What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

- Opiated Thai Sticks: Myth or Truth? -

Status
Not open for further replies.

musigny23

This is hilarious. Just as on so much social media, a question can be asked, lots of myths repeated and meaningless anecdotes given, beliefs, speculations and elaborate rationalizations expressed, but facts and evidence are debated, dismissed, resisted and/or ignored by half the participants.

Even the word used here is not a real word. It's o-p-i-a-t-e-d, OPIATED, not
opiumnated.

There were no commercially produced and exported Thai sticks that contained opiates.

THERE WERE NOT. Not in 1974 or '79 or '82. Just very strong tropical narrow leaf drug varieties that often were intensely cured and often took enough time to reach markets that the cannabinoids oxidized into the more relaxing and sedating ones. That's all. They remained strong but the effects shifted as they aged.

As has been stated this is just a nonsense street drug user mythology that refuses to die because enough people deeply emotionally want it to be true. It is not.

Now watch while someone argues this again.

Stocktont

Veteran
In Thailand Bangkok at the same time period you could still find quality Thai to smoke if you knew the right people i know this for a fact as a close friend went there monthly on business and the first thing he did after dropping his bags off was to go see his local mate and score his weed.The same friend collected the Golden Buddha line (named by the Thai guy he got it from ) just encase that is a problem to.

You're sitting here what 40 years later arguing that you know something that you didn't experience about a place you never went to calling others too young to know as they were not there in the 70s. You weren't even there, period. Going by your own twisted argumentative techniques you're disqualified, no soup for you! NEXT!

Veggia farmer

This is hilarious. Just as on so much social media, a question can be asked, lots of myths repeated and meaningless anecdotes given, beliefs, speculations and elaborate rationalizations expressed, but facts and evidence are debated, dismissed, resisted and/or ignored by half the participants.

opiumnated.

There were no commercially produced and exported Thai sticks that contained opiates.

THERE WERE NOT. Not in 1974 or '79 or '82. Just very strong tropical narrow leaf drug varieties that often were intensely cured and often took enough time to reach markets that the cannabinoids oxidized into the more relaxing and sedating ones. That's all. They remained strong but the effects shifted as they aged.

As has been stated this is just a nonsense street drug user mythology that refuses to die because enough people deeply emotionally want it to be true. It is not.

:lurk:

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran

opiumnated.

It really doesnt matter to me.

I would like to point out that your words appear very emotional.

You also come across as a know-it- all. Did you serve in Vietnam, that you know so much?
Thanks for your opinion.....

Dirtboy808

Veteran
July 1974 was the only time I saw them and smoked them. Black sticks with white specke. I thought it was mold but no it wasn't. Aloha DB

musigny23

You also come across as a know-it- all. Did you serve in Vietnam, that you know so much?

Doesn't matter to you? I would like to point out that your posting appears to say the opposite.

Very emotional? In what sense? You're confusing the emphasis technique of using caps as emotion.

You've been reading this thread haven't you? I'm a know it all? It isn't only me stating it. Did you miss the posts by various people with extensive firsthand participation and knowledge of all the various aspects of this that categorically debunked the myth?

How exactly would service in Vietnam endow someone with definitive knowledge about this? It wouldn't.

The opinion I have is that facts matter more than beliefs.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
The only time I saw what was called opium washed , was like you dropped your hash in the sea, white streaked

white streaks = mold

Only once – probably in 1972 or 73 – I bought a quarter oz of what was called ‘opiated’ Nepalese fingertip. IIRC it was medium hard & black & shaped like flattened fingers - with visible white veins. It was very good hash - possibly the best that I have ever tried until recently. But . . . I think ngakpa has finally explained the white veins. :rasta:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran

Doesn't matter to you? I would like to point out that your posting appears to say the opposite.

Very emotional? In what sense? You're confusing the emphasis technique of using caps as emotion.

You've been reading this thread haven't you? I'm a know it all? It isn't only me stating it. Did you miss the posts by various people with extensive firsthand participation and knowledge of all the various aspects of this that categorically debunked the myth?

How exactly would service in Vietnam endow someone with definitive knowledge about this? It wouldn't.

The opinion I have is that facts matter more than beliefs.

I agree its hilarious ,
only those with no first hand knowledge dispute your claims , stonktonts , sam skunkmans , my own , ngkapa etc ,

like hearsay has more influence over folks than first hand experience ,
but we all know to prove something requires proof ,

none has been provided ,
the ones arguing their case the most have never been to thailand , certainly never went there during the times they say this phenomenon existed , there is even dispute over the years ,
dr purp says none after early to mid 70 s ,, hempy says very late 70s when he was what 14 or 15 years old at best?

no evidence to explain how the products were mixed,

none to explain how the products were moved from one part of the country to the other ,
no laboratory analysis , none was intercepted by police ,
no hospital reports of opium addiction due to smoking thai sticks ,
none of any overdoses ,
one would almost assume they are simply making it up ,
however they were told by reliable sources , aka street dealers who wanted to increase their profit margin , so it must be true right??
:laughing::laughing::laughing:
heck their stories dont even correlate...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We live in a time where facts don't matter on any subject. Lies and opinions are more important lol..

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
i guess some westerners in temperate climates also tried to grow the odd seed and found the end product nothing like the sticks the seed had come from ,
and rather than thinking being so far from the original climate ,
and not getting their plants properly mature or curing the result as was done with the original product ,
that someone had added something to increase the potency ...

we grew some when i was younger in a temperate climate and found it not remotely the same as the original...

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
I smoked a lot of the black afghani gold sealed or gold stamped as we used to call it, never saw it being laced with anything. When was it you got it with opium? Was it laced like a coating of opium or was it bits inside the hash? That's a nice boss that is kind enough to discriminated favorably towards some drugs hehe

I had lots of blocks of it, they came in 500g blocks, gold painted LOL logo airoplane, or ak's or or ..There was a big bust here in the 2000's in johannesburg I think or somewhere close with container loads, with the FBI equivalent busting a bust that no one really stood time for significantly and going all the way to the top, now you cant make this shit up, our national police chief was involved, along with some mafia and a parisian and canadian "crime syndicate" with protection from our corrupt president who in tapes was quoted with the mafiosi saying "the president is a gangster who will look after his own" or something to that effect, and later involved a murder/suicide of a mining magnate and the murderer getting off for being a state witness, to the murder...and the national police chief connected to all the crooks was ex head of interpol! LOL for real.

So within a month of the bust the corrupt cops were selling the shit back to the street at wholesale prices rock bottom like back then exchange rate $200-300 a 1/2 kg block or less if buying loads..there were tons and tons and tons of it, container loads..apparently reading old news now, it came through iran and was ultimately destined for canada! LOL yeah well the south africans smoked that stuff for the next few years, and the next few after that too! There were good blocks and meh blocks, and in each block there be variance, some would have amazing fruity charas like sections obviously coming from high quality sift being pressed, some of the would be sticky as hell, most of it dark brown black and hashy tasting, some would be more acrid tasting, worse to burn and leave more ash behind, but still reasonably sticky and I always surmised that there were maybe there was opium pressed with some as the all came in through the same trade routes from afghanistan/iran/who knows..when the guys came to me to help figure out their positive tests at work they were a bunch of rastas who smoked copiously and their boss was 100% ok with that but smack LOL not..I bought some piss tests at a pharmacy grabbed some ethanol and we did a little experiment..positive for opiates. I've done the same tests to show people there is speed in their coke for example, they wont differentiate speed from MD but ja it will show opiates in weed products which must be hellavu rare LOL. Except maybe in this country where mixing anti HIV drugs and cheap ass weed and low grade heroin and smoking it, is a thing.. so heroin weed mixtures these days are even sold to the kids inpoor neighborhoods its pretty sad..but that is completely off topic and disconnected to the opiated hash that we encountered years before.

But sorry its off topic this is about opiated thai sticks which was before my time so I have nothing constructive to add on that..

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
You're sitting here what 40 years later arguing that you know something that you didn't experience about a place you never went to calling others too young to know as they were not there in the 70s. You weren't even there, period. Going by your own twisted argumentative techniques you're disqualified, no soup for you! NEXT!

How old are Stocktont and how would you know what i or others saw or smoked in the 70s or 80s you would not have a clue and yet you come on here acting like some type of expert trying to disprove what i or others post.

Like i said my close friend was in Thailand all threw the 80s for work he made very close contacts there where were you in the 80s watching sesame street ?.

Opiumated Thai sticks were real as was opiumated hash.

How many Thai sativa lines have you grown out Stocktont over the last 40 years.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I don't believe Thai sticks contained opium. Although it was the late 70's or maybe early 80's when I last had the pleasure, the affect was pure sativa, nothing at all like an opium high, from what I recall.

There were rumours of them dipped in opium, but as others have said this was likely urban legend to explain why they were so strong.

Edit; Another thing, if the sticks did have opium in them I think the authorities of the day would have been putting that information out. After all it would have fed into the anti drug propaganda of the day.

Last edited:

Stocktont

Veteran
How old are Stocktont and how would you know what i or others saw or smoked in the 70s or 80s you would not have a clue and yet you come on here acting like some type of expert trying to disprove what i or others post.

Like i said my close friend was in Thailand all threw the 80s for work he made very close contacts there where were you in the 80s watching sesame street ?.

Opiumated Thai sticks were real as was opiumated hash.

How many Thai sativa lines have you grown out Stocktont over the last 40 years.

Hahaha you're still on “how old are you” thinking you have some point to gain from that. I never said I was in Thailand in the 70s in fact I have stated that I wasn't. I am not saying that I know what you or others smoked in the 70s or 80s I am only pointing out to you that some of the things you talk about like “matter of fact” you don't know. I am not acting like “some kind of expert” I am only disagreeing with you and I think that is obvious for most who actually read my posts and understand them, which you have seemed unable to do on multiple occasions. I am not disproving anything, that is the first problem you have, you think you're proving things. Why don't you go and google a few of your key words like; “heard”, “read”, “my friend said to me” and then have a long think about how much proof anything you write so “matter of fact” about are.

So don't come back and make up new perspective to your little argument that I am too young to talk about anything. I never said I was old as fuck like you say you are. I never made any kind of claim that insinuate me being old or young or any age. It's not an argument and I think it's obvious to all the other readers, who understand what they read, what you are doing.

Why don't you talk about your own “line” of Thia, the one you got from someone who found three seeds in some imported weed where one was hermie instead of trying to insult me (though you're not successful) by calling me young... I am just smiling... I have a pretty good life, to day I am traveling about in south east asia, going to smoke some nice herbs when I get off this boat I am on. Do you think I really care that much about some argument with you or about my age? Hahaha

and how would the number of thai “lines” as you put it though they're probably all the same variety with some variation from the diversity of the genetics, which you get if the thai “lines” comes from a bigger selection than three seeds in some imported weed of which one was hermie, lol. I might have grown 20 or 25 different sources of thai seeds as you said the last 40 years. I didn't grow them in the 70s though so get your panties out of that twist already. But again, what does the number of “lines” I have grown have to do with anything other than you trying to attack my character. How many did you “collect” as you call it, in the regions where they are from? That's a better question to this whole silly debate.

Get one thing straight, this is not about you, I couldn't care less, it's about south east asia and Thailand as I like this place and I think pretends like you that parrot some sort of online forum narrative about a place you never even visited are giving bad information that's all. I don't care what your friends told you or who your friends are. When the information is so obviously just a narrative you or someone else made up it's not strange that other people will disagree and contradict you, you should be used to it by now.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Hahaha you're still on “how old are you” thinking you have some point to gain from that. I never said I was in Thailand in the 70s in fact I have stated that I wasn't. I am not saying that I know what you or others smoked in the 70s or 80s I am only pointing out to you that some of the things you talk about like “matter of fact” you don't know. I am not acting like “some kind of expert” I am only disagreeing with you and I think that is obvious for most who actually read my posts and understand them, which you have seemed unable to do on multiple occasions. I am not disproving anything, that is the first problem you have, you think you're proving things. Why don't you go and google a few of your key words like; “heard”, “read”, “my friend said to me” and then have a long think about how much proof anything you write so “matter of fact” about are.

So don't come back and make up new perspective to your little argument that I am too young to talk about anything. I never said I was old as fuck like you say you are. I never made any kind of claim that insinuate me being old or young or any age. It's not an argument and I think it's obvious to all the other readers, who understand what they read, what you are doing.

Why don't you talk about your own “line” of Thia, the one you got from someone who found three seeds in some imported weed where one was hermie instead of trying to insult me (though you're not successful) by calling me young... I am just smiling... I have a pretty good life, to day I am traveling about in south east asia, going to smoke some nice herbs when I get off this boat I am on. Do you think I really care that much about some argument with you or about my age? Hahaha

and how would the number of thai “lines” as you put it though they're probably all the same variety with some variation from the diversity of the genetics
, which you get if the thai “lines” comes from a bigger selection than three seeds in some imported weed of which one was hermie, lol. I might have grown 20 or 25 different sources of thai seeds as you said the last 40 years. I didn't grow them in the 70s though so get your panties out of that twist already. But again, what does the number of “lines” I have grown have to do with anything other than you trying to attack my character. How many did you “collect” as you call it, in the regions where they are from? That's a better question to this whole silly debate.

Get one thing straight, this is not about you, I couldn't care less, it's about south east asia and Thailand as I like this place and I think pretends like you that parrot some sort of online forum narrative about a place you never even visited are giving bad information that's all. I don't care what your friends told you or who your friends are. When the information is so obviously just a narrative you or someone else made up it's not strange that other people will disagree and contradict you, you should be used to it by now.

You have no clue or understanding of The old Thai genetics clearly if you did you know it wast a phino hunt for starters .

Your full of it Stocktont.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I don't believe Thai sticks contained opium. Although it was the late 70's or maybe early 80's when I last had the pleasure, the affect was pure sativa, nothing at all like an opium high, from what I recall.

There were rumours of them dipped in opium, but as others have said this was likely urban legend to explain why they were so strong.

Edit; Another thing, if the sticks did have opium in them I think the authorities of the day would have been putting that information out. After all it would have fed into the anti drug propaganda of the day.

Thai sticks being imported in to here the US and other places were not all from the same batch you had distinctly different Thai sticks so they were from different Thai sativa lines.

Opiumated Thai sticks were not common they would pop up here n there and when they were available you still had normal Thai sticks to pick from.

If you look at the old photos that have been posted even in icmag alone of Thai sticks you will find many different looking Thai sticks .

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Just a few examples

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Thai sticks being imported in to here the US and other places were not all from the same batch you had distinctly different Thai sticks so they were from different Thai sativa lines.

Opiumated Thai sticks were not common they would pop up here n there and when they were available you still had normal Thai sticks to pick from.

If you look at the old photos that have been posted even in icmag alone of Thai sticks you will find many different looking Thai sticks .
you just scanned over my post ,
did you not see any way of answering the statements i put forward about the lack of evidence to support your claims,

you havent addressed how anyone shifted tonnes of opium and or weed from one part of the country to the other ,
how folks that dont do business went about doing this phenomenal task , who paid for it to happen ??

you just cherry pick and avoid the hard questions , gloss over them and pretend they didnt happen ??

because u knew a guy that went to thailand doesnt mean you have any idea what was going on there,, where the thai sticks were grown , by who etc etc ,
where the opium was grown , by who ,
nothing about the geography of the country ,
the people , their traditions ,
and expect people to see you as some sort of authority on what was happening ??

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
No offense Donald but after the racist bull shit you posted and your constant trolling and insults harassment i have had from you in the forum along with the childish reputation messages i get from you i have chosen to just ignore you.

Have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts