What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Operation Kill Shorty

And my water pressure is too low, this causes the RO water to not be very pure... Not sure what to do about this... Use a aquarium pump to push water into the filter?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
yeah, i meant one pulse of about a quart once per hour. it will let the medium drain completely.

what readings are you getting from the filter?

It's coming out almost as bad as it goes in... Water pressure is too low in the house, out in the country... They are making some changes locally to improve it though but that will be at least a year... Still waiting on the water test...

Yeah, I spilt the quart up into 6 feeding an hour... Thought that might be better... I'll see how it looks tonight...

bloyd

Veteran
If your pressure is too low from the faucet you will likely need a booster pump to bring the filter up to proper operating pressure. Plants are looking good in the rubbermaids!!

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
Booster pumps will get you going.

Low flow rates and high EC through RO can also be an indicator of a failing filter. The dirtier your supply side, the quicker you fail.

Shitty, but true.

Little systems need to have filters changed out often.

If you get a booster, you adjust your system pressure with a worm screw. You get your inlet pressure dialed, and as your filters clog, this inlet pressure creeps and is another indicator of filter failure.

Booster pumps will get you going.

Low flow rates and high EC through RO can also be an indicator of a failing filter. The dirtier your supply side, the quicker you fail.

Shitty, but true.

Little systems need to have filters changed out often.

If you get a booster, you adjust your system pressure with a worm screw. You get your inlet pressure dialed, and as your filters clog, this inlet pressure creeps and is another indicator of filter failure.

I guess I'll have to get a booster pump... I hope it didn't go bad after 15 gallons...either way, it'll be awhile before I get a pump...

I was so excited to use it that I ordered Jacks and Cal-nit before checking the water...

My water test will hopefully be in this week and I can get everything dialed in... The plants are looking good regardless though...

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
The RO filter shouldn't be allowing crap through, regardless of the pressure. The booster pump can really increase efficiency and productivity, but the RO filter itself should be... well, filtering.

Time to troubleshoot?

Does your place have a 'whole house' filter on the supply side of the RO that needs to be changed out?

Are your prefilters already clogged?

Are your meters calibrated? Or are you getting a false shitty-supply reading on the downstream side of you RO?

Are you somehow returning your waste water to your collection reservoir?

Don't mean to be rude in these questions--I already lost this post in a failure to post event and am less careful with my words then when I started the original--just trying to help.

Per usual in this industry, most of our favorite 'hobby-brands' simply re-sticker other companies products, and add a nice little charge for their troubles. If you match the suggested pump for your system, and look at the online pictures, there's a good chance you'll find the part number--or even a manufacture's actual brand on the photo. This investigative work might earn you some significant savings.

The RO filter shouldn't be allowing crap through, regardless of the pressure. The booster pump can really increase efficiency and productivity, but the RO filter itself should be... well, filtering.

Time to troubleshoot?

Does your place have a 'whole house' filter on the supply side of the RO that needs to be changed out?

Are your prefilters already clogged?

Are your meters calibrated? Or are you getting a false shitty-supply reading on the downstream side of you RO?

Are you somehow returning your waste water to your collection reservoir?

Don't mean to be rude in these questions--I already lost this post in a failure to post event and am less careful with my words then when I started the original--just trying to help.

Per usual in this industry, most of our favorite 'hobby-brands' simply re-sticker other companies products, and add a nice little charge for their troubles. If you match the suggested pump for your system, and look at the online pictures, there's a good chance you'll find the part number--or even a manufacture's actual brand on the photo. This investigative work might earn you some significant savings.

No problem imaginaryfriend...
I don't have an in-house pre filter and I didn't calibrate my meter before using it...it was a new replacement that I haven't checked yet... I will do that...

Waste water is being disposed of properly... And I've checked it's levels as well...

I'm gonna bring the RO unit to a house that I know has plenty of pressure and test it before ordering a bunch of stuff...

Thansk for the help!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
your plants are looking good in general. it looks like you may be experiencing the cation exchange nutrient tie up that occurs in coco sometimes.

do not add epsom or anything else.

as soon as you get your jacks give them a heavy pour through with jacks at about 1000 ppm at least. use a lot of liquid. then after draining put them on 600 ppm.

also, can you separate them any more?

I got my jacks yesterday... I'm gonna do some testing with the ro filter, calibrate my meter and then start using jacks... I won't add anything else...and yes I can separate them more...

I got the ro system fixed...

First, I took the membrane out and reinstalled it... Last time I just put it in and screwed the end back on... This time I pushed it in until I felt it pop into place, then I put the end cap on...

I let the water run for 15 minutes and took a sample, calibrated my ppm and ph meters... Set the ppm to the 500 scale and the water is 0ppm and 7.0 PH...

forkup

Haha I had to apply the same "fix" to my RO filter my first run with it :) The plants look good, as d9 says looks like what I've seen in the past myself with the cation exchange in coco early on. Did the 2 seedlings get burned?

Haha I had to apply the same "fix" to my RO filter my first run with it :) The plants look good, as d9 says looks like what I've seen in the past myself with the cation exchange in coco early on. Did the 2 seedlings get burned?

I don't think they got nute burned... They started to get yellow with plain water so I gave them a really low dose of nutes...

I did have them closer too the light, don't think it bleached them...