What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oldest seeds you've ever popped?

PDX Dopesmoker

Vegetable oils, like the one in a seed, will go rancid as a result of exposure to heat, light or moisture. The seed itself is sealed in the hull and protected from light and moisture until the hull is breached, so as long as warmth doesn't destroy the oils in the seed they can last a long time. 3 years old is the oldest I've tried, both worked, they were just kept in a dime bag in a desk drawer. My magical luck worked even better than the 100% rate too, I got one male and one female

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I've germinated seeds over 20 years old. Asparagus, cannabis, or whatever seem to have a few more that don't sprout but still the majority do when packed into mason jars and kept continuously frozen. (Not in a frost free freezer.)

imho, desiccant with seeds is the last thing one would want.

Why would you avoid the use of a desiccant? I always throw a silica gel packet in with my seeds to ensure they're moisture free.

JetLife175

Veteran
about 3 years ago I popped some old oaxacan seeds from 1990 or so. I was able to get a OP going and now have fresh stock. I've been waiting to sift through them for some projects but never get the space to Do it

Defacto

Why would you avoid the use of a desiccant?

I don't want to dry seeds out; like a frost free freezer does.

In my simple mind, I see a seed that lays frozen in the relatively moist earth and is perfectly happy until things warm up.

Since the seeds aren't wet when you freeze them, I can only see potential problems from adding desiccant.

(Note: This post is explaining my thoughts about desiccant when storing seeds. My previous post explains my preferred storage method.) :)

Last edited:

Dankwolf

Oldest seed I have ever got to get was some Thai seeds from mid 1970s I got 3 or so out of 50 . seeds were stored in a chest in front of a family members bed for 30 years then the last 10 + plus they have been stored in the fridge .

JustSumTomatoes

Oldest seed I have ever got to get was some Thai seeds from mid 1970s I got 3 or so out of 50 . seeds were stored in a chest in front of a family members bed for 30 years then the last 10 + plus they have been stored in the fridge .

Way to go, that's crazy they made it that long!

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Bagseed from a found lot in an LP in climate controlled storage from 1979.

Popped in 2014, Unremarkable from today's standards, but it's from a bag
of pot I smoked while I was in high school.

The bagseed, lineage unknown, circa 1979 in the major metropolitan N.Y. area.

I have only anecdotal info on her, no proper testing for
terpene profile or THC%

Culled the bagseed mum today, genetics circa 1979.

She was the female donor for the Bagseed x NYCD X Sensi Star
project.

My reason is to increase the value of the progeny. The F1 seeds
I have are the only ones there are of those genetics.

For the hell of it really, lol. Who would want genetics from
thirty six years ago anyway.

Dropped Cat

Veteran
Bagseed from a found lot in an LP in climate controlled storage from 1979.

30 years in storage.

Popped in 2009, unremarkable from today's standards, but it's from a bag
of pot I smoked while I was in high school.

The bagseed, lineage unknown, circa 1979 in the major metropolitan N.Y. area.

I have only anecdotal info on her, no proper testing for
terpene profile or THC%

She's long gone now.

Culled that bagseed mum 7/2015, genetics circa 1979.

She was the female donor for the Bagseed x NYCD X Sensi Star
project.

My reason was to increase the value of the progeny. The F1 seeds
I have are the only ones there are containing those genetics.

For the hell of it really, lol. Who would want genetics from
so long ago anyway.

An ongoing project, with great results.

My thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=294387

soil margin

Veteran
Yeah you never know what old school genetics will become valuable in the future. With so much legalization and more outdoor grows there will definitely be a demand for more pest resistant/weather resistant/etc. genetics and it's hard to predict when you might find some of those traits in older stuff.

I just got a 3 year old bean to pop that had been sitting in a jar in a dresser. One of about 15 from some outdoor bagseed I picked up a long time ago and had just been sitting around. Several of them popped actually and grew tails but only one actually sprouted and survived after being planted. Turning into a nice plant now, interested in seeing how it grows up to be.

bigbadbiddy

I think more than the 30 or so year old heirloom stuff, people would be grateful if the intermediate stuff from the late 90s or early 2ks would be preserved in this manner.

Imagine if someone found/got a hold off some AK47 or Bubblegum from that time and did an open pollination.
Now that would be something we could all rejoice over, wouldn't it?

JustSumTomatoes

I think more than the 30 or so year old heirloom stuff, people would be grateful if the intermediate stuff from the late 90s or early 2ks would be preserved in this manner.

Imagine if someone found/got a hold off some AK47 or Bubblegum from that time and did an open pollination.

Without a doubt. I would personally like to see the old Black Domina from when it could apparently blow your socks off.

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Premium user
420club

Pretty sure Joey weed has f2's of old school AK47, White widow, C99, NL, and I think Blueberry.

Spaventa

Veteran
For me, Ace Purple haze x Malawi, 3 years old.
They were in my fridge in a bag. All 5 germinated, grew and filled jars with Sativa craziness.

de145

9 years in freezer storage 100% (so far) germination rate of my own seeds.
Stored in a mason jar with desiccant the whole time.

de145

I don't want to dry seeds out; like a frost free freezer does.

In my simple mind, I see a seed that lays frozen in the relatively moist earth and is perfectly happy until things warm up.

Since the seeds aren't wet when you freeze them, I can only see potential problems from adding desiccant.

With respect you are not correct at all.

The global "doomsday" seed vault in Svalberg has perfected the technique of long term seed storage (like *REALLY* long term, decades to hundreds of years) and the key is both cold and dry and I've personally copied their technique and had success with hundreds of my own bred seeds. My last batch I germinated had been in the freezer 9 years under these conditions and I got 100% germination.

Gry

Veteran
Seems appropriate to the thread to mention what can only be be described as the tragically disappointing germination rates of some Sam's seed stock, which had stored in "ideal conditions"
in the famed seed vault.

Dropped Cat

Veteran
Seems appropriate to the thread to mention what can only be be described as the tragically disappointing germination rates of some Sam's seed stock, which had stored in "ideal conditions"
in the famed seed vault.

I smell you brother, had some O haze that failed and
was much disappointed

Almost 10 years ago i got thunk freebies and only got one,
lucky was female, been flowering that plant every year since.

S1, and some crosses from her, later this year will dust
that thunk with an old school White Rhino.

Thinking White Thunk, lol.

Sworn off buying vintage seeds, got my own shit I'm working.

Almost 100% strike on my seeds from 2010.

bigbadbiddy

Pretty sure Joey weed has f2's of old school AK47, White widow, C99, NL, and I think Blueberry.

Currently waiting on LostTribe's report on Joey's C99.
LT has been scouring the earth for "the real deal" C99 since a year or two ago, starting with the new re-release of Brother's Grimm C99.

He was not satisfied so far and Joey's C99 is apparently next on his list and one of the last 3 or so sources he considers as "potentially legit".

With AK47 I didn't try any of the current offerings but I did extensive research and no seed source seemed reputable to me. My last hope was someone like Joey Weed who made F2s at some point in time and preserved them. But wasn't willing to pull the trigger myself.

I think if LT says the C99 is legit, I will get some F2s from Joey, chiefly the AK47.