What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

- Opiated Thai Sticks: Myth or Truth? -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
what year was that Dr ??

be interesting to compare the price "in country" compared to what the smuggler purchased it for onsite in thailand ...get an idea of the profit margin being made ...

the year i first saw thai sticks was right at the end of it sadly ,
probably 1980 -81 and the last we saw of the golden thai was 85 ,

i guess its important to note Australia is probably a lot closer to thailand then America ,

so less distance to smuggle may result in a lower price ...

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
what year was that Dr ??

be interesting to compare the price "in country" compared to what the smuggler purchased it for onsite in thailand ...get an idea of the profit margin being made ...

Probably 74 to 76, maybe some 73. Guys were coming back from the war then. I just missed it. I was sweating bullets

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Probably 74 to 76, maybe some 73. Guys were coming back from the war then. I just missed it. I was sweating bullets
thats some mark up then ,
they were getting easily 5 x more than it cost for a kilo for just one stick (2-3 grams id guess) , cheeky buggers ...

here are kilos that were bound for Hawaii , purhcased in Udonthani at $3 a kilo ...

picture.php

vinrusso

Hi all,

As the title says, I want to know if the stories about opiumnated Thai Sticks are true or not.

Please share the info you have.

Cheers.

:)
It would basically be impossible to "lace" thai sick with opium. I remember that was what people used to say when I was a teenager, but opium is not smoked directly on fire, it would not even light right, not to mention an opium high is the ultimate "couchlock", Opium would kill the energy head trip of the thai high.

vinrusso

It's the same arguments circulating around and around still missing the point of people questioning it. It's not to call anyone out or to insult but to get to know what it is you guys claim to know that we don't. How did they add anything close to opium to cannabis? Looking at the sticks how were they treated to get anything close to opium onto the sticks and how did they get it to mix in such a way that it was smokable and burnt well enough to give any kind of opium like effects? [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]How did it smell, taste, burn, look etc? Was it just the outer layer of the cannabis that had been treated as in dipped or how did they get it to mix with all of the weed on the sticks? How did they get it into pressed hash or did they press it with the hash or was it a layer around a piece of hash? Simple questions if you saw it and smoked it and know so many people that did. No one is saying people didn't smoke cannabis and opium but I think we (that don't really believe in the anecdotes) just want to know how this merger of cannabis and opium into one product was done. How was the experience smoking it? [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Telling me that the UN and DEA wouldn't lie or make shit up is just as believable as most of the “dipped in opium” stories. Weren't those very organizations involved in telling the world about the dangers with cannabis during most of the “war on drugs”? Didn't they make shit up about horrible side-effects of cannabis to make it and keep it illegal?[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]If you believe in the stories of “early water” let us all know just exactly what that early water was. It sounds more like people made that up not having a clue on how poppies are turned into heroin. Two of the by-products (from the first two steps) are extraction and filtering by-products and the potent parts were extracted and filtered out of the water that remained after the process. The last step which would leave a by-product with water is highly toxic and I would like to know if this is what they used, in that case I am glad I never smoked any of that shit. Not that it's potent in any opium way but it is potent in a poisonous way, again it being a refining process where the actual potent part of the opiate substance is transferred into the heroin not into the by-product. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Again I am just curious to learn what it is you guys say you know. I am not arguing about if it existed or not I want to know how it existed. Can you see the difference? If you can't tell then fine but then it will be very hard to convince others that it did, even if it did.[/FONT]
I've been smoking weed 45 years, bought many a thai stick and later became an opium& heroin addict. I used to hear the same thing in the late 70's early 80's about opiumated thai, but I can assure anyone that it would be impossible, time consumimg even if it was and needless. Opiuctm is smoked by heating the pipe, not direct flame.And it would totally ruin the high. They are two different animals.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It would basically be impossible to "lace" thai sick with opium. I remember that was what people used to say when I was a teenager, but opium is not smoked directly on fire, it would not even light right, not to mention an opium high is the ultimate "couchlock", Opium would kill the energy head trip of the thai high.

It will burn when converted to Opium water. There not talking about raw opium added to weed. Just boil raw opium, strain let it cool its ready to spray or dip on what ever you want.

Stocktont

Veteran
It will burn when converted to Opium water. There not talking about raw opium added to weed. Just boil raw opium, strain let it cool its ready to spray or dip on what ever you want.

Are you talking about boiling opium poppies or the opium base that has been extracted for smoking?

kickarse

Had some opium hash oil, in the early 80s

But it wasn't, it was just hash oil, it was very bloody good, some thought it had to be laced
with something, who Knows how it got to be opium ?

It was some voodoo chilli African shit, from what the gossip said ?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are you talking about boiling opium poppies or the opium base that has been extracted for smoking?

Boiling Poppies wouldn't give you opium. You have to have Raw Opium to start with. Only way to get it is by cutting the bulbs to let the sap drip out. There are a few ways of processing Opium into Heroin. Raw opium is difficult to smoke. Almost all is cooked and dried to make it easier to smoke. The water used from these process is what they spray or dip in. The less moisture it has the easier it is to smoke.

The raw opium which is collected from the opium poppy pod is placed in an open cooking pot of boiling water where the sticky glob of opium alkaloids quickly dissolve. The soil, twigs, plant scrapings, etc. remain undissolved. The solution is strained through cheesecloth to remove these impurities. The clear brown liquid, sometimes called "liquid opium," is actually opium in solution. This liquid is then re-heated over a low flame until the water turns to steam and is driven off into the air. When the water has evaporated. a thick paste re-mains. This paste is called "prepared opium," "cooked opium," or "smoking opium" and itis dried in the sun until it has a putty-like consistency.

Having said that Ive never changed my opinion on Thai sticks being dipped in Opium water. Ive never seen it.
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/Digitization/141189NCJRS.pdf

Last edited:

Cvh

Supermod
^It reads that all the water is boiled off during the process. None is leftover. Did they then dip during the boiling proces?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive never done it so I'm just guessing lol.. It has to be liquid opium for any dipping. I don't know if it matters if its hot or cold?. I don't know how much Opium Alkaloids would be available after dipping. The only way to disprove this would be to dip some weed let it dry and then test it and see how much is in it.

If there making Heroin that a different story. Liquid Heroin will def fuck you up.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I too have heard the stories, and many at that. Hash said to be laced with opium was called "Seife" in Germany in the 90s.

But here's something to consider: Whenever opiates are involved there are overdoses and deaths.
Are there any stories about poeple od'ing on Thai weed or strange deaths after smoking hash? It's probably not super potent coming from "opium water", but if you can feel the effect, someone at some point is likely to od on it...

I'm thinking prohibitionist propaganda would have made a big deal out of it, but I can't recall hearing anything about it?
Any thoughts?
CC

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's been brought up. If any had died from smoking weed weather it had Opium or not would have been blasted on every MSM all over the world. Opium was never a drug of choice when I grew up. Never saw it around. Ive never seen it in person. There was plenty of Heroin on the streets.

JetLife175

Veteran
From my understand the Thai sticks were dipped in the “wash” which I guess is a byproduct of manufacturing opium/heroin.

I’ve only heard this story from someone who was around when the sticks were going around and the person I heard it from was about two degrees from Thailand in the pipeline. With that said.... still take it for what you will.

Another fun fact, my old man recently was reminiscing and started talking about the “Thai loads that were “dipped” “...

JetLife175

Veteran

Saw this after my last post. Kinda give
Some sort of credence to what I’ve heard over the years from certain people.

JetLife175

Veteran
Even if it wasn’t around broadly and for a long time I almost guarantee there was a couple loads that were laced. There’s no way possible the myth would have ever perpetuated itself like it has.

There’s always a little truth in a good myth/story.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Even if it wasn’t around broadly and for a long time I almost guarantee there was a couple loads that were laced. There’s no way possible the myth would have ever perpetuated itself like it has.

There’s always a little truth in a good myth/story.
yea i think we covered that already in this thread ,
highly likely those two substances have been mixed at some point ,
humans tend to try everything ,
chances of tonnes being dipped in anything and exported,

(with the amount of reports from usa to australia , it would have to have been tonnes)

was quite unlikely though according to the majority for a range of reasons including cost , logistics etc etc ...

Stocktont

Veteran
Boiling Poppies wouldn't give you opium. You have to have Raw Opium to start with. Only way to get it is by cutting the bulbs to let the sap drip out. There are a few ways of processing Opium into Heroin. Raw opium is difficult to smoke. Almost all is cooked and dried to make it easier to smoke. The water used from these process is what they spray or dip in. The less moisture it has the easier it is to smoke.

The raw opium which is collected from the opium poppy pod is placed in an open cooking pot of boiling water where the sticky glob of opium alkaloids quickly dissolve. The soil, twigs, plant scrapings, etc. remain undissolved. The solution is strained through cheesecloth to remove these impurities. The clear brown liquid, sometimes called "liquid opium," is actually opium in solution. This liquid is then re-heated over a low flame until the water turns to steam and is driven off into the air. When the water has evaporated. a thick paste re-mains. This paste is called "prepared opium," "cooked opium," or "smoking opium" and itis dried in the sun until it has a putty-like consistency.

Having said that Ive never changed my opinion on Thai sticks being dipped in Opium water. Ive never seen it.
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/Digitization/141189NCJRS.pdf

When I wrote opium poppies I meant the sap or the raw opium from the seed pod of the poppy so I guess I just worded it different from the process described in your post. So technically boiling the sap from the poppy seed pod gives you the opium base or the “prepared/cooked/smoking” opium as per the quote you posted. Just curious what process. The water, before all the water has been boiled off to leave the opium base or the smoking opium would be the first step of this extraction process and contain all the opium from the added poppies. It's interesting as it differ from the “early water” theory which wouldn't make as much sense as there's no by-product in that process that would have any opium in it. This is also not a by-product but the actual extracted opium but before the water has been boiled to vapor off and leave the smoking opium.

Have you tried this and sprayed or dipped on anything organic like weed or hash to consume it? Again I am just curious. This way sounds more doable than smearing opium onto something trying to smoke it or using some sort of by-product which wouldn't contain any opium. Maybe this is what they called “early water” and someone along the lines mixed it up and thought it was a by-product of the heroin making process when it was this product of opium extraction.

If this was done or not remains a question but at least this would make it possible using the actual product which would contain opium. Another question would be if this method was used and then cannabis flowers were dipped or sprayed or otherwise laced with this product. Letting it then dry wouldn't it leave basically the same sort of opium that one would get form finishing the process off and getting the ready to smoke opium which doesn't burn at the same temps and in the same way as cannabis? I am not directing the question to you @Hammerhead just thinking out loud. I never tried this only tried to make opium tea from cooking poppies which works when you drink it.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Opiated afghan gold seal hash Im sure on though...we put some in ethanol and then little water in bottom of a glass and it lit up a 5strip piss test like it was straight off the poppy..Cleared up where the heroin positives were coming from on the work piss tests LOL boss was cool with hash, not smack! The guys stopped smoking the gold seal after that.

Stocktont

Veteran
Opiated afghan gold seal hash Im sure on though...we put some in ethanol and then little water in bottom of a glass and it lit up a 5strip piss test like it was straight off the poppy..Cleared up where the heroin positives were coming from on the work piss tests LOL boss was cool with hash, not smack! The guys stopped smoking the gold seal after that.

I smoked a lot of the black afghani gold sealed or gold stamped as we used to call it, never saw it being laced with anything. When was it you got it with opium? Was it laced like a coating of opium or was it bits inside the hash? That's a nice boss that is kind enough to discriminated favorably towards some drugs hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.