What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

On the cops' radar!!!!

They make mistakes. Senator Edward Kennedy had trouble getting himself of the TSA No Fly list. Ted Fucking Kennedy, and I suspect he had a little more juice than you do.
Looks like maybe you should lead an extra clean life for a while. Yeah, I know this bites, but what's the alternative ?

F

feral

I would get an attorney and see what the deal is.
ALWAYS record everything, rather video, audio or even if you have to write everything down.....date,time, location, officers name/badge #, patrol car number,, what was said, done, etc.
In my neck of the woods we have plenty of gangs and whenever they are stopped rather driving or walking, the officer always calls in one of the gang unit officers to question, identify, etc. the gang member. ALWAYS.
Other thing to remember you can video tape if you want and let them know you are but with the wrong cop but you could find yourself with some bogus charges (planted gun, drugs, resisting arrest, etc.) and a video camera that disappears before your ever taken into the station. ( I grew up in PG County, Md. and this was an everyday thing)
Last thing posts 19 and 20 hit everything on the head. Theres an old song that used to go "Ain't no future in frontin". If you don't want to get into it with the man for whatever reason take a good hard look at how you dress, act, talk, etc. and see if you need to make changes, if so, do it.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
This is great advice (maybe not playing dumb) and almost certainly the deal. Record everything, doors locked, keys on floor, window down 1 inch. Don't give your name, don't sign anything. Just take your time in jail for failing to provide identification.

Fixed your post.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
thats why it pays to look as square as possible. do you fit "gang" stereotypes, if you got lots of tattoos, driving a tinted car with rims, etc expect to be flagged down!

keep it real peckerwoodish. i drive a soccer mom suv in a hood filled with guys driving candy paint and other flashy shit. the sherriffs waste all their time on the hotboys while i just glide by...

A

Amstel Light

Act/Dress nondescriptly. For instance, you can be an ex-gang member, reformed, yadda yadda yadda, but if you're tatted up everywhere and still dress the part, what are people going to think? Appearances matter, unfortunately. And everyone and their brother loves to profile, especially cops. Profiling includes profiling cars too.

It's .

dude says he abides by dress code....

i would talk to an attorney about a possible defamation of character suit....could counter act a future charge...

NiteTiger

Veteran
Being pulled over is not defamation of character. There has to be actual damage to the plaintiff's reputation, and the statement must be malicious. Being pulled over is not a statement, does not cause actual damage or harm to the person's reputation, nor is it inherently malicious.

Now, if the cops came to his work and told his boss that he was a gang member, had committed murder and was dangerous, then you'd possibly have a case.

If the officers had absolutely no other reason to pull him over but for appearance, then that is an illegal stop, and could be argued as violation of civil rights, and pursued in civil court. In a criminal case (ie this illegal stop led to them finding bud), the illegal stop would poison the resulting evidence (fruit of the poisonous tree is the proper legal term), and the case would be thrown out.

Thing is, most officers aren't that stupid. They know these rules better than you, and know how to play the game. Most officers will wait until there is legit cause and, since most people are woefully unaware of just how many traffic and equipment laws are in place, 90% of the time, they'll get it.

For instance, got tint? In most states, front window tint may not extend past the ASI line, regardless of the level of tint, but even most tint installers don't know that. How many people in the general population do you think know an ASI line exists, much less that there is an infraction tied to it? They then make the stop on that basis. Sure, we all know the actual reason for the stop is hooptie in the ghetto, but legally, the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed.

Faraway

Having tint, cracked windshield, broken tail light, headlight out of adjustment, ect are all reasons to pull you over. Then the game starts. If you act in a way they don't like then they will hassle you. Also could be a same name thing. My girlfriend has a common first & last name & they handcuffed her put her in the back of the cop car started driving down the road, then stopped let her out, she came running back home & said they firgured out it was the wrong person with same name. The height & weight did not match so they let her go. If it wasn't for that she would have had to prove that she was not the one. We are glad this cop was just doing his job & not being a real asshole about it.

X

xinsanewickedx

the cops here are dicks because of my tats they say i am in a gang , i have had three diff cops take pics of my tats.the messed up part is that they where there for some one else.now i give them no reason to mess with me,just drive right ,dont carry any smoke in your ride ,as for the tint the cops will mess with you no matter how dark your tint.good luck

Cops are not supposed to detain you for any longer than it takes to conduct legal business. If you stand there are roll your sleeves up for a pig or waste time answering any questions then shame on you. just walk away. If they stop you, you are being detained and then you clam up...you MUST give them all papers if driving, but walking a verbal giving of name and address is all that is legally necessary....AND the cops are NOT supposed to ask for ID unless they have ' articulable grounds ' to believe that you are worthy of suspicion. NOT a hunch...or where you are..or time of night...or who you hang with...none of that means shit.

If we ALL hold the filthy devils feet to the fire, all the time, then the cops WILL change and learn...they react to us. If you let a cop know that he is messing with potential legal hassles and that you do not seem like the type that will swallow their bullshit, then they are more likley to go away....cops hate hassles too, and unless they are convinced that you have some real value to them, they will relent.

I can flip off any cop in my town...they know that if they stop me and start the crap they will lose...the word is out; Leave him alone unless you got him good...its not worth all the hassles at work...the newspaper articles he writes and gets published, and the possibility of a lawsuit. I do NOT go around all the time provoking them, as I have better things to do with my time than educate stupid cops as to the law...but when I am in a fighting mood and particularly pissed at cops in general, I will exercise my rights and piss off a few just to show them who is REALLY in charge...the People..and NOT the cops!!

A

Amstel Light

i dont know i would have to disagree with the whole "your a gang member" your on a "gang watchlist" not being defamation... what if he was driving around with his boss when the cop told him this? would he not be defamed at this point?

NiteTiger

Veteran
i dont know i would have to disagree with the whole "your a gang member" your on a "gang watchlist" not being defamation... what if he was driving around with his boss when the cop told him this? would he not be defamed at this point?

Where is the damage? Where is the maliciousness?

No more malicious than pulling someone over and saying "You were speeding" or "driving erratically".

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The only people present were him and the cop. Who did he defame him to? It has to be said to someone else for it to be defamation. And then, if the cop were actually told this, it wouldn't be the cop that was liable, but the person/persons that told him....

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Yeah obviously man... what is a worse penalty for you guys over there? Here in the UK, the policy officers can only hold you for 24hours without charge, then they have to apply to the court for an order to hold you longer. This is impossible if you know what you are doing. Any time they are forcing action on the MAN (this includes you too ladies), they are acting unlawfully and you have recourse. As soon as you create joinder between you and your name, they can pretty much treat you however they want. You are admitting that you are an employee of the US/UK/EU and you are on the job 24/7, this aint no dayshift.

I'm not saying that a little time in a cell isn't inconveniencing the day you had planned, I'm just saying if you've got a brick in the car and you're going down the station anyway, why do it as an employee breaking company rules instead of a MAN of freewill who has the lawful right to do as the hell he likes as long as he's not affecting anyone else (maybe that brick is so stinky it's annoying the other road users ;))

These suggestions seem a little crazy at first, but do a little research into this and you'll see they're not as out there as you initially thought. A lot of people speak of LEGAL and LAW, but it makes me chuckle... especially when the advice given is only in line with LEGISLATION, they are two completely different things. This wasn't on the BAR test, trust me. Legislated acts are not law, they are merely rules of a society. Has anyone ever tried to read those damn things...? Usually a couple of hundred pages of senseless trash... Are you telling me you guys have memorised every section of every act, every link or discrepancy between acts and understand them all? How do you even know if you are abiding by the so called law if not? A Policy Enforcement Officer can tell you just about anything under section 89 of the Bullshit Act and all you can do is bow down to their authority. The only thing these corps have an authority to act on is your 'PERSON' or 'NAME / LEGAL FICTION', which isn't you. It's a title that's all, a piece of paper (your birth certificate to be precise) which your employer created when your parents signed the ownership of you over to them (REGISTRATION in law is defined as 'transfer of ownership').

A brief story - A friend was arrested recently. He gave no name and refused to contract with them in any way (didn't sign anything and did nothing that was ordered). They held him for a whole 24hrs + whatever it took them to get him into a hearing. He stayed strong and they had to release him without charge... why? Because they have nothing to charge, he was a MAN and not a PERSON from start to finish. The claim is now smelling very sweet.

It's all just commerce and we forget that sometimes... they aren't interested in right and wrong. If they were then weed, window tints or whatever other shit doesn't affect YOU in any way whatsoever wouldn't be legislated against.

None of this was in any way LEGAL advice and I will never give any... as soon you receive it you are considered a 'WARD' or 'CHILD' and you have no right to speak. The police over here always try to get you to take on legal advice from a solicitor, I'm not sure what it's like over there. Lawyers obviously love this as they can only make money when you are in controversy. Ever tried to defend yourself in court as the person? It's not very effective... the word 'steamrolled' comes to mind.

I know nothing about LEGAL and never claim to, but I'm quite versed with LAWFUL. You can never have any success in either realm if you have one foot in both. From my escapades in LEGAL I have concluded that you can have a pretty good life if you are willing to tow the line, bend over and accept anything your government demands of you without question. Any diversion from this is risky and you don't have much remedy available to you. The world of LAWFUL on the other hand is a much more level playing field, "No one is above the law". For one, my chronic back pain from all that bending is gone, so now I just lawfully smoke for pleasure :D

It's all about words and what they mean... this is an interesting watch from the law research group --> The Occult World Of Commerce (don't be put of by views, just listen to the words)

very interesting post, i'm fully into being a free man instead of a legal person, but what do you do if they want your prints and they already have them? they will use the prints to connect you to the legal person, don't you think? that's why biometrics are so evil they enslave us all and tie us to the fictional legal person, there by allowing them to act against you. or do i get this wrong?

peace

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i have done a bit of reading and utubing on this whole subject and it is most interesting.

problem is that in my country the cops (corporate law)expect you to carry id and even some times fine you if you don't carry it. so if they were to ask you to show id and you said you won't, they might well take you in for id'ing at the station, i imagine if you don't cooperate they will physically force you to scan your thumb, after which they know who your legal person is and they will just treat you as if you are the person. ie search you, search your house if you have too much money or drugs on you for their liking. or any other excuse they come up with.

are you saying that if i refuse to name myself as the legal person, nor answer any questions, except to give my first name, they will just go on their way? i some how doubt it, but might try it if i need to in future lol.

NiteTiger

Veteran
I've just gotta see same case law showing where this has actually worked in real life :D

Duckmang

Wow, that is some serious knowledge you are passing around. I kinda understand but admit it's more hazy than clear. If this were a spelling bee I'd ask you to "use it in a sentence please"

Am I understanding right that when a LEO asks my identity that I should simply say that I am a free man? If they don't press the issue no problem right...? But if they do press the issue I'm not understanding the process entirely. Say they want to take me "in" for my refusal to name myself (attach myself to the fiction) Do I inform them then of my $10K/hr fee for questioning? I sorta understand the "lein trap" but not how to set and snare it. Could you clarify this better for those of us who aren't fluent in "legal-eze"