What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oldest seeds you've ever popped?

antheis

Veteran
just popped some seeds that were at least 8 years old.
stored at room temp (aka lost the fucking pack) until early 2018.
7/7 above ground

Defacto

With respect you are not correct at all.

The global "doomsday" seed vault in Svalberg has perfected the technique of long term seed storage (like *REALLY* long term, decades to hundreds of years) and the key is both cold and dry and I've personally copied their technique and had success with hundreds of my own bred seeds. My last batch I germinated had been in the freezer 9 years under these conditions and I got 100% germination.

Umm, what, exactly, are you saying? What are the specifics of the technique that you have personally copied?

DrDee

Greetings Folks,
My seed collection was not stored properly due to moving several times. I'm just back to growing after over a decade. Even my newest seeds were 10 years old.

I scuffed, soaked in various chemicals including H2O2, kineten, humic acid and GA3. I learned that it's easy to make an old seed pop...but to get it to grow properly is a more difficult. GA 3 plants would die after expending energy on useless taproot growth

Of the roughly 100 seeds I've tried to germ this fall...I only got three survivors. One is a White Widow female I bought at Amsterdam Marijuana Seeds (AMS) It was my first seed purchase. In the picture...the larger plant on the left is a revegged clone I took from the Mom while she was 3 weeks into flowering. She will be my Widow clone Momma.

I had a pack of G13Widows from MrNice. One popped and it is super slow growing. I keep it in low light and feed occasionally. Took 3 days for cotyledons to unfold. That would be the runt on the right...over 3 weeks old.

The only other survivor was a Black Pearl male. I used some pollen...then culled it.
JD
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79332&pictureid=1920633

Last edited:

mr autoflow

I tried to germ a bunch of seeds from 1970 aprox, southamerican sativas of my grandpa. No luck, couldnt germ one.

My aunt did got one, very fluffly, amoniac like odor and clean but soft effect.

bigbadbiddy

Not here...what's it supposed to do?
JD

Hey DrDee,

I had some issues with MRN strains in jiffy plugs.
Cracked my head over it for a while and came to the conclusion that they struggle with getting burried too deep in bigger jiffy plugs and when the taproot doesn't get direct contact with the peat moss because it is not all the way to the bottom of the hole but "suspended" somewhere in the middle.
Lost a couple of seeds to that.

Have since moved over to propagating with aero cloner, rockwool and direct to soil and had a lot less calamities.

Couldn't tell you why, could also be it has nothing to do with the jiffies.
But it did change things for me, moreso with the MRN strains than with others...

DrDee

BigDaddy,
I find a flaw in your reasoning...

Just coincidence that I'm currently growing MNS seedlings in rockwool.

Depth isn't a major critical element. 1/2" to 1 1/2" anywhere in there is cool. Deeper you plant...less likely to have to deal with helmet head.
JD

SUPER_HAZE

They say they help germinate seeds, old and new.

To germinate old seeds I would try to put them in a glass with distilled water and hydrogen peroxide to disinfect them. Then put them in low nutrient soil with ph 6-6.5 and add distilled water to ph 6. constant temperature of 24º and wait.

The seeds have a life time, no matter how much we want and do, it is useless because they can be dead. It would be like trying to revive a dead person. It is best to keep them in the freezer or refrigerator.

There is also a natural method that is to germinate a handful of hemp seeds or cannabis and when they have 2 cm the root take and crush them. Filter and mix with water. Measure ph and add to the ground or in napkin to germinate. This liquid is rich in hormones and auxins.

ctg

Veteran
I just popped some BCGA mix seed that I would imagine is 20 or almost 20 years old. Bout 80 % at this point few more to go. Excited to see some of the old killers!
Thanks to the old friend that supplied em!
-ct-

bigbadbiddy

BigDaddy,
I find a flaw in your reasoning...

Just coincidence that I'm currently growing MNS seedlings in rockwool.

Depth isn't a major critical element. 1/2" to 1 1/2" anywhere in there is cool. Deeper you plant...less likely to have to deal with helmet head.
JD

Could be, could be.

Like I said, I'm not sure about it, just the conclusion I ended up on and thought it could maybe be of service to someone else.

But could be that it had nothing to do with the jiffy plugs. I used them for a while without issues as well. Just couldn't figure out what else could have been the reason.

Just for me, I will be planting seedlings in rockwool cubes or straight to soil going forward. RootIt plugs and jiffy plugs both gave me issues in that regard.

Probably just a personal thing though, you are probably right.

DrDee

Hi guys,
All this discussion triggered a memory of using peat pots. Little 3" or 4" molded cups/pots made with peat. I filled them with a good starting mix (or coco). Once big enough, just moisten and tear off the bottom to ease root growth. They work great.

I use rockwool when plant is destined for hydro.
JD

romanoweed

What would you say, often People tell you need stable Conditions. Would you now rather store seeds in normal Living Room, probably not at sunside, shure, but can still become quiet warm in summer, OR would you place Seeds into the basement/cellar, so the Seeds dont get to warm in summer, but take them into livingroom in winter to avoid freezing..? Wich method is better? Changing conditions, but never overheat Seeds, or not changing Conditions but heat them in Summer(let them stay in Livingroom). Yes and i have no freezer.
Thanx

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Up until just a few weeks ago, my seeds were almost exclusively from 2005-2006.

Some germ like they are new. Others take a bit to get going. And some don't go at all.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Up until just a few weeks ago, my seeds were almost exclusively from 2005-2006.

Some germ like they are new. Others take a bit to get going. And some don't go at all.
Very nice, definitely relieves my seed dying paranoia. In what conditions were you storing them?

Mystic Funk

I have popped many seeds that were 30+ years old and got pretty good germ rates seeing that they weren't stored the best. I have some 40+ year old seeds I'm going to pop soon. If you interested in how one can get old seeds to pop, just check out the thread in my signature below.

BTW. If anyone has trouble getting less then 90% germ rates on 10 year seeds, you'll need to rethink the way you're storing them. 10 years isn't even the Half-Life of a cannabis seed.

Peace
Mystic