What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old Kali Mist vs New Kali Mist?

THC•20

The KM that Simon has now is no different then the pre 96 version. He changed it back years ago. This has been mentioned 3 times now just in this thread. I have/had both Phenos. Both are devastating. The Wide leaf version has much more of a Couch lock to me. You can see both Pheno types in my album.

That's good to know, I don't really have any expectations, I just want a good Sativa and I'm sure it will be just that.

btw Dan Woody, how do you compress your pics to be small enough to upload on icmag? Lately every since it seems to have been a change in the gallery...I dunno, but it won't allow me to upload anything anymore, everything I try to upload "exceeds size limit", it's very irritating.

D

Dalaihempy

The KM that Simon has now is no different then the pre 96 version. He changed it back years ago. This has been mentioned 3 times now just in this thread. I have/had both Phenos. Both are devastating. The Wide leaf version has much more of a Couch lock to me. You can see both Pheno types in my album.

from simon

The first Kali Mist seeds ever were already made by me before 1993 and were sold at that time by a seedcompany (cerebral seeds) predecessing Serious Seeds. Indeed, a partner of that shared company later started another seed company (sagarmatha) and used those original Kali seeds to create 'western winds'. Yes from those first Kali seeds, as he didn't have acces to the parental stock. Cerebr. seeds only existed for a short while; the exact same Kali seeds were later sold by Serious Seeds from 1994 onwards.

Those were the first Kali Mist seeds and it seems that you are referring to those. This is a long time ago however, and although not impossible I wonder if you grew these.

What you do not mention at all is the fact that Kali was already altered around 1998. At this point I thought it was an improvement but it was not. People at that time complained about the loss of the typical sativa high, much like you do in fact. The combination of genes of th '98 version did carry more 'indica' in the genome. That constitution was again substituted in 2000 for the present Kali seeds which are for sale till this day.

B

Brad

A friend grew out seeds from 2006, and i thought it was pretty great weed, it got me so high, very nice, id say grow it, you wont be dissapointed

KindHypnos

That's good to know, I don't really have any expectations, I just want a good Sativa and I'm sure it will be just that.

btw Dan Woody, how do you compress your pics to be small enough to upload on icmag? Lately every since it seems to have been a change in the gallery...I dunno, but it won't allow me to upload anything anymore, everything I try to upload "exceeds size limit", it's very irritating.

Search gooogle for 'irfanview' it is a free program that can be used to resize and resample pictures...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have read and talked did my homework. The Kali that is sold today is the same end of story. If you would like more data call Simon. If this is untrue I digress so will 100's of people

from simon

The first Kali Mist seeds ever were already made by me before 1993 and were sold at that time by a seedcompany (cerebral seeds) predecessing Serious Seeds. Indeed, a partner of that shared company later started another seed company (sagarmatha) and used those original Kali seeds to create 'western winds'. Yes from those first Kali seeds, as he didn't have acces to the parental stock. Cerebr. seeds only existed for a short while; the exact same Kali seeds were later sold by Serious Seeds from 1994 onwards.

Those were the first Kali Mist seeds and it seems that you are referring to those. This is a long time ago however, and although not impossible I wonder if you grew these.

What you do not mention at all is the fact that Kali was already altered around 1998. At this point I thought it was an improvement but it was not. People at that time complained about the loss of the typical sativa high, much like you do in fact. The combination of genes of th '98 version did carry more 'indica' in the genome. That constitution was again substituted in 2000 for the present Kali seeds which are for sale till this day.

B

been

I have read and talked did my homework. The Kali that is sold today is the same end of story. If you would like more data call Simon. If this is untrue I digress so will 100's of people
Did you not read the part about the 2 raids that took Kali's male P1?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What are you talking about? and no I never herd he lost his males. I have asked Simon to comment on this. As soon as he replies to me I will post it here. If there is a difference I apologize for the miss information.

I have more info it seems after 98 when he got the complaints he took out the indica and used a unknown to us sativa to try and put the strain back to what it was that was in 2000 and has not changed since then. Here is his post

The present Kali Mist seeds gave rise to several price winning plants and do carry more than 90% 'sativa' genes. On the bud pics of the living Kali plant in Monkeys article one can clearly see the narrow leaf shape sticking out of the bud. And take a close look at the structure of the bud itself; at first glance it seems a relatively thight bud. But if checked upon closer one can see clusters of flowers forming little spiraling structures (or small 'towers' as some people describe it). All very recognizable and sativa-like for people who are familiar with it and very different from 'indica' or even a hybrid between those two.

Also the description of the buzz which Monkey describes is clearly sativa-like, and comparable to the Kali available in some (good) coffee shops in Amsterdam which is still grown from clones of the original same Kali plant also used back in 1993.

Further proof of the improved quality of the Kali after 2000 is the article written by GBI and published in Weed World magazine (oct 2006 nr 65). From a pack of Kali seeds he grew plants and discovered that the Kali still is the outstanding product he also remembers it to be from the early nineties. And this is a true journalist writing his sincere opinion (which made him not liked by some seed producers and organisers of festivals, even denying him further access to certain fairs).

This and more feed back i get from people do strengthen me in the opinion that the Kali was and still is one of the very best sativa plants available in seed form today.

So IMO he tried his best to put the genetics back to what it was and by what everyone is saying he did a very good job doing it. I have not had the pleasure of growing pre 98 so I can not compare but the 2000 version is fire/pif so if you go buy what he says the 2000 version is better then pre 98.

what reading?

B

been

This was posted only a few pages back.

Simon wanted to improve its medium yield and decided to increase the Afghani indica share. Accordingly Kali Mist got a new father with more indica genes. This resulted into Kali Mist plants with higher yields and shorter flowering times, but also decreased the calyx-to-leaf ratio and interfered with that sensationally clean sativa high. Hence many Kali Mist lovers were unsatisfied with this revised version, stating that quality would be more important to them than quantity. But this was only one reason that made Simon return to a more sativa dominant pattern again in 1998. The other was that he simply was forced to recompose the Kali Mist strain anew, due to the fact that two breeding gardens of Serious Seeds had been busted at almost the same time and all specimens of Kali Mist`s male parent had been confiscated by the police.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would love to get some pre 98 but this is not an easy task. So I can only go by the 2000 version and I love it. I have never herd anyone complain about the 2000 version.

KindHypnos

Here's a few shots of the 2006version... keep in mind this was my first run with her, so obviously she's far from dialed.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

KH

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got world back from Simon here is his reply.

Hi ,

we know that this is an ongoing discussion, we get questions about it regularly and even have a standard answer on it, see below this. The myth that certain plants have gone extinct because of a raid is certainly untrue, this never was the case with any of our plants.

We have changed the Kali slightly 3 times over the years, all because of reasons of improvement; before '98, between '98 and 2000, and after 2000.
That the present Kali is the same as before '98 is also not true, but the
pre-98 and the present Kali Mist are certainly more similar than the in between version. May be people recognize that and came to the idea it is the same. It is not exactly similar, but not that far away.

This is the standard email we have on the different versions of Kali Mist:

First: The latest news is that Kali Mist won the 1st place in Italy, in june 2008. It was chosen by the italian public, by the people who grew the Kali (and other plants) from seeds. The public choose Kali Mist as the best Sativa seed of 2008!! This was its 4th major award.

The kali is a bybrid between different tropical varieties and a touch of afghani. The plants grown from the seeds show some variation, but are all good with some outstanding ones, so you can choose your own pick. In each bag you'll find very good plants. The kali remains one of the most outstanding plants on the market.

As you know there have been 3 versions of Kali Mist. Somehow the rumour started that the second or first version was better. This is by the way often the case; if something is lost for ever or goes extinct; because of that alone the memory of it seems to grow better over time. (As when people say 'things were better in the past'. This could also be the case in the situation of people who grew or smoked the first Kali some 10 years ago.
Unconsciously and probably against their own will to acknowledge this, the experience becomes better over time in their memory.)

If people cannot trie it anymore it psychologicly seems better than it actually was. I have experienced this myself when returning to some countries I had visited many years before. The weed I tried there again was not as good as it once was. Or so I thought. According to people who lived there all their lives it had not changed in strength or quality at all. This opened my eyes to this unconscious proces.

The last and in my eyes best version of the 3 Kali versions is the last one.
This one is on the market since 1998, and I and several people around me smoked all of the versions. It would be weird to sweep our opinion under the carpet right away. This version has also wun several prices, while the first version won 'just' one cannabis cup. Not that winning prices says everything, but these are the facts, and the facts tell us that many people in several competitions choose the Kali Mist as the best plant. The last version that is.

You are free to draw your own conclusions, and to have your own opinion.
This is not at all meaned to change your opinion, it is just how we see things.

Sincerely,
Simon

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is the Kali Wide leaf Pheno. This is extremely powerful. The thin leaf is good as well. The smell/taste are the same. Buds look completely different. I would half to rate the wide leaf(Indica) as a 10 and the thin leaf(Sativa) an 8. The Wide leaf is a night time smoke it will put you down it also will make you very hungry. This pic the buds have only been curig now for 2 weeks so in 3 months I will get someone else to sample some as I cant handle stuff this strong. This is all 2008 version

picture.php

Q

qanabose

Hammerhead,

those buds look critically lethal! curious to know more about how this indi phen delivers. sounds like a mighty bang n' body and possible head to this girl!

hanging on sampling some!...

Will be looking out for this plus a really good sat phen

Thanx for posting up such excellent sample pics

QB

THC•20

Here is the Kali Wide leaf Pheno. This is extremely powerful. The thin leaf is good as well. The smell/taste are the same. Buds look completely different. I would half to rate the wide leaf(Indica) as a 10 and the thin leaf(Sativa) an 8. The Wide leaf is a night time smoke it will put you down it also will make you very hungry. This pic the buds have only been curig now for 2 weeks so in 3 months I will get someone else to sample some as I cant handle stuff this strong. This is all 2008 version

picture.php

Seems like with either pheno I get I'm in for a treat, although I'm more after a more energetic, clear headed high I wouldn't mind having some of that as well :joint:

I think I'm going to germinate 5 of them as soon as I receive them lol.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You wont be disappointed Kali is an elite strain and will always be in my jars. Out of a 5 pack I got 3 killer girls. I just ordered more Kali and SS.

G

Hammerhead is right on. look at this pheno it smells wonderful. and she has a lot longer to go. but she is nutrient sensitive.and i might hit her with some Epsom salt. but look at the leafs their not like a 90% sativa are they . but what i need to do is do a grow and find a male and good female and cross the 2.thes seeds are from a open pollination of one kalimist and 4 bog sweetc99. so as Sam the skunk man said you want to cross breed the f2 to get Evan better phenos.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts