What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Open Discussion: What sort of stickies do you want to see?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
what about the 'organic recycled soil' subforum? i think that should be amalgamated with the main forum. it was only really started to get some peeps out of the way when a long and bitter row started up over different types of organic growing - and recycled soil is now a main paradigm of the forum anyway.

on another note i think it is important not to try and ram the whole ROLS thing down everybodys throat. we have to recognize that this is a forum for all organics and if someone posts a question about something like earthjuice they dont necessarily need a whole bunch of people not answering their question but telling them to go ROLS instead. i think that is counter-productive.
the best way to get people to grow the right way is to show them how you do it and how well it works - pics of happy plants speak a lot of words...

rather than trying to make them grow ROLS, make them WANT to grow ROLS.

VG

Granger2

Veteran
Yeah, ain't it amazing what we humans can find to fight about? Organicker than thou. Verdant Green hit the mite square on the head. -granger

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
this forum is overrun by johnny come latelys that are all falling over themselves trying to be an authority on something they just learned about six months ago. great to see people getting into it but man your shit still stinks even if you grow organically. this forum has tons of great info and most of it was here before 2013 believe it or not. most of it has been stickied. why it isnt anymore, who knows.

its like new management at a company. start changing stuff just to say they changed it. not cuz its actually better.

I used to drive a 1966 GTO with a mullet....Levi jacket and bell bottom jeans....at one point even the freaking headband. Times changed,and I evolved with the rest of the world.

Just like this forum.

bigshrimp

Veteran
I think alot of the people that come here with some understanding already.

Low post count doesn't mean you were just born. Its just the internet lols

John Deere

Veteran
Would like to see a sticky on some of what to avoid while on your organic quest....

Nothing Fringe Science or anything borderline, just proven misconceptions that people need to drop before fully appreciating organics.

PH
Flushing
Superthrive
Bottled Nutrients Organic or Not
Bagged Soil Mixes (Save money making better on your own)
Pro-Mix Bails (Buy Sphagnum bails instead... )
Liquid Kelp
Veganics
Etc...

Yes! Stoner-science mythbusters!

Greenheart

Veteran
what about the 'organic recycled soil' subforum? i think that should be amalgamated with the main forum...rather than trying to make them grow ROLS, make them WANT to grow ROLS.

VG
I agree except I think ROLS should be the subforum of OS with ORS merged to OS.

M

MrSterling

Verdant I'd like to see the recycled subforum mixed with the regular organics as well. ROLS is definitely the new standard but I don't want those people not on board left on the dock. My concern with bottled stuff is the fact that they're paying through the teeth often for the same products we're advocating. If there was an honest organic bottled nute market I'd feel more positive on people doing it, but much of it is hydro-store myths perpetuated to sell stuff.

al-k-mist

can anyone make a list of threads that NEED to bee created, since FunTimesIndeed said that many suggested threads dont exist

I am slammed for time, but could take an hour or so, this week or next, to research and write on a topic, or on one i already know SOMETHIn about

not everyone grows or works...some people have TONS of spare time...

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey MrS i know what you are saying about all the products etc but perhaps hard for me to relate totally as we dont have that hydro store culture here. we do have hydro stores i guess - but i have never been in one. there are such a thing as reasonably priced simple bottled nutes (biobizz is about $10 a bottle and is pretty much liquid seaweed and molasses mixed together)
i can certainly sympathize with people who dont have the time or space to make various teas and potions because that is often where i am at - which is why i go the fully amended soil route.

we are lucky to have so many people with such great enthusiasm and so willing to help others, i certainly wouldnt want to criticize that - i just wanted to point out that sometimes they may be a little over zealous in spreading the word ;)

I agree except I think ROLS should be the subforum of OS with ORS merged to OS.

i think we should all be in the same forum. making the ROLS or anything else an extra click away tends to marginalize it imo and people who are using other disciplines are less likely to be exposed to it and therefore less likely to adopt it.

VG

B

bajangreen

The problem with organising information on organics is, well, its organics and is a holistic approach to growing.

I think one needs to go true the rols tread and compress the information contained there then put them in some closed stickies on top and leave ALL the organic members in one fourm, remove all the sub fourms, and keep one sticky open on the topic of the stickies.

M

MrSterling

As you can see we have a very complicated situation here. I'll be giving it much thought this weekend while toking with the other mods and admins. We will find a happy medium. VG I follow 100%; wish you could see the rip off that is the American hydro store though.

B

bajangreen

You also NEED to address that grey area of crossing over to organics/giving up the bottle. Its critical if you want to encourage the most converts, there has to be a place where you can use organic/chemical hybrid type methodology.

Out door organic,

A hall of fame of contributors would be nice too, and a place to talk organic stuff not exactly relating to growing. All in all i wish the organic section to be different and welcoming to all.

O

Old_Headbanger

VG said it, the recycled subforum gets WAY less traffic than the regular forum. Not sure if a subforum is a good idea here.

I feel like the Organics for Beginners thread is full of outdated material.

Bone/Blood/Dolomite lime?

Must be goddamn confusing to a new grower when 90% of us don't advocate any of these amendments. But yet there it is, next thing ya know they are adding back dolomite lime to a recycled mix...a few cycles later and alot of head scratching later and they may just go back to hydro. Compost is highly advocated here, but very seldom does it come w/ warnings....like let your worms run through it first or make goddamn sure (thru testing) that it is ready.

The 'lime' deal got me back in the day and was the reason why I (temporarily) gave up on recycling my soil. The compost deal got me last summer when I was mimicking Coot's mix for the first time.

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
We have evolved here. I still have that 3-way lime mix of Coot's design in the original soil mix on page #1 of the original ROLS thread simply because it works and is a smooth transition away from using dolomite for the frightened.

We all have evolved here,even Coot.

He doesn't push that lime mix any more and nor do I.

Calcium carbonate works..(oyster shell powder,etc.).....period...yet the calcium sulfate that is agricultural gypsum is still a fine component in soil mixes.

Dolomite works yes,but it is definitely meant more for long term soil applications....and also meant more for large agricultural applications where the native topsoils are acid...not really indoor potted cannabis cycles ya know.

So here some are,safely using soil mixes and producing excellent quality cannabis w/out using dolomite. Whoda thunk it....

I agree that cutting the to the heart of the dolomite matter is needed...and needs to be simply explained so all stoners across the lands can understand it while partaking in the fruits of their labors.

Last edited: