What's new

OldOne's 2nd cab run - PLL / PPK / Arjan's Haze 3

oldone

Number Five is where it's at... Data collection and analysis. Speculation. Hypothesis.

Clearly, the biggest flaw in the PPK is how easy and forgiving it is. You know this translates into boredom.

Shiney things with circuit boards are not boring. No sir.

That's what we need to introduce. More circuit boards.

I mean, they won't change the grow, but each little piece of tech might short-circuit, or become misaligned, modified or even upgraded.

Yup. Computer interference is a great work around for the PPK's design flaws.
You forgot the cameras and sensors and actuators, oh my!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
what i did to grow pot
today........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................snnnnnoooooooooooooooozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!

i guess i'll go out and mix some nutes later. i could go another day or two but the ro can is full.

i thought about plucking a few leaves but decided to wait about making the decision until later.

i did check ph and tds a few days ago but they were fine and required no action. i'll check em' again next week.

oldone

Hi D9,
what i did to grow pot
today........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................snnnnnoooooooooooooooozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!

i guess i'll go out and mix some nutes later. i could go another day or two but the ro can is full.

i thought about plucking a few leaves but decided to wait about making the decision until later.

i did check ph and tds a few days ago but they were fine and required no action. i'll check em' again next week.
You seem comfortably bored...

I however have been busy...let me introduce you to a 74 day old(!) cutting as of 10/5/2010;

She looks kinda small in the veg section:

Here is the miniature version of the ppk I cobbled together out of spare parts:

This is an assembled shot. The red line shows the joint where the top media filled container is forced into the lower one. The green line is the bottom of the top container. The blue line is the rez level. So the distance between green and blue lines is my air gap. Blue line to the bottom is the rez depth. Total height is about 13", depends on how hard I push.

Here are all the parts;

Pretty basic, eh? 2 standard 6" black soil pots, 1 with 1.5" cut off the bottom. Cost?, I dunno, no more than $2.:)

Wick installation:

What does not show clearly is that all 6 holes are plugged solidly(in theory anyway).

And here is a shot at some Canna coco soaking in a 1.5 EC bath of Jacks.

The cutting has been in the above ppk for 2 days. I'll have to wait for pics though as she's sleeping right now.

OO

Keif

Very nice! You have a great setup going on! I just read from the beginning and it was a great read oldone!

oldone

Very nice! You have a great setup going on! I just read from the beginning and it was a great read oldone!
Thanks Keif!

You gotta try this system...if you want to be bored that is...

Thanks for stopping by,
OO

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
That first pic makes me laugh.

How did you convince a cut to stay alive for all that time and be the size of a lighter?

You should run a used car lot.

I'm glad the genetic is alive. You know she is lovely now.

You've watched the mother with care for months.

You will now know how to treat the daughter.

And that dynamic will change the world.

Keep it in this thread? Or start a new one?

My vote: Keep it rolling here... same strain... same cab... continuation of the process...

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: No really: how did you keep a plant alive in a twelve ounce cup for two and a half months without it growing?

oldone

Hi IF,
Keep it in this thread? Or start a new one?

My vote: Keep it rolling here... same strain... same cab... continuation of the process...
I'm starting to think you're right.

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: No really: how did you keep a plant alive in a twelve ounce cup for two and a half months without it growing?
Neglect, apathy and luck. No kidding.

Back in July I took 2 cuts each from the AH3 and bagseed plants I had in the cab. You can see the other 3 cups in this pic.

2 of the cuts died almost right away and the 3rd lingered much longer. My cloning "technique" was to take fresh cuts, stick them in water, razor trim under water, dip in rooting gel and then right into pre moistened coco. Then it was spray them with plain RO when they drooped. After about 10 days I didnt have to spray them anymore. I think I fed her twice over the months with ~0.2 EC FNB then Jacks. She sat 8" away from a 15W(?) 3500Kish fluorescent on a 24/0 cycle.

So the secret formula for a 25% success rate is: low light, no rest and little food.

Here she is in the PPK 2 days after transplant(76 days old). Using 1.0 EC Jacks.

Not bad, but imagine her confusion..."wtf is this dark shit"? A day that lasted 1776 hours and then the lights go out.

Whats next? Oh yes the daily agony to chop or not to chop. Most of the lower buds are ready but the tops are really bursting with new flowers. It must be the Jacks.

Still waiting for the damn eyeclops.
OO

oldone

You also don't want something ridiculous like a lack of patience ruining your grow...
Ah yes, rule #0. There can be such a thing as too much patience.

My concern is bud quality. If I let all of her go till the tops finish, the bottoms will deteriorate. What I am going to do is harvest selectively and let the tops go...they should be spectacular!

What I'd like to know if this uneven ripening is a genetic thing or my own neglect biting me on the ass.

See ya,
OO

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
In this case, selective harvest is preferred, I think.

I know that the genetic I have is breeder reported to be multi-harvest-able: that is, in an outdoor garden you can take flowers on days 45 and 56 or something.

This is the beauty of re-running your genetic. You get to know her better.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
i can't get over that cut being that size at that age. you are a very patient man.

your build looks workable. are you going to seal off the res this time?

none of my plants have ever ripened evenly. growing purely for personal stash it wouldn't hurt to take it as it turns. you would probably get more weight that way also.

oldone

i can't get over that cut being that size at that age. you are a very patient man.

your build looks workable. are you going to seal off the res this time?

none of my plants have ever ripened evenly. growing purely for personal stash it wouldn't hurt to take it as it turns. you would probably get more weight that way also.
I am just a surprised that she's still alive. I'm going to try it again. That will be the real test.

How unevenly? My tops look like brand new buds sorta, while others lower down are very close to finishing. I think this is about as uneven as you can get.:)

Am I going to cover?...you bet, but I dont want to "fix" my ppk's position in the rez. The ability to move it around in there has been useful more than once. I have been using a 2 layer black garbage bag as a sort of skirt. I'll do the same this time, just a little better designed.

All the best D9,
OO

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
well, my plants have always ripened from the terminal buds backwards towards the main stem. the end buds first, the middle buds next, and the innermost buds last.

but, if i understand you correctly, yours are ripening the other way around?

so, i don't know what to tell you.

when you do take the buds in sequence like this, generally just a few days between cuttings is enough. they seem to ripen faster.

from the last photo of your plant it looks like you could just reach in with a pair trim scissors and nip the ripe buds off.

either way, you will be drying it all soon! cool!

oldone

but, if i understand you correctly, yours are ripening the other way around?
Seems like it. Check these out;

Hard to tell they're from the same plant...these are a week old, updated pics tomorrow.

from the last photo of your plant it looks like you could just reach in with a pair trim scissors and nip the ripe buds off.
I'm trying but having the veg and flower section going I have no place to dry! Nice to have these kind of problems.:)

see ya bro,
OO

I use a 30X eye loupe with UV and 2 led lights you can turn on independently from one another (found it at a local place for 6$! way cheaper than the eyeclops I was looking at.

My plants ripened same way (3 of the 15 genes I have running) I snipped close to main stem and harvested lower and within 5 days more size weight and clouds appeared on my terminals...

as far as my sativa expertise goes, you break it up check for bag seed and blaze to ease the crohns pain... but Im not allowed to smoke at moment(Uncle Sam shit)

I have a plant called thumper that did the exact same thing after a lil DF and mini flush I gave it but its in a coco - soil mix with lots of perlite and only a half gallon pot, the other one was that way I started getting .5-1.0 grm buds(dry) off bottom like crazy and today I chop the whole plant solid bud for 13"(main cola, and 8 6" ones spiraling up the sides) and no leaves as I am OCD and continuously will take 3-5 fan leaves a day min... not bad for a 49 day finish and vegged it for 11 weeks to snag a TON of clones lol but total height was 48" from top of media...

and what other fittings do you use with your float valves? I just spent 400$ on plastics and my wife prolly wont care but wont be enthused till she realizes in a week I can "set it and forget it!" woah way too many infomercials late at night lol...

AND D9... are we neighbors? you describe my UPS guy!!! and deep south lmao you can come get a nice clone if you want bro, I'd gladly donate to the man that made it easy for my wifes uncle who has FSH Muscular Dystrophy able to grow with ease, and I make all kinds of candies for him cause smokings too hard on his body... and to be honest I give a lot of stuff away, I do grow for cash but in the end I've given away as much as I sell, I give to those in need and sell to those who want, I figure it works and pays a 1600$ a month elect bill at 3 diff houses so eh? but been isolating it all down with mPPKs and PPKs lol dropped one houses bill 400$ lmao

oldone

Hey coloradomedical...its only peeking if you dont want to get caught...ogle away with my blessings!

Hi daggerinmyback,
Thanks for sharing your experiences.
and what other fittings do you use with your float valves? I just spent 400$ on plastics and my wife prolly wont care but wont be enthused till she realizes in a week I can "set it and forget it!" woah way too many infomercials late at night lol...
Not much just 1/4" barbed bulkhead fittings and clear vinyl tubing. Paranoid about the colored shit after UGO's discovery. I'll find some way to darken it for run 3.

I think the useless equipment thing is another trademark of the ppk experience.

Oh and Top Gear is da bomb. I have the first 14 seasons uncut from the UK and they cut out the best stuff for the NA versions. Too bad.

gotta dash,
OO

lucky! all 14 seasons! damn ...

in the tattoo industry they sell colored clip cord cover plastic I cant remember who had the "mad scientist black" but it would go over it and keep light out, or look at shrink wrap spools, and yeah I almost ordered a few spools of that n-g-w stuff but thank god I saw it on here...

wet weight on that plant (not including the bottom buds that finished early) was only a measly 85 grams after total trim, and most stem cutoff... got 148 grams of sugar leaf tho! and a ball of scissor hash! woot!

Latest posts

Latest posts