goodies. The guy who runs the show is a very switched on agronomist.
Spread a dusting of diatomaceous earth around the other day. Will keep it up, and report results. Good for plants, bad for bugs.
Healthy growing all.

ozzieAI

Veteran
Have been trying Organic Link in veg this year during veg. Great results to say the least. High in carbon and all sorts of goodies. The guy who runs the show is a very switched on agronomist.

this stuff is my number 1 fert in my grows and use it throughout my grow cycle amending my soil each time i transplant. got quantities worked out so that it is close to depleted as the plants finish flowering...organic link is 'the shit'....

luvaduck

this stuff is my number 1 fert in my grows and use it throughout my grow cycle amending my soil each time i transplant. got quantities worked out so that it is close to depleted as the plants finish flowering...organic link is 'the shit'....

yeah i gave some to a mate up here to try... have had great results, there neem oil is A1, liquid silica, triple boost, all good stuff. good quality molasses to be had here too. what do you use for potash? i tried k carb in mid flowering, seemed to put on a bit of weight.
stay green !
:tiphat:

luvaduck

good one, have ammended the veg this year with the humic acid. am trying a bag of nutri store at the moment. full of goodies apparently. lots of available carbon, am familiar with the theory, am looking forward to seeing the results.
stay safe y'all.

ozzieAI

Veteran
i have been looking into high brix gardening...even got myself a refractor metre (spelling) to test sugar levels...just having a hard time getting enough juice out of the leaves to get a true reading...using amended soils really has hit favourably for me as well as grow bros who have little or no experience...nothing like just adding water for simplicity

to add to that i feed via waterings 3 times (weeks 2, 6, 8) with go-go juice, seasol, powerfeed and micro phos, this gives the plants a real kick along. at other times i add neem oil, (never with go-go juice because neem oil is a bactericide) and silica. i never use full strength on the powerfeed and only feed up to the final repot when the plant goes into flowering as it can add too much nitrogen into the system.

ozzieAI

Veteran

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
ive had some pretty good success with a kelp product this flowering season , "Arcadian"
a visible difference with onset of flowers and bulk in general ..

yes i used chook shit satty ,, always do ,, cannabis absolutely loves chook shit ,
just use it sparingly and be sure its aged ,
this is all i used this season ..

1 x 140 mm pot of chook shit
" ' "" of katek organic life
" ' "" of perlite

mix well ,, water frequently with powerfeed and molasses ,
Arcadian for flowering ..

all organic and works best ive seen ..

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
oops nearly forgot ,,
spray them caterpillers ,
once flowering every 3 weeks with spinosad (success)
or they will destroy your hard earned crop ...

G

greendream420

Hey sat rxb, thanks for the info mate. Great to hear of chook poo giving good results, katec sounds like well as you put it "the bomb"! Sorry to hear of your tragedy mate, still pulled smoke of it I hope. CAnt wait for your next report on it.

Silver surfer, thanks mate it looks like great stuff! Although, I cannot find the terrafirma locally atm I will keep trying.

Sorry I have forgotten your user name champ, for the poster in response to the power pellets.
Glad to hear you rate them so highly, I have ordered some for myself.
Did you use their application rate?

Alright, has anyone heard of "phosphorous rich organic manure" or PROM?
Very cool indeed, anyone with soft rock phosphate must check it out...
Here it is http://www.promsociety.net/profile.htm
And wikipedia is worth a look to.
More research needed but seems viable.
Cheers

G

greendream420

And here is the manuscript by dmr sekhar http://precedings.nature.com/documents/2411/version/1
Please read the whole page, enjoy.
I apologize but I do not have a computer atm and a basic phone so I am unable to copy and paste and cannot take the time to put it into context for everyone.
Hope you guys find it as interesting and exciting as I have!
cheers

G

greendream420

Forgot to mention, in the last link I posted there is pdf file which is the publishment with the good stuff ;)

monoclepop

Sorry for my ignorance, Yates say that dynamic lifter on their web page, it contains -seaweed meal-fish meal- blood and bone, aswell as chook poo.
I have heard a few good things about it recently.
Any nice just add water recipes with dl as part the mix?

:tiphat:

Gidday Greendream,

I use a fair bit of Yates Dynamic Lifter in my outdoor container garden. I grow a bunch of herbs, tomatoes, limes, etc. I only grow weed indoors, and I use a little DL there too. All my growing occurs in the cheapest nastiest potting mix I can find at Bunnings - this is because I live in an apartment in the big city.

I switched onto DL in my outdoor as I found that with container gardening it's really difficult to maintain soil condition with frequent watering. In summer some days I'm pouring at least 5-10l of water a day into my 75l tomato plant containers - all this water just strips out the humus from the soil and the plants can starve.

Dynamic Lifter seems to really help maintain the soil - instead of drying out and the soil turning to rubbishy bark and sand, with DL my potting mix stays dark, much more worm activity (love my worms in my outdoor container garden), much better water retention etc. For a container grower in high summer the water retention is the best part of having healthy soil.

Growing in shitty potting mix containers is a poor substitute for growing in the actual living ground, but DL does make the best of a bad situation. And it's cheap... as shit, lol.

