What's new

Opiated Weed: Is There any Truth in it?

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
I also have tons of 70's Jr. High experience with "Opiated Thai" (and "Opiated Black Hash")

Who knows- some of it might have actually had opium in it...!

We got wasted though, that's for sure...

F. Dupp

Veteran
Is opium that nasty red clay type shit that was going around about 15 years ago? The shit that clogs your pipe and barely gets you high?

G

Guest3498

"There were also certain shipments of Thai herb in the '70s and early '80s that recieved the "passa-water" wash. Passa-water was a byproduct of the heroin trade. It was the leftover water used to "cook" the morphine/heroin from raw opium. It contained all of the constituents of opium except most of the morphine or heroin. The curing Thai herb was soaked in the passa-water and re-dried to absorb the opiate alkaloids. The result was a high some people sought, but was much more than most bargained for. A good passa-wash was an enjoyable thing but not all of it was well made. Sometimes the buds were a bit over-laced. This caused problems for some people, especially drinkers, who would start spinning into unconsciousness after a few hits on a joint." DJ Short

Sour Deez

I got to smoke it once..The real thing,not the fake oily stuff people peddle at concerts or festivals.It was the Grateful Dead in 1987 in Philadelphia.Parking lot.It was soft and maleable ,and burned slowly ,similar to hash..Smell just like flowers,,very similar to dove or dial soap..was heavenly to say the least

And dont use your weed pipe to smoke the opium. Your pipe will forever have that soapy smell.

I use to be able to get opium, 25/g tho, dont know if thats good or not. Use to put it on top of buds similar to how i would use hash. Definetly increased the high. Never tried it by itself for some reason.

Wasnt around for the Thia sticks although i wish i was. Everyone i talk to says the sativas from the 70s were amazing.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
^^ I was going to say that.

During the 70's in the golden triangle there were lots of both opium and marijuana being grown, and often by the same people.

They'd soak some of the weed in "early water" because it was free, and rather then let it go to waste they would use it to increase the potency of their pot. Making it more expensive and sought after.

Is opium that nasty red clay type shit that was going around about 15 years ago? The shit that clogs your pipe and barely gets you high?

No that was "red rock". A type of incense sold in head shops and sold to teenagers who didn't know any better. I'm guessing you were in high school 15 years ago?

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
And dont use your weed pipe to smoke the opium. Your pipe will forever have that soapy smell.

I use to be able to get opium, 25/g tho, dont know if thats good or not. Use to put it on top of buds similar to how i would use hash. Definetly increased the high. Never tried it by itself for some reason.

Don't know what quality of opium you were getting but during the early years of the afghan war before they started searching soldiers outgoing mail we used to see very nice opium for 30-40 dollars a gram. It didn't leave any kind of soapy smell. It smelled great. Like roasted hazel nuts. Had a thick, expansive, soft smoke.

I miss it but I'm kinda glad its not around anymore. A lot of my friends started smoking it, then it disappeared just as quickly as it showed up. That was about 8 years ago now.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Does anyone have hard evidence for this?

To start, I can't understand why a farmer in S.E Asia would dip his flowers in water in a tropical climate and risk mould ruining his crop. Also i believe even if there were opiates in the water it would dry to only a thin layer upon the surface of the plant matter contributing very little to the high.

For those who don't know, poppy seed pod latex is dissolved in water in order to separate plant matter from the opioids. Opioids are soluble in water which means the water can be strained and the plant matter separated. The opioids are recovered via an acid base reaction which causes them to precipitate and form as a solid which can be filtered from the water.

Overall, i think it is just peculiarly potent cannabis rather than it being adulterated with opiates.

Please post your thoughts and opinions this matter and any references to opiated cannabis in scientific journals.

With thanks, Emil

heres something from some guys that went there and purchased a bunch of thai stick ..
top of page in quote form ...
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=217980&page=2

joeuser

It was real all right...in fact, there's a thread about it a few months back.

I've had it...it's devastating. It was buds covered in Opium tar. Looked just like a bud dipped in regular roofing tar and allowed to harden. Never again had anything close to it. I literally could not control my body. Walking was a real chore and changing direction nearly impossible. Never saw it again...and yes, someone mentioned 1974...I believe that was when we got it. Only the one year.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Opiated hash is common.
Have never seen opiated ganja, but don't doubt it at all.
Contrary to what one poster said, opium/heroin are very cheap in their source countries.
Even in Mexico now, black tar heroin is very cheap, which is why it's spreading so much and is a big problem in the Southwest.

MMJcali

If they were "lacing" weed with opiates, Im sure you would be paying for it.

I have heard many times that Ecstacy is cut with heroin. Now why would you use a much more expensive drug as cut unless you were retarded?

You will rarely find pure MDMA. Yes, there are pills that are pressed with opiates - not necessarily heroin though. think about it, an oxy pill from the dr costs you what, 50 cents (with insurance)? its not too farfetched to find chemists who can synthesize these same compounds to press into pills for around the same price. not to endorse that kind of behavior though... I have heard that chemists will do this to get you hooked easier.

now raw natural opium is another story...sounds impractical, IMO.

lets just stick to good ol' homegrown, shall we :rasta::rasta:

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I smoked it frequently in the 70s. Opiated Thai stick

I smoked it frequently in the 70s. Opiated Thai stick

The Thai stick bud was pure Sativa and had a great up euphoric head high. Problem was, it had no body high. I was told that the plants were year rounders over 15 feet tall that they trimmed from bamboo ladders.

Evidently there is a water by product left over from making Heroin, that still has Morphine, Heroin, and Codien in it. This is what I was told. Sometimes it was weak, sometimes it was super strong.

After thoroughly drying the Thai buds, they would dip them in the by product water, then put them back out to dry. Nothing was wasted, and now the Thai stick bud had a body high too. Instead of 10 or 15 dollars, those cost 25

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
We had quite a lot of the 'golden thai' in australia when i was a lad ,
it was not on sticks ,
we purchased ounces of it,
just like we get it nowdays ,
i thought it the best of the thai i had ,
and didnt see any evidence of it being wet after harvest ,
it would certianly have changed the look of the herb ..

Whilst i wont doubt anyone ,
mostly i see folks saying they were told ,
not one person has said , yes i saw t hem doing it ,, i was there ,,

well except the post i linked from a g uy who was there , ,did see and said no there was no opium added to the sticks ..

seems like opiumated thai sticks is a bit of speculation with no concrete evidence imho ...

dont underestimate what can happen with the best genetics in the best climate grown by the best farmers ...

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
The weed we got in the 60s and 70s in NorthCentral California, had no body high. The Columbian Red did in maybe 75. Everything was Haze, Mexican ,Thai. hawaiian sativa. The Opiated they sold as Opiated, and we all knew what that meant. The high was much stronger and different, It cost more.It was always wrapped on sticks.

When my friends got Afghani, and Red Lebanese seeds in 1977 and crossed them, it was a real big deal. Weed with both head and body high and great flavor. Kief weed.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its an interesting subject. I have to admit that there have been a couple times in my life when smoking weed has caused me to hallucinate, and or given my the bedspins, caused me to puke, etc. So who knows what youre getting really? Its what makes the black market so exciting.

I grow weed that is so potent that some people have done all of that. In America I can say for sure that the weed you get is not laced with anything unless you are paying for it, and know it. No one here laces, unless they do it to their own personal smoke.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
where I'm from, a lot of people buy heroin and cheap colombian pressed brick,and mix them both and smoke it, they do it for personal use though, not to sell; and btw heroin is way more expensive than colombian brick; however, the colombian "cripi" is more expensive than heroin or cocaine.

btw, this unholy mixture of colombian shit weed and heroin is called 'camboyano', or in english 'cambodian'.

I saw so many times how many neighbors who smoke a joint of this mixture, and climb a huge natural rock-wall, without ropes or anything; crazy mofos! lol

F. Dupp

Veteran
No that was "red rock". A type of incense sold in head shops and sold to teenagers who didn't know any better. I'm guessing you were in high school 15 years ago?

Good guess. I never understood how that got on the scene. A little glob of that would wreck a big bowl of weed real fast.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
in afghanistan there are times when high quality hash is worth more than opium - so it does happen and ive had opiated hash back in the day. never had opiated weed though