What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

- Opiated Thai Sticks: Myth or Truth? -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Thai sticks being imported in to here the US and other places were not all from the same batch you had distinctly different Thai sticks so they were from different Thai sativa lines.

Opiumated Thai sticks were not common they would pop up here n there and when they were available you still had normal Thai sticks to pick from.

If you look at the old photos that have been posted even in icmag alone of Thai sticks you will find many different looking Thai sticks .
Different batches of Thai stick doesn't prove anything. You seem to be basing your entire belief on the hearsay of a friends uncle? You've already stated you weren't there. People tell all sorts of stories, especially if there is money involved, and an illegal product.

It's not something that can ever be proved either way. To me the whole thing makes no sense whatsoever, apart from the point of view of marketing a product.

There's also no evidence from authorities in Thailand, USA or Australia that I'm aware of, despite the fact that drug seizures were analysed. If there had been opium added to Thai stick I think that info would be out there, outside of stoner circles.

The best quote in the whole thread is from Sam S on the first page;
"I agree I never saw Thai sticks in Thailand with Heroin wash or Opium added it is just made up to help sell the sticks. Opium is much more expensive that Thai sticks were why would Thais want to do this? I knew many in the trade in Thailand none thought it was real, all thought it was made up, also the best Thai did not need anything added. I visited Thailand a dozen times over many years and my focus was always Cannabis or Cannabis seeds." -SamS

djav59

The few times I smoked sticks in US there was no O on it if you could even get real raw opium then it was expensive I never saw it mixed due to that alone.
The sticks were so sticky ,sweet,and strong it didn't need any additives.
You could tell you were in for a treat just by smell.

musigny23

Thai sticks being imported in to here the US and other places were not all from the same batch you had distinctly different Thai sticks so they were from different Thai sativa lines.

Opiumated Thai sticks were not common they would pop up here n there and when they were available you still had normal Thai sticks to pick from.

If you look at the old photos that have been posted even in icmag alone of Thai sticks you will find many different looking Thai sticks .

I know you don't know what you're talking about because you keep saying "opiumnated". Because that is not a word, those definitely didn't exist.

Opiated Thai sticks did not "pop up". You just mentioned there was variety in the form of different batches. True. But the existence of different batches did not mean some had opium in them. It only meant there were different batches produced by different producers and imported and distributed by different importers. That's all.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Different batches of Thai stick doesn't prove anything. You seem to be basing your entire belief on the hearsay of a friends uncle? You've already stated you weren't there. People tell all sorts of stories, especially if there is money involved, and an illegal product.

It's not something that can ever be proved either way. To me the whole thing makes no sense whatsoever, apart from the point of view of marketing a product.

There's also no evidence from authorities in Thailand, USA or Australia that I'm aware of, despite the fact that drug seizures were analysed. If there had been opium added to Thai stick I think that info would be out there, outside of stoner circles.

The best quote in the whole thread is from Sam S on the first page;
"I agree I never saw Thai sticks in Thailand with Heroin wash or Opium added it is just made up to help sell the sticks. Opium is much more expensive that Thai sticks were why would Thais want to do this? I knew many in the trade in Thailand none thought it was real, all thought it was made up, also the best Thai did not need anything added. I visited Thailand a dozen times over many years and my focus was always Cannabis or Cannabis seeds." -SamS

No i base my belief on facts i smoked it so i would know there is a huge difference in smoking cannabis to that of opium and my mates uncle was just one of the sauces we used to get the Thai sticks from.

What most of you fail to understand here is just how abundant opium was at that time we could score pure opium to smoke along with lots of different cannabis and hash imports.

As for Law enforcement or other agency's like The UN drug agency having records of opiumated Thai sticks you should try researching more they do in fact have it recorded.

"Thai sticks" are small bamboo shoots filled with marijuana and laced with opium. The agreed price for these Thai sticks was $21 per stick. The persons who were to deliver the marijuana and the Thai sticks were different people. Hills returned to his farmhouse; shortly after 7:30 p.m., he left and went to the Riverview Bar where he was to meet the agents. Hills stated that the "Thai sticks" had been delivered and the person who delivered them was waiting alone at the farmhouse. En route to the farmhouse Hills stated that this person did not want to meet anyone. Upon arriving at the farmhouse, Hills, the informant and two agents entered. They passed through a limited area in the kitchen. Hills directed the three men into a den. He told the agents not to go into the living room; however, as they entered the house both agents observed the defendant-appellant, Thomas Monahan, seated in the living room. Following a discussion Hills left the den, went through the kitchen and into the living room. Following Hills into the kitchen, one agent observed Hills remove a bag from underneath a couch in the living room directly to the left of where Monahan was seated. In the den the sticks were counted, and after it was ascertained that there were 200, the bag with the sticks in it was returned to the hiding place in the living room. One agent left to get $4,200 from another agent waiting in the car while Hills brought the sticks back into the den. When the agent returned, both Hills and Monahan were arrested.
It was later discovered that the sticks were not laced with opium, but contained only marijuana and hashish.

https://law.justia.com/cases/wisconsin/supreme-court/1977/75-537-c-7.html

This is from United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime

In some parts of North America, for instance, the following combinations are found: 'Candy sticks: cannabis herb cigarettes laced with cocaine;'Buddha': cannabis herb spiked with opium; 'Ace' or ' Zoom' : cannabis herb mixed with PCP, etc.; use of cannabis in food items (e.g. in NorthAfrica'); 'Marijuana brownies' (e.g. in North America); as well as frequent use of both cannabis and alcohol (often reported from Europe and Aus-tralia).

https://www.unodc.org/pdf/research/wdr07/WDR_2007_1.4_cannabis.pdf

You have the DEA and Court Case on the bust of a shipment of hash oil laced Thai sticks.

You have United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime report clearly saying Buddha': cannabis herb spiked with opium

Chi13

ICMag Donor
No i base my belief on facts i smoked it so i would know there is a huge difference in smoking cannabis to that of opium and my mates uncle was just one of the sauces we used to get the Thai sticks from.

What most of you fail to understand here is just how abundant opium was at that time we could score pure opium to smoke along with lots of different cannabis and hash imports.

As for Law enforcement or other agency's like The UN drug agency having records of opiumated Thai sticks you should try researching more they do in fact have it recorded.

"Thai sticks" are small bamboo shoots filled with marijuana and laced with opium. The agreed price for these Thai sticks was $21 per stick. The persons who were to deliver the marijuana and the Thai sticks were different people. Hills returned to his farmhouse; shortly after 7:30 p.m., he left and went to the Riverview Bar where he was to meet the agents. Hills stated that the "Thai sticks" had been delivered and the person who delivered them was waiting alone at the farmhouse. En route to the farmhouse Hills stated that this person did not want to meet anyone. Upon arriving at the farmhouse, Hills, the informant and two agents entered. They passed through a limited area in the kitchen. Hills directed the three men into a den. He told the agents not to go into the living room; however, as they entered the house both agents observed the defendant-appellant, Thomas Monahan, seated in the living room. Following a discussion Hills left the den, went through the kitchen and into the living room. Following Hills into the kitchen, one agent observed Hills remove a bag from underneath a couch in the living room directly to the left of where Monahan was seated. In the den the sticks were counted, and after it was ascertained that there were 200, the bag with the sticks in it was returned to the hiding place in the living room. One agent left to get $4,200 from another agent waiting in the car while Hills brought the sticks back into the den. When the agent returned, both Hills and Monahan were arrested.
It was later discovered that the sticks were not laced with opium, but contained only marijuana and hashish.

https://law.justia.com/cases/wisconsin/supreme-court/1977/75-537-c-7.html

This is from United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime

In some parts of North America, for instance, the following combinations are found: 'Candy sticks: cannabis herb cigarettes laced with cocaine;'Buddha': cannabis herb spiked with opium; 'Ace' or ' Zoom' : cannabis herb mixed with PCP, etc.; use of cannabis in food items (e.g. in NorthAfrica'); 'Marijuana brownies' (e.g. in North America); as well as frequent use of both cannabis and alcohol (often reported from Europe and Aus-tralia).

You have the DEA and Court Case on the bust of a shipment of hash oil laced Thai sticks.

You have United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime report clearly saying Buddha': cannabis herb spiked with opium

Did you actually read that cut n paste before posting? Apparently not.
You even put it in bold font;
"It was later discovered that the sticks were not laced with opium, but contained only marijuana and hashish."

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Did you actually read that cut n paste before posting? Apparently not.
You even put it in bold font;
"It was later discovered that the sticks were not laced with opium, but contained only marijuana and hashish."

I did read it in fact and it was from a bust made by the DEA that they thought was opiumated Thai sticks but instead turned out to be imported Thai sticks dipped in hash oil.

Did you read the court transcripts ?.

So the UN drug Agency part okay or do you think they made it up to please me and Dr P ?.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Chi13. did you actually read hempies response? Apparently not.

Hempy clearly said hash oil laced thai sticks.

He is making the distinction that there were laced sticks around. It is a numbers game..How many tons of thai sticks in various forms made its way to the US.. 99.999% probably were not laced with anything making a wild guess..but maybe a batch was..arguing about it 40 years later is not going to get anywhere. Chances are most were not but chances are at least a batch somewhere was.

These days though, opium is in oversupply, and has been for the last 20 years, producers have stockpiled previous years harvests even to maintain prices, there is nowadays more poppy planted than I think there has ever been in history. These days the biggest source of illicit hashish powder and opium (in powder form as well as jelly form depending on how refined it is) and heroin are Afghanistan and all travel on the same trade routes. Our country sits smack on it and has been awash in smack for 20 years, we see far less Afghan hash unfortunately, I've not seen much of it since the gold seal ran out years back. So unfortunately these days times have changed and if thai sticks were around still some would probably get laced on route, but that is now and then was then.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Fair points. I did read in haste. I thought it odd that a point Hempy made actually did not support his position!

The other quote of Hempy's is interesting. Took me ages to find it as it is a tiny footnote at the bottom of page 96. Unfortunately it doesn't refer to any analysis.
It does talk about cannabis spiking but no mention of thai sticks being involved and presents no evidence, however it's certainly interesting. Nevertheless, it's the closest thing I've seen that supports opium added to cannabis.

In some parts of North America, for instance, the following combinations are found: 'Candy sticks: cannabis herb cigarettes laced with cocaine;
'Buddha': cannabis herb spiked with opium; 'Ace' or ' Zoom' : cannabis herb mixed with PCP, etc.; use of cannabis in food items (e.g. in North
Africa'); 'Marijuana brownies' (e.g. in North America); as well as frequent use of both cannabis and alcohol (often reported from Europe and Australia).

I guess you have to trust that the info is reliable, although it would be nice to know where that analysis came from?

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
No offense Donald but after the racist bull shit you posted and your constant trolling and insults harassment i have had from you in the forum along with the childish reputation messages i get from you i have chosen to just ignore you.

Have a great day.
well thats a convient way to avoid answering difficult questions isnt it??

what i said to you previously was not racist , just an observation , no need to pull a race card out , in any case im sure we are both of the same race ...

questioning you in threads i am part of is not trolling hempy, i am interacting and asking how are u going to prove the outlandish claims you make ,, if that is trolling , then we need to close forums altogether , or you need to leave and go somewhere where no one questions your opinion , because here thats going to happen man ..
also reporting me to the moderators section only makes u look like a tattle tale kinda guy ,
i have access to the area reported posts go too man ,
there is nothing wrong with disagreeing with you and asking you to prove what you say is true.... its quite acceptable on a forum ..

i note when u disagree you end up with a tone ,
and say things like "your full of it " etc ,
because your frustrated and dont have the language to debate with your opponents , or the folk that disagree with you..

maybe you need to leave this theory of yours in the past , as there is no proof of what you say and its simply based on hearsay , which proves nothing at all other than you would prefer word of mouth vs solid evidence to the contrary ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Chi13. did you actually read hempies response? Apparently not.

Hempy clearly said hash oil laced thai sticks.

He is making the distinction that there were laced sticks around. It is a numbers game..How many tons of thai sticks in various forms made its way to the US.. 99.999% probably were not laced with anything making a wild guess..but maybe a batch was..arguing about it 40 years later is not going to get anywhere. Chances are most were not but chances are at least a batch somewhere was.

These days though, opium is in oversupply, and has been for the last 20 years, producers have stockpiled previous years harvests even to maintain prices, there is nowadays more poppy planted than I think there has ever been in history. These days the biggest source of illicit hashish powder and opium (in powder form as well as jelly form depending on how refined it is) and heroin are Afghanistan and all travel on the same trade routes. Our country sits smack on it and has been awash in smack for 20 years, we see far less Afghan hash unfortunately, I've not seen much of it since the gold seal ran out years back. So unfortunately these days times have changed and if thai sticks were around still some would probably get laced on route, but that is now and then was then.
99.99 % would leave a small window of opportunity for folks to try this ,
you know hempy is not in the Usa, ??

for folks to be reporting such things from country to country ,
it doesnt sound too rare , it would mean a lot of sticks must have undertaken this lacing ,
there was no opium growing next to fields of thai sticks ,
this seems to be the point being missed , hempy has not addressed this and explained any way it could have been possible for this to occur ,
because it is beyond belief for folks that have intimate knowledge of thailand , the customs , where things were grown and by whom..

and only believable by outsiders with no first hand knowledge ...

djav59

Ya funny ain't it poppy production at an all time high in Afghanistan and none to be found here in US other than mostly synthetic from China and total hysteria over opioids .