Other random thoughts:

It is a slow release - depending on the activity in your soil it does take a week or two to start breaking down and to see it start to make an impact. I supplement with light liquid feeding (kelp and/or liquid blood&bone) to feed the herd and keep things rolling along.

DL doesn't seem to break down that well if left lying on the surface of the soil - far better to poke it into the surface a little if you are top dressing.

DL stinks like shit - newsflash! I prefer to wear gardening gloves when handling it as it's difficult to easily wash off the smell. Not so desirable in a grow closet. The smell vanishes completely within a few days of the DL hitting your soil, so prepare soil early if you're planning on using it indoors or make sure that no DL is on or near the surface.

You will need to supplement with other stuff. When experimenting with nothing but DL in my indoor closet grow I have found my weed lacking magnesium, calcium and potassium (I think, though sometimes it's a little hard to track down multiple defs at once). This is with nothing but DL and rubbish bark-based potting mix mind and I tend towards underfeeding rather than overfeeding FYI.

Conclusion

DL is the shit. Great container fert - keeps soil in much better shape than liquid feeding alone. Add a little dolomite too, and keep up light liquid feeding. It's not too strong either so don't be afraid to throw big handfuls of it around if you are dealing with big hungry plants.

Hope this gives you some ideas - :blowbubbles: cheers mate

S

Sat X RB

Monoclepop? you don't sound one-eyed!

I liked yr breakdown of Dynamic lifter ...

(Edit) in regard to overheating/leaching of yr pots: when I grew in pots I insulated them with hay. bales of hay break up into 'biscuits' which I arranged around the pot and tied tight. also mulch on top and saucers underneath helped a lot. (end edit.)

it makes sense that there will be mineral deficiences using DL alone. chook poo can't provide everything ... altho I have read somewhere that the manufacturers have a special DL for rose growers with added Potash.

dolomite seems a must to me ... but maybe not too much ... and rely on Seasol or some other kelp based mixture for trace elements ...

anyway, seems to me organic growing is an on-going experiment ... there are few hard and fast rules ...

cheers ...

Last edited:

luvaduck

Organic growing is hard(er) work satty, to keep a heavy feeder such as our favourite plant in ideal health takes effort.. but imo is worth it. Availability of the good stuff, (ferts and info), is easier these days, as more people are edjemicated.
Ive been using foliar silica/potash, anyone tried?

S

Sat X RB

Organic growing is hard(er) work satty, to keep a heavy feeder such as our favourite plant in ideal health takes effort.. but imo is worth it. Availability of the good stuff, (ferts and info), is easier these days, as more people are edjemicated.
Ive been using foliar silica/potash, anyone tried?

Organic growing can be something of a minefield as there seems (to me) to be a few different views of what OG is.

my own angle is to try to get away from dependence on manufacturers. and I think that a point has been missed when, for example, someone inquires here whether bummings has the ingredients necessary for their organic crop this summer. (and neither do I trust some maufacturers who say their product is this or that.)

but this is not to put shit on anyone's efforts because that is MY general viewpoint about living itself ... and why I live in the bush far away from supermarkets. it's personal preference ... it's MY thing. and not everyone can live the way I do ... for many reasons.

anyway Luva, I have used two types of foliar potash. one is Nutri-Tech's organic "Backyard Bloom" which contains silicates, and the other is Searles Liquid Potash, an interesting non-organic brew of potassium carbonate (so it should not acidify). the latter is a BOMB. at least it was on my vegies! (I have discovered that when the Searles product is mixed with my bore water a precipitate forms. so I wonder if then the plant is getting the ingredients in a form it can use. I would caution that the Searles product must be mixed with rainwater.)

but with each product it turned out I was not feeding my flowering cannabis with enough other minerals (N and P) for either the organic or chemical potash to show grand results. I think both of them would IF the other minerals are sufficient.

I have yet to grasp how much food flowering cannabis can consume, and when to apply it, but I 'm on to it and maybe next season I 'll be able to speak with more expertise ...

cheers All!

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My main inputs this coming season:

kelp - collected from a local beach

comfrey - grown in my garden and foraged from roadsides

compost/vermicast - kelp, comfrey,bracken ferns, horse poo, charcoal are main inputs. Adding charcoal is key and makes a far superior product. Activated with lucerne (alfalfa) soaked for 24 hours with around 500g molasses in 20 litres or so of fresh water.

Some organic pellets made by Neutrog. I forget which ones they are just loose in a big bucket now. Will be buying a big bag of Terra Firma once these run out, its basically the same thing as Dynamic Lifter, just certified organic... which is basically composted chicken poop.

Plants are thriving.

Only liquid nute i buy these days is some kind of silica.

This is maintained with regular foliars of silica, fulvic acid powder, aloe vera powder (the good stuff) and green coconut milk powder (fresh would be better but cant get em very often).

Also weekly applications of sprouted barley 'tea' for the massive enzyme boost.

Good humus material (compost) plus even moisture will grow any plant. The foliars are used as a tonic to keep em pest free and dose with growth hormones. This is especially important indoors and getting em established outdoors.

Experimenting with hugelkulture. Basically digging a decent hole and filling it up with rotten wood, then soil on top. Results have to be seen to be believed...

Have a great day! :smoke: