What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oldtimer's Purple Haze off in my brain!!!!

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
Your bulb is bad.

All the hazes I have grown have taken ~30 days to show sex. Males maybe a little faster. Maturity of the plant doesn't seem to matter in this case either. Other plants will spit pre-flowers depending on maturity level of the plant. I had a Golden Tiger from seed show pre-flowers after 8 weeks vegging under 24 hours light. The other nine didn't and required a flowering light cycle to show sex.

Supercropping will be your friend.

LostTribe

Premium user
So selection for keepers needs criteria and its a pity dubi is not with us but it is what it is. I chose to discard the Zamaldelica Male cutting. The plant remains along with the others but I am leaning towards culling it. It is a polyhybrid and I have pollen from pure males so I am probably culling.

I will wait on all of the old-timer's purple haze to verify sex before culling. However the Phaze 2, the taller stretchy phenotype may be a goner. Really tall and the rest are much shorter bushes.

I will grab a new 400w hortilux hps bulb monday and transfer them to the tent with exhaust fan. I will probably up pot next week to something a tad larger. I am in 6 inch pots and most are root bound with the shorter hazes not stretching yet. Think its safe to do so.

LostTribe

Premium user
Wow! In a great way!

Got a whiff of the Phaze 1 and it took me back to 15 years ago when I got a few pieces of buds that were just so coated with trichomes and it was all fluff with such taste! I always thought it was a haze from the high and all around essence of the herb. Hope that one is a girl!

LostTribe

Premium user
I was suppercropping a branch and pinched it the smell really takes me back! 400 hps won't even start to kick on now hope its not the ballast. Anyone ever had to replace anything inside the ballast before?

corky1968

Veteran
I was suppercropping a branch and pinched it the smell really takes me back! 400 hps won't even start to kick on now hope its not the ballast. Anyone ever had to replace anything inside the ballast before?

I've never looked inside of a ballast. It if old it's probably not worth playing around.

Just go get another one when you can.

Did you have a Hot Start? This is when you try to light up a ballast again before it cools down after being on for a while.

LostTribe

Premium user
I've never looked inside of a ballast. It if old it's probably not worth playing around.

Just go get another one when you can.

Did you have a Hot Start? This is when you try to light up a ballast again before it cools down after being on for a while.

I tried a few things but now its totally gone I hear a small hum at startup but nothing doing. Bulb was flickering and not very bright the day before so I left it unplugged now nothing....

LostTribe

Premium user
if I upgrade it will be a 400 hps mh switchable this time. Can't do my 1k on 600 in that tent its too hot.

LostTribe

Premium user
Up potted all of them today except the zamaldelica male. Went from 6in to 8in pots this time I added a 1 inch layer of volcanic rock to the bottoms then a handful of perlite on top of that. I also super cropped all tops that were above the rest of the canopy. Zam male is starting to drop pollen already so probably gonna cull that sucker.

LostTribe

Premium user
It is day 14 of 11/13 a very quick 2 weeks wait so far. Up potting is completed and most except maybe 1 was root bound but up potted all 6 of them. Will chop the Male Zam tomorrow as he's already blasting it all over the place....dont want an entirely seeded mess on my hands.

LostTribe

Premium user
I am considering going to 10/14 to speed things up but not sure how that will affect my yield. Guess I will wait for now but that is something that I will go for at some point. I know I am but 2 weeks in and thats that. I miss these stem smells from the soil grows I used to get a lot better smelling herb. My G's done in hydroton always turn out nice just some strains need good ol dirt!

corky1968

Veteran
Stick with your 11/13 hour schedule.

Going down to 10 hours isn't going to shave a month off your flowering time.

This is why pure Sativas aren't for everyone.

LostTribe

Premium user
I suppose you are correct. I will still keep it in mind at the end. Just trying to make conversation really as its gonna be a hell of a run until then. I love the smells coming from the plants after super cropping them. Its going to be totally worth the wait! I really cannot believe its already been 2 weeks that was very fast! Tomorrow is day 15 already!

corky1968

Veteran
I saw a study one thing in a book and it was about flowering times.

They tried using 11, 12 and 13 hours photoperiod.

What they found is that the size of the calyxes were largest with the 13 hour on photoperiod.
But the plants took at least an extra week to finish up over the standard 12/12 photoperiod.

The plants with the 11 hour on photoperiod were the fastest to finish up.
At a cost of both total yield and those plants had the smallest calyxes.

Just keep busy and soon a month will have passed.

LostTribe

Premium user
I culled the male zamaldelica today his balls were sagging so he had to go. Some had already open exposing pollen but only a few pre flowers are showing on the Zam which he may have pollinated but whatever still not worried. Just a few pre flowers.

Day 15 of 11/13!

Watered em up good with straight tap water. Repot was same mix 70/15/15 promix, ewc and perlite a bit of lime too. Nothing more.

LostTribe

Premium user
UPDATE!!!

Day 18 of 11/13!!!!!

Zamaldelica definitely got hit with the other Zamaldelica Male's Pollen as its already got pistils blowing up and going bright red. The good thing is the female Zamaldelica is the spicy carrot smelling one!

One of my Purple Haze is beginning to show sex already. Looks like it could be either. My guess is male as it is the 2nd tallest and it is pretty early to show sex for this strain according to Corky and Dubi along with others. It is also the bushiest so if it is male I will collect pollen.

Grabbed a new 400w HPS Hortilux and turns out the ballast is bad. I think its the starter so I hope to grab a new e ballast rather than repair the old magnetic one. Its my first ballast from 1999 and it was involved in a flood 2 years ago but was not in use at the time. Still affected by the flood. The 1k was tested and still working hope its still good but I really dont need it just for backups as I have a new e ballast for the 1k's.

So hoping to get them into more light this week as its getting up there and they clearly need more light intensity.

sandel

Stick with your 11/13 hour schedule.

Going down to 10 hours isn't going to shave a month off your flowering time.

This is why pure Sativas aren't for everyone.

Dubi stated that is better to go down at 10/14 in the last 3 weeks with OTH to finish her correctly.

LostTribe

Premium user
I saw a study one thing in a book and it was about flowering times.

They tried using 11, 12 and 13 hours photoperiod.

What they found is that the size of the calyxes were largest with the 13 hour on photoperiod.
But the plants took at least an extra week to finish up over the standard 12/12 photoperiod.

The plants with the 11 hour on photoperiod were the fastest to finish up.
At a cost of both total yield and those plants had the smallest calyxes.

Just keep busy and soon a month will have passed.

UPDATE DAY 21 OF 11/13!!!

Day 21 arrives 3 days now under a glorious 400 HPS Hortilux in a much more adequate tent with brand new exhaust too! Got some Dro bout to GO with my other gear soon so had to grab some new gear just for these!

Anyway 3 of the OT Purple Haze are starting to show sex! Not pistils or the saga juice balls yet but getting there 2 look female.

These things are crazy with such skinny leafs going and lots more leaf growth since upping the wattage. I was not concerned this go around with seed moms being run out with lower wattage at first since they will continue to grow for so long. Probably helped both stretch and ability to handle all of them.

I have continued to Super Crop all the plants and they are looking like super bushes compared to the old pics. I will try to get some new pics up next week just been way too busy.

Zamaldelica definitely has more Zamaldelica beans going on with the pre flowers but I am not concerned as the male is gone and they are in a brand new 30x30x 5' tent!

The lone Malawi has also stretched quite a bit considering its small stature upon entering 11/13 and it is a clone.

I top dressed again this week with a bit more Mexican bat guano 1/4 tsp and 1/2 tsp of indonesian bat guano.

Question
They are starting to loose lower leaves and I am probably going to remove lower 1/2 of the plants as they continue to force more energy into the growing tops. So my question is the colors are not super dark green in fact they are a fairly light color currently. I was considering adding a bit of EWC to the top dressing but dont want them to stretch.....thoughts?

LostTribe

Premium user
We've Got BUSH!!!!

Sexing going on all over creation! Day 22 of 11/13 turned up the following:

Malawi 1 was MALE!-probably will cull

Oldtimers Purple Haze 1 definitely showing Male-Probably keep him but gonna try to collect off him in a separate place....

Oldtimers Purple Haze 5 is FEMALE! Definitely got white pistils popping through already at day 22 and she is the best looking growing of all of them so far so that is some good vibration stuff right there huh??

The rest are not showing yet. I am thinking going with 11/13 to begin flowering definitely is going to decrease the length of bloom on all of these fine Pure Sativa's as most said 5 weeks until the Haze would show sex. Thats 40% less time.....

The PHaze 5 is looking great! Bushy and vigorous! Skinny leaves. I super cropped her 4 main colas as I also did with the rest of the plants. I am hoping to lower my 400w down once they perk up from the stress. Right now I am at 3 feet above them want to get it down to 18 inches as I have a nice ac hood hooked up with exhaust going now and the glass is cool to the touch the closer the better so long as they dont burn won't get within 12 inches on these though.

Best,
LT

LostTribe

Premium user
Add another fine female to the bunch of old-timers purple haze's albeit a tall leggy bitch!

PH1 male
PH2 Female
PH5 Female(pick of the litter)

See Y'all I am already at day 25 of 11/13 and these things are starting to blast off! Wont be long!

Pics coming in a few days if not sooner just really busy with other things right now.