Stocktont

Veteran
You have no clue or understanding of The old Thai genetics clearly if you did you know it wast a phino hunt for starters .

Your full of it Stocktont.

Wow you hurt my feelings so much when you criticize me like that (sarcastic front). I don't give much anything about what you say but you clearly can't read and understand what I wrote if you're claiming that I said there were no variation in south east asian types/varieties. You used the term “line” which is not at all the same to what I used and your inability to recognize this and process what I wrote went out the window when you wanted to just give something “back” at me. So what if you think I don't know anything, the discussion wasn't about that and I couldn't care what your assessment of me and my understanding is. If you can't figure out what I said it's really your problem but it's obviously so when you had to basically come back with “you suck” hahaha. You just make it funnier to me when you make a fool of yourself. Actually the more I think about it I just laugh... didn't want to talk about those three little seeds did you...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
a friend sent me this yesterday ,
both of the guys intervied contributed to the thai stick book ,
and they were there when the thai stick was in full swing ,
and i would consider them the closest thing we have to experts of that time ,
and with the old thai stick , and eye witnesses ,

the interesting stuff starts at around the 30 min mark ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOa20IYE5Nw

troutman

Seed Whore
^^^ This is why Thai Sticks are gone. They don't love us anymore. :biggrin:

picture.php

musigny23

a friend sent me this yesterday ,
both of the guys intervied contributed to the thai stick book ,
and they were there when the thai stick was in full swing ,
and i would consider them the closest thing we have to experts of that time ,
and with the old thai stick , and eye witnesses ,

the interesting stuff starts at around the 30 min mark ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOa20IYE5Nw

They confirm that opiated Thai Sticks did not happen. Weren't a thing. And they give some of the same reasons given earlier in this thread.

I would say that Mike seems off on dates a bit. He says top grade sticks were done by '77. But I was seeing great ones at least sometimes up to about '80. After that it became more pressed and the quality slipped and never really recovered.

romanoweed

one time this bookwriter told in the 70s in Thailand rather old men smoked some pot. Like if it was not really big thing to smoke, and overall people werent so eager to smoke pot. Just sometimes here and there.

He also brings up the discussion if Hmong Tribe smoked at all. He mentioned some say they did, and others say the opposite.. Many misterys about Thaiweed-culture.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
They confirm that opiated Thai Sticks did not happen. Weren't a thing. And they give some of the same reasons given earlier in this thread.

I would say that Mike seems off on dates a bit. He says top grade sticks were done by '77. But I was seeing great ones at least sometimes up to about '80. After that it became more pressed and the quality slipped and never really recovered.
yea i thought that re the dates , i saw good sticks in the early 80s also ,, followed by the golden not on a stick thai in the mid 80s ,
other t h an some stuff in the early 90s that seemed exactly the same as the laos they have in thailand now ,

we never got to see any thing compressed that was called thai ... even the stuff i am sure was laos , was just called compressed weed and couldnt hold a candle to the original sticks ...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe after the quality had dropped so low all of the crappy loads had black hash added to improve the quality. Who knows. Its def a fairy tale opium was added.

ngakpa

Veteran
one time this bookwriter told in the 70s in Thailand rather old men smoked some pot. Like if it was not really big thing to smoke, and overall people werent so eager to smoke pot. Just sometimes here and there.

He also brings up the discussion if Hmong Tribe smoked at all. He mentioned some say they did, and others say the opposite.. Many misterys about Thaiweed-culture.

it's still the case that in Thailand and Laos smoking ganja is seen as a thing that's traditionally mostly for old men from the countryside

that's exactly what Isan friends of mine said first time they found out I smoked

it's not only that, but the old farmer enjoying a bong after work is the main image associated with ganja in Thailand and Laos

by contrast, Hmong are highlanders from the north (China) and don't traditionally grow ganja

domesticates grown by the Hmong are hemp plants, as in China

if you find Hmong growing ganja, e.g. in Central Laos or northern Thailand, that's a modern thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts