What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Open Discussion: What sort of stickies do you want to see?

HughMungus

I'm new to organics, and from my perspective what really got the ball rolling for me was beginning to understand soil microbiology. I know it's hard for most of you to believe, but the vast majority of people growing marijuana are ignorant to the world beneath our feet. Once I wrapped my head around the concept of feeding the critters in the soil, and those critters in turn nurturing the plant, I couldn't stop the ball from rolling. I find myself thinking about this 24/7 (much to the dismay of the old lady). Maybe a sticky that breaks all of this down in plain English would be helpful?? I also found FunTimesIndeed's thread on soil 101 very helpful the way the mixes were explained, and options given.

This forum is fantastic, and I have found the contributors to be extremely helpful and welcoming! Thanks to all.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
FTI's soil mixing thread would be the one to develop a soil mixing sticky from

his approach; food/fix it/mineral is one of the most simplified ways of looking @ it & we should make sure and get coot's original mix in there along w/ his 'secret' new one

nutrient-cycling should either have a sticky or be comprehensively considered in the compost sticky

For the record, it's not my approach, it's CCs. I just found it to be an easy beginning point and wanted to share it again so that people can make their own.

420MAN78

FTI's soil mixing thread would be the one to develop a soil mixing sticky from

his approach; food/fix it/mineral is one of the most simplified ways of looking @ it & we should make sure and get coot's original mix in there along w/ his 'secret' new one

nutrient-cycling should either have a sticky or be comprehensively considered in the compost sticky

Coot's has a new secret one? Is it going to stay a secret lol?

He's been MIA, but he was never one for secret proprietary blends. Emulating his recipe exactly would only be a good idea if you guys were neighbors anyways. Regional substitutions man... you may have something amazing in your own backyard. As an example, peuraria lobata fans tend to live South of the mason-dixie. Anywhere else and it won't be available. Nobody packages it either.

I'm going to have to go talk with a buddy of mine in advertising about this kudzu f.p.e.....I mean crazy new plant based bloom booster. It's veganic!

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For the record, it's not my approach, it's CCs. I just found it to be an easy beginning point and wanted to share it again so that people can make their own.

i m just say'n~

its on point and condensed w/ our latest methods as opposed to some of the long drawn out threads w/ off topic discussion and less preferable methods

and i mean ~to draw from~ not closed as the sticky itself

lol~ 'secret recipe'

he is the sharing type but he didnt share it on the open forum which leads me to wonder cause i would almost just put it out there {just so he gets credit} but i did get a 'not helpful' on that post so maybe somebody doesnt want it out?

lmao~ 'dont panic ~its veganic!'

M

MrSterling

For the record I definitely still use blood and bone meal in my amending. Blood in much smaller amounts but bone meal is readily available to me. Dolomite also has its place, perhaps just not in indoor containers.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
List of 'Sources'

List of 'Sources'

I'm having little to no luck finding sources for aloe, kelp, rock dusts, etc....

A list of sources where one can/could, mail order this stuff in as needed, would be great. I can find plenty of 'Bottles' for $20, and up with water being the primary ingredient. lol Hate paying postage on water.

Also maybe; with comments concerning what Brands, better than others.... i.e. prepared properly. Went to groc. store. They had 3 brands of aloe 'juice', to choose from, all expensive.... Is the aloe that Walmart sells "the right stuff"?.....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10314798?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

I've got a long way to go, so any help is greatly appreciated. :thank you:

What I really need at the moment is the contact info on the powdered aloe!

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ingredientstodiefor {dot} com is the source for 200x aloe extract & i m using/endorse it

sooner or later i will likely order the ahimsa neem and some kelp meal from kisorganics {dot} ~unless i find those quality ingredients local {which would only be to avoid shipping costs}

rock dust should be sourced locally basalt seems to be the dust of preference w/ glacial mix being of similar preference

i hate buying anything from walmart but havent convinced my family of that yet

nurseries can have a selection of quality ingredients ~though many just offer plants and cutesy crap to make arrangements {a true nursery which raises its stock ~the part frequently unseen in the boutique nursery~ may be able to help you w/ quality worm castings & try craigslist for those as well}

a feed store will be a good resource for oyster shell as can seed stores {in our area they are seed & pet stores} and these places can have quality compost or EWC but black gold and whitney farm type stuff is typically to be avoided

For the record I definitely still use blood and bone meal in my amending. Blood in much smaller amounts but bone meal is readily available to me. Dolomite also has its place, perhaps just not in indoor containers.

WHAT!!!!!

yeah actually/no doubt ~ blood is something to be extra judicious w/ since it has so much N and is so soluble ~ seems it could be a real nice source for composting

i think the thing w/ bone meal is the 'supporting the slaughter industry' issue ~after i hug my bunnies and trees and what nots; i feel kinda icky buying something from the evil cattle murderers {though i have used it to effect as well} so; i guess its OK to support fish slaughter instead? ever wonder if ancient israel sacrificing cattle wasnt actually an agricultural benefit? how does combustion affect elemental Ca? lol ~next thing you know; the neophytes will be burning a cow on their next grow site

:bow::hotbounce:

i have that 3 part mix oyster/dolo/gypsum and am pretty happy w/ it ~sorted my coco right out

my impression is that the dolo thing speaks to best practice in preference over good practice & really; in the recycled paradigm it does make sense because it releases over the long haul as greensand does

something about crab/gypsum just sounds like you know; "ultimate"

Last edited:

John Deere

Veteran
Also maybe; with comments concerning what Brands, better than others.... i.e. prepared properly. Went to groc. store. They had 3 brands of aloe 'juice', to choose from, all expensive.... Is the aloe that Walmart sells "the right stuff"?.....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10314798?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

No, don't buy the walmart stuff. It uses sodium benzoate as the preservative. Look for something with citric or ascorbic acid instead. Lily of the Desert is a popular brand but there are lots of others.

Here's the link for the dry aloe, as xmotobox mentioned. I've seen it linked here several times so I assume it's ok to link again.

http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item.php?item_id=111

ickyweed

I'm having little to no luck finding sources for aloe, kelp, rock dusts, etc....

A list of sources where one can/could, mail order this stuff in as needed, would be great. I can find plenty of 'Bottles' for $20, and up with water being the primary ingredient. lol Hate paying postage on water.

I live in the mile high region and some stuff was hard to find localy and still was shipped at some point (ie. Crab shel/oyster shell/kelp) but l found places to get it. Maybe a sticky that has different local products by reagon. As being new to the rols I think the link-o-rama style sticky would be best

D

dogfishheadie

just wanted to find out the sites policy on links to vendors and such before i'd throw it together. know there have been issues in the past, not trying to cross lines yo.

intotheunknown

Veteran
Agreed. infirmary/ integrated pest management + Beneficial, etc, etc. one stop location.

I also agree with the amendment sources idea. It would be highly beneficial to a lot of us, I believe. Some things are simply tough to find locally. And the chance of it being a quality product is even slimmer.

G

greenmatter

you can get aloe at Vitamin Cottage

Way to Grow usually has Down to Earth products on the shelf, i always find kelp there in 6 lb. boxes, but rock dusts are kind of hit and miss. this time of year the green houses are a good place to look for amendments ..... i picked up a 50 pound bag of gypsum at O'tooles for $14. i've scored some hard to find things at Dardano's over the years, hit and miss there too but the prices are O.K.

milehighguy found kelp in 50lb. bags at the co-op ..... pretty sure they were around $85, but you have to ask him