What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Omaha Steaks

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I had the juiciest steak last night...mildly stoned it went down like a treat, said to the babe "that was the best steak ever!" she said there was no meat in that steak....I was about to flip, kept ma cool...and replied "Oh yeah?"
she said "it was all mushrooms and nuts, no weired shit ..just for you"

I replied "Thanks"

as I lost 2 close friends last year to bowl cancer, them friends and I were big meat eaters

chill
no mushrooms and nuts will ever replace a rare bloody steak...that said I love mushrooms too...and nuts ..yeehaw..I love marinated mushrooms..even Italian dressing works....mmmm

Green Squall

Anyone like the cheaper cuts of beef? I like top round, skirt and sirloin tip. Delicious if cooked correctly.

Tried Omaha a long time ago. I don't remember if it was any good or not.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
Anyone like the cheaper cuts of beef? I like top round, skirt and sirloin tip. Delicious if cooked correctly.

absolutely ...beat the shit out of it and add tenderizer,,,or slow cook....yeehaw

mrcreosote

Veteran
A far better investment is to give your butcher a fifth of scotch to cut what you want when he gets it in. Fresh is always better than frozen and Prime is always better than Select which is what most meat in the case is.
Prime is what the butcher takes home.

My butcher buddy says he has no problem sharing the love to those who appreciate his skill.
A one time investment at Christmas pays off through the whole year.

Paying 3X the price for meat doesn't make it better, although you can fool yourself it does.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
I bought some many years ago...

I bought some many years ago...

I didn't think they were anything special,just overpriced.

I have a local butcher not far from me. If I want prime cuts that's where I go.

I used to know my meat by name. :party: Like Mable Burgers, from fresh butchered cows of the farm

They would come running when daddy came home to get a handful of honey grain

sprinkl

Veteran

Hell yearh...
Any decent butcher will be very happy to tell you about and fix the less popular cuts. Often they are hard to sell and end up in minced meat so loss in profit and it requires more work to process.

"hanger", pretty well known around here tho. Skirt is sometimes sold as hanger because it also has a good bite and strong flavor, but the hanger is more extreme.
cwright-beef2.jpg

dunno what this is in USA cut. Thin, superb tender piece of meat on the shoulderblade, lots of work to remove all the tendons. Swells beautifully when preparing, superjuicy =)
gepelde-schouderblad1.jpg

Another supertender piece is hidden in there, that pulls the achilles tendon.
maxresdefault.jpg

Cattle in this country is bred for producing muscle, they produce almost no fat. To build a pound of fat the same energy is needed to produce 3 pounds of muscle, and the customer for some reason demanded lean meat. Cattle is always fed protein rich dry feed the last months to gain muscle. Before that period they eat mostly grass. Cows that are aged and had 3+ young have eaten the most grass and have at least a somewhat fat marbling going on here and there and are definitely superior compared to 2 year old bulls and cows that didn't breed/ are of young age as well.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I'd have to agree with many before me, Omaha Steaks are okay but way overpriced for what you get.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
a few got loose last week and strolled on by my pad ...the farmer came back with some hay under his arm and led them home.....yeehaw

floralheart

Veteran
a few got loose last week and strolled on by my pad ...the farmer came back with some hay under his arm and led them home.....yeehaw

Just curious what it runs you and how much you buy?

I know a 1/4 costs me about $500, but I have to drive almost 6 hrs. round trip to pick it up, or have it shipped. I don't mind driving away from the smog, anyway. In a perfect world, I'd get mine from upstate new york, along the toll road areas. The air is ten times cleaner than where I live.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Two summers ago I did an outdoor run, and my landlord/neighbor had cattle. Bought half a cow off of him, god dam that meat was good...

Yeah I remember way back in the day when I was still a small child, my folks used to always buy a 1/2 cow and that would feed our family of 5 very well for several months. The farmer it came from delivered the meat himself and it was already hand cut and wrapped up in a wide variety of cuts and hamburger and stew meat. He also threw in a half dozen whole chickens. Back then that was the cheapest way to get meat. We had a big upright freezer and we would pack it with all that stuff. I don't recall what the price was, I was too young to really be aware of such things. But knowing my mother it was a bargain or she wouldn't have done it.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I agree that a frozen steak is not as good, but a really great frozen steak will beat out an average or even a good fresh steak that was just not as good as the frozen one. I buy mine in quantity and freeze them as they are from far away, organic Arkansas Black Angus free of Antibiotics and hormones, and only fed 100% organic grass. It tastes great and I like them, a tiny bit better when fresh, I also like a burger and have them also from the same Arkansas farm, I also freeze them so I always have them.

-Sams

Because it changes the meat itself.it has to thaw.there's nothing wrong with it but you can deffinatly tell a difference

shithawk420

Veteran
Yeah,I agree Sam.we used to be meat brokers so you obviously need to freeze half a cow.best meat anybody I know ever had.Midwest raised.the guy we got it from said the secret was molasses.that was all he would say,and it was a closely guarded secret

Green Squall

There's a small scale farmer near me who raises cows and he has to drive almost 100 miles to get them slaughtered and processed! This adds stress to the animals and drives the cost way up. Thank you very much department of agriculture...

kaochiu

Veteran
This is my all time favourite http://www.bodegasdealto.com/food/restaurants/el-capricho/
The article is old, but the steak carries on being the same and the chef's expertise increasing. I go there several times every year, like 200km from my house in an almost desert village in northern Spain. They charge a lot, like 120€ a kg, and there are no steaks under two kilos. But the problem is after you try something like this, standards rocket.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    25 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

sprinkl

Veteran
Is that a baby holding that meat? It's friggin' huge!!

Looks like its got a lot more meat on it than just the loin+rib, we occasionally eat porkmeat cut like that here - the lower 2/3 part is a piece of the belly bacon - never beef. I wonder how tender those outer parts are?