What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oneshot Hempy Grow #2 - Peyote Purple & TGA Qush - 330W LED

oneshot

Explosive growth just in the past 2 days. I undid their LST binds to let them spread their wings a little more now that they are nice and bushy.

These genetics are alright :tiphat:

vukman

Veteran
Explosive growth just in the past 2 days. I undid their LST binds to let them spread their wings a little more now that they are nice and bushy.

Yup, that's what I did with mine also my friend... my LST technique is sorrowfully lacking in......well..........technique so I figured I'll just let them go naturally and tie down branches as needed instead of training the whole thing.......this time anyway..

Always learning and saving knowledge for the next grow which is always around the corner..:)

Good Luck

oneshot

The ladies wanted to go topless for awhile. I wasn't one to stop them. I took two tops off the already topped plants on most. Some other sites I topped too. I think I ended up with 9-10 tops taken.

Ordered my flowering nutrients last night. I went with:

Advanced Nutrients Bud Ignitor
Advanced Nutrients Nirvana
Advanced Nutrients Bud Candy
Advanced Nutrients Big Bud Liquid

Going to put them into flower on Nov 19th I think. That will be 8 weeks of veg. We will see what the growth is like in the next few weeks.

Some pics from tonight after their feeding and topping.

:dance013:

oneshot

Took some pics today of the plants under a 125w cfl instead of LED. People have been asking to see the plants under normal lights. They are a little droopy. They are getting fed tonight.

Keep goin

Hey oneshot...

So you have 10 plants in 5 gal buckets...that looks like a pretty good spread from your ES330. How high above the canopy do you have the lamp to get that kind of coverage?

What is the outer dimension of the canopy...if you don't mind?

I have an ES330 and have been pretty disappointed in the spread...but after seeing your grow, I wonder if I just didn't "trust" in the light enough. I enjoyed the results directly under the lamp but keeping the light at about 12 to 14" from canopy I found the "effective" coverage to be pretty small. ie: 1.5'x2'

You look like you're getting much better coverage than that!??

Thanks

oneshot

Hey oneshot...

So you have 10 plants in 5 gal buckets...that looks like a pretty good spread from your ES330. How high above the canopy do you have the lamp to get that kind of coverage?

What is the outer dimension of the canopy...if you don't mind?

I have an ES330 and have been pretty disappointed in the spread...but after seeing your grow, I wonder if I just didn't "trust" in the light enough. I enjoyed the results directly under the lamp but keeping the light at about 12 to 14" from canopy I found the "effective" coverage to be pretty small. ie: 1.5'x2'

You look like you're getting much better coverage than that!??

Thanks

I have 10 plants in 1 gallon pots, not 5 gallons. The tent is 3x3x6. I raised the light some but the plants seem to be loving it. I actually ordered 2 25x3w eShine lights to hang on the side but I don't think I am going to end up needing them. I was doubting the footprint too but it seems to be good at the height.

I'm not sure the exact height but it's higher than I would normally keep an LED. The 5W LED's seem to really help.

vukman

Veteran
Looking good oneshot....looking real nice indeed....I think the issue of trust is a big one when it comes to LEDs. We've been so used to all the BS and other negative crap that as soon as things are even a little off, we have doubts.

I still go through it with my grow as well. Drfever said it good when he said that we as the ones watching our grows on a daily basis do not see the changes in front of our eyes but posting pictures for others to see really brings home the issue that things are going well....

One day all of our fussing and doubting will pay off when LED's become the norm instead of the exception.....:)

oneshot

I can always see the size change in my plants just from the last time I opened the tent. I just wish I only had 5-6 plants so I can put them in 5 or 7 gallon containers :(

Keep goin

Yeah...wow Oneshot...

Looking good, so you would say you are quite a bit higher than the 12 to 14" I was working with?

Vukman...The trust idea came to me when I see people covering larger areas...but my "distrust" was based on a number of factors.

ie: Use of a light meter...not a high quality one, but still, I was able to see where the light dropped off.
Then use of the cheapest light meter we all own...our eyes, and hands. When I look at the intensity of the light... if I go any higher than 14" away it almost looks like the LED is not even shining on me.

The trust thing is also one of the reasons I ponied up the coin for the Lumigrow...I figured, less BS, a real horticulture light..not just some company trying to rip off growers of weed who they see as easy marks.

Now a bit of disclosure...I don't have my LED alone in a tent like Oneshot here. I have two 3x3 trays right next to each other. Got the LED to get through the summer w/o AC. Instead of 2 600w HPS I ran one with an adjust-a-wing...which gives me an effective coverage of 5'x3'...figured I would take up the rest with the LED.

I think it might have thrown off my view of the LED though...

Oneshot seems to be getting results in a larger area than I was trying to 2'x3' (in fact pretty close to covering one of my trays completely, I end up with a 40"x40" canopy)...I was very pleased with the ES330 performance under the unit, just not psyched with the coverage.

But after seeing this I feel like I just need to raise the light, and not try to visually qualify it so much!!??

Thanks

oneshot

Yeah...wow Oneshot...

Looking good, so you would say you are quite a bit higher than the 12 to 14" I was working with?

Vukman...The trust idea came to me when I see people covering larger areas...but my "distrust" was based on a number of factors.

ie: Use of a light meter...not a high quality one, but still, I was able to see where the light dropped off.
Then use of the cheapest light meter we all own...our eyes, and hands. When I look at the intensity of the light... if I go any higher than 14" away it almost looks like the LED is not even shining on me.

The trust thing is also one of the reasons I ponied up the coin for the Lumigrow...I figured, less BS, a real horticulture light..not just some company trying to rip off growers of weed who they see as easy marks.

Now a bit of disclosure...I don't have my LED alone in a tent like Oneshot here. I have two 3x3 trays right next to each other. Got the LED to get through the summer w/o AC. Instead of 2 600w HPS I ran one with an adjust-a-wing...which gives me an effective coverage of 5'x3'...figured I would take up the rest with the LED.

I think it might have thrown off my view of the LED though...

Oneshot seems to be getting results in a larger area than I was trying to 2'x3' (in fact pretty close to covering one of my trays completely, I end up with a 40"x40" canopy)...I was very pleased with the ES330 performance under the unit, just not psyched with the coverage.

But after seeing this I feel like I just need to raise the light, and not try to visually qualify it so much!!??

Thanks

I will take measurements today for you to see exactly where my light sits. Is it possible for you to post pictures of your setup with exact heights as well? After reading it sounds like you have an HPS & a LED in a tent? If that is true, the HPS might be blinding out some of the LED light?

Would love to be able to work with you to get this situated. I will need pics though

Keep goin

Hey,

Yeah I have a 2 tray set up with 600w HPS next to each other. Not in a tent but an insulated "closet". They are up against the wall (the trays) and I have a small walking isle to access everything. (sorry don't have pictures)

As I said for the summer I dialed back my one HPS and added the Lumigrow to take over the other tray. Wanted to keep cool for the hot months.

Back to fall growin now...so the LED is now simply a "sideshow" light. I have it over an 18 gal rubbermaid bin with 2 plants in it recirculating hydro set up. It's also kinda shining on the 3x 5 gal buckets (DWC) that are on the edge of my 600w HPS tray, they are definitely getting light from both sources. But those 3 would grow without the LED there.

I was under the impression that the "inverse square law" or whatever it's called...(I don't claim to be super knowledgeable) was still in effect with LEDs. The law states: the further from the light source you get the exponentially dimmer the light gets. That's why I was trying to stay about a foot away. (that's what the manufacturer recommends if it's a sole source I believe) At a foot away it seems to comfortably cover the 18 gal bin but wouldn't really cover much more.

I might have to set up another "tent" area to test out the actual coverage without having to "count" on the results. You are inspiring me...

the HPS might be blinding out some of the LED light?
Do you mean "visually" because it shouldn't matter to the plants, right? I just think you are up a couple of feet over the plants...that's what it looks like anyway. I'm just shocked at the fantastic growth that that is offering you. Goes against everything I know about light diffusion. But your grow looks awesome. As I said before inspiring!

Sorry about the no pics...I just got up the balls to start writing online. Draconian laws suck!!

Last edited:

oneshot

Hey,

Yeah I have a 2 tray set up with 600w HPS next to each other. Not in a tent but an insulated "closet". They are up against the wall (the trays) and I have a small walking isle to access everything. (sorry don't have pictures)

As I said for the summer I dialed back my one HPS and added the Lumigrow to take over the other tray. Wanted to keep cool for the hot months.

Back to fall growin now...so the LED is now simply a "sideshow" light. I have it over an 18 gal rubbermaid bin with 2 plants in it recirculating hydro set up. It's also kinda shining on the 3x 5 gal buckets (DWC) that are on the edge of my 600w HPS tray, they are definitely getting light from both sources. But those 3 would grow without the LED there.

I was under the impression that the "inverse square law" or whatever it's called...(I don't claim to be super knowledgeable) was still in effect with LEDs. The law states: the further from the light source you get the exponentially dimmer the light gets. That's why I was trying to stay about a foot away. (that's what the manufacturer recommends if it's a sole source I believe) At a foot away it seems to comfortably cover the 18 gal bin but wouldn't really cover much more.

I might have to set up another "tent" area to test out the actual coverage without having to "count" on the results. You are inspiring me...

Do you mean "visually" because it shouldn't matter to the plants, right? I just think you are up a couple of feet over the plants...that's what it looks like anyway. I'm just shocked at the fantastic growth that that is offering you. Goes against everything I know about light diffusion. But your grow looks awesome. As I said before inspiring!

Sorry about the no pics...I just got up the balls to start writing online. Draconian laws suck!!

Yes, I meant visually to your eye. To the plants, PAR light is light :)

What I was mainly getting at is Lumigrow uses 5W LED's in the ES330. I think because they use these 5W LEDs at full power, the light can be higher than most normal 3W fixtures with weird reflectors. This is just me making an educated guess really. I do notice fall off from the LED but it not anywhere near as drastic as the eShine I had at the same height. I cannot find the recommended height of the Lumigrow but check this video. They are measuring the LED @ 32". The Asian dude is a Lumigrow rep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZyjVzBNlEKQ#t=1134s (the whole video is an awesome awesome look at the ES. One of the videos that sold me)

They do a good test between the Lumigrow and a Lumatek bulb.

12" away is too close for this light. Give that baby some room :)

Also, if you post pictures to ICMag, it is secure. It removes all EXIF data. I 1000000000000% understand stupid laws :(

I am also getting the reflection from the tent insides as well.

Keep goin

Hey oneshot,

Thanks for getting back. I actually already saw that video...one of the reasons I bought also. The bit about the heat management is impressive.

15.5" isn't THAT much different than the 12-14" I've been trying. I think it is just a matter of running it and not having to "count" on it. I think it's time for adding a 3x3 like you've got and just go for extra space...extra weed. Never have too much ya know!

My other concept is to fill in the "corners" with smaller units...something like the California Lightworks 100w unit...all 5w chips looks like a good fit. 85w of actual draw. Put 4 out in the corners, ES unit in the center...BAMM As someone else has a sig line on here "overkill is underrated!" I think with a set up like that I could comfortably shut down my HPS. Otherwise, I will just add a new space and run the ES alone.

In terms of pictures...I just don't take any! I try not to save things that could cause more problems if bad things were to happen. Paranoid...freak...who knows if it even matters.

Thanks again, as I said you're inspiring me with this grow. Keep up the good work.

Good Luck

vukman

Veteran
damn brother...looks like they got given some big time growth hormone there!!!!!!! They've gone done and blown up on ya!!!!!!!!! :yes:!!!!!!!!!!!

excellent progress they've made in the past little while. If you can keep them growing at the pace they're on now, you're gonna have some nice fat plants on your hands very soon!!