What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Operation Kill Shorty

bad gas

Hello johnnyrotten.

When I built my rubbermaid type PPK reservoir, I glued the top onto 1/4" plywood top which sat on top of the reservoir. That way, the top has better structural integrity. Also, the plastic top can act to channel water to the reservoir, rather than onto the floor.

If the sidewalls of the rubbermaid lack strength to support the top assy, the plywood piece can be made larger to incorporate legs for support or put the legs inside the reservoir.

I use horticultural barrier cloth secured with a hose clamp on the end of my tailpiece. When I load media into the tailpiece, it "pooches" the barrier cloth slightly below the level of the tailpiece, ensuring a reliable media/water interface.

I use this small stuff in the veg room. In flower, i use 18 gal bins for the media reservoir.

Sometimes, I make the lower reservoir out of 2x8 or 2x10 lumber lined with pond liner and a plywood top. This way, a reservoir can be any shape and size. Low profile, too.

I hope some of this is useful. Have a nice day. bg

BTW, nice plants.

D

Dr.RedWhite

Why is Shorty being such a high maintenance bitch? Seems she is an ongoing issue. Like my first wife in fact.

Actually, I think i found another problem... I found a thrip on her... Put up some no pest strips, gonna turn off 4 of the T-5 bulbs to keep the temps down and turn off the fan blowing on them...

Why is Shorty being such a high maintenance bitch? Seems she is an ongoing issue. Like my first wife in fact.

I totally agree, she wasn't a high maint bitch before... It's ok, I get rid of my high maint bitches... Kinda like the shirt, if you can read this, the bitch fell off...

Well, I can't kill this bitch shorty... These plants are getting enormous in veg... I've pruned and cut down the Romulan and Skunkman 4 and probably will again before putting them into flower...

However, I decided today that I'm going to build a 4x4 flower room instead of 4x6... I lost a foot on each side because the fan sucks the tent in up the 18" on the sides! I'm going to build a little taller and run 4 (possibly 6) plants in flower vertically...

what this also means is that since I just got an enormous harvest from the Romulan and the skunk is up next followed by shorty... These three are gonna yield so I'm gonna take clones of all three of these plants, kill them and start them over using a replica of Delta9's cloner! Then I'm going to transplant the Super Sour OG and Casey Jones into the ppks, veg for two weeks and then put them into the new flower room...then I'll start a couple more seeds... I like variety...

W

willyweed

i have been told, when you take the clones ,make sure you get double headers ,they take slightly less time and go well.all the best

Oh, I understand what you mean...I'll use any that I find... I'm going for a dual branch so I can grow them up against the wall....

SHORTY IS DEAD!!!

...well, not totally...I'm taking a lot of clones and I've troubleshot my cloning skils and I'm pretty sure I can get 100% success this time...

What that means is that Operation Kill Shorty is over... I proved that it is extremely easy to grow in a ppk with almost no maintenance and that even a novice like myself could put it together with minimal effort and very little cost... I look at it like a coco RDWC... Jacks is now the only nutes I will use... I only had one deficiency with shorty but it was fixed within one day and all I did was lower the ppms of the mix a little bit... 600ppm is too much for my plants in veg... they really liked 450ppm and they grew into MONSTER bushes, Shorty vegged for 7 weeks ,was topped and is pretty damn big...however, I will not top her again...it seemed to have slowed her growth and made her super wide... The Romulan & Sam #4 vegged for 5 weeks and were twice the size of the plants they were cloned from... hell, they were bigger after two weeks in a ppk from clone than the seed plants were after 5 weeks of veg...they just got downright enormous, too big...if there is such a thing...

So, there it is...Shorty's dead... and ppk's for the win! My god they can grow big plants... The only change I'm going to make is to use perlite in the mix, I like the way the pots drain faster when using the top feed...

The trunk on the Romulan was so damn thick I'd need a hacksaw to cut her down... The roots looked great on all plants and they didn't go down the tailpiece....

Latest posts

Latest posts