What's new

OldOne's 2nd cab run - PLL / PPK / Arjan's Haze 3

oldone

Hi Strangely,

The nute level in my system is maintained by a float valve in my ppk rez. This lets me dial in the air gap accurately. Its also extremely simple. My bulk rez feeds through the valve using good old gravity.

Others that have more buckets use a control bucket that has the float valve. This is plumbed into all their ppks thus maintaining the rez level / air gap. Their control / ppks must be on the same floor level for this to work. They use the same gravity feed bulk rez as well.

ppks = simplicity above all.

see ya,
OO

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
CLARIFICATION: Air gap = space between the solution level in the lower reservoir and the bottom of the main media container. Used to manage the Perched Water Table; primarily to move the mushy wet zone out of the media zone, and adjust overall moisture content throughout media.

oo, if you'd maybe update your new thread, I wouldn't keep coming back here.

Pictures, man.

Pictures.

jjfoo

I take heart from an article in your PPK thread about cucumbers in a 45gal drum(I think). It seems they had no trouble dealing with roots in the rez with ever increasing PPM...we'll see.

hey, sorry for replying to an such an old post, just started reading this

I woudn't take heart in that... the res could have been ever decreasing salt. The bottom line is the plant takes up a cetain amount of salt and water over time. If there is just enough of each for teh whole grow the last drop of water shouldn't be high.

I mean to say they may have started with a low EC to provide the extra water. It is hard to know what the plant takes unless you know the environmental conditions and genetics.

oldone

Hi jjfoo,

I meant that the cucumber plant seemed to survive on what must have been a quite variable nute solution. I think it was in regard to my week 8 overfert discovery...

OO

Strangely

CLARIFICATION: Air gap = space between the solution level in the lower reservoir and the bottom of the main media container. Used to manage the Perched Water Table; primarily to move the mushy wet zone out of the media zone, and adjust overall moisture content throughout media.
Hmmm wonder how a media wick would affect the PWT, if at all. As we're essentially moving the 'bottom' of the media container below the water level (sort of!). Or does that not effect it at all and it's still all about the media you're using / height of container. I'm using a wide short container (needs must) so I'm quite interested in PWT.

oldone

Hmmm wonder how a media wick would affect the PWT, if at all. As we're essentially moving the 'bottom' of the media container below the water level (sort of!). Or does that not effect it at all and it's still all about the media you're using / height of container. I'm using a wide short container (needs must) so I'm quite interested in PWT.
I'm wondering that myself.

I think D9 maintains the the PWT is in the media wick, same as its in the fabric wick. In either case, the PWT gets moved away from the roots and thats a good thing.

I switched to the media wick to try and prevent roots from growing in my rec. No idea if its working or not.

see ya,
OO

Strangely

Right, that makes sense re the PWT staying in the wick regardless of composition. I like idea of a media wick though, seems simpler and cleaner.

I'll keep an eye on your threads then OO. As I'll see if swapping to a media wick affects your results, good or bad. I guess the only thing I'd be worried about in my wide container is if the water / nutes would disperse as well with a single wick as opposed to 6 cloth ones. I could maybe go for 2 I suppose. Really keen to see how things turn out.

Best of luck and thanks for the reply!

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
EDIT: Fucked up and didn't read post date...

Of the pictures I promised and have yet to post...

I think I have a shot of the PWT in the media wick. Or maybe just above it.

Since I'm posting in oo's old thread anyway without regard time line or relevance, I'll note that uniform media has a uniform hydraulic profile... any given wick has a hydraulic profile... combining the two simply combines two different hydraulic profiles. Is it a bad thing? Not inherently. But it is two things.

Latest posts

Latest posts