What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old Hippy Seed Collection "The Jar"

rockymountainJ

Nice thread!!! I'm currently doing a similar project.... don't have a bottle full!!! Hope you finds some goodies in there!! I'm 0 for 5 germ rates so far on my old beans..... going to give them anot her week then try a few more..... anyone have suggestions on popping old beans? Cheers all

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
i soak em in water (with a few drops of hydrogen peroxide, and some superthrive if i got it, sometimes a drop of molasses in there too for sugar/energy) for 24-48 hours to see if they crack sometimes as long as 72 hours. then i stick em in the dirt , keep em moist, and wait. they either come up or they don't. i've had seeds take as long as 2 weeks to pop up on me like magic after i wrote em off.

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
i soak em in water (with a few drops of hydrogen peroxide, and some superthrive if i got it, sometimes a drop of molasses in there too for sugar/energy) for 24-48 hours to see if they crack sometimes as long as 72 hours. then i stick em in the dirt , keep em moist, and wait. they either come up or they don't. i've had seeds take as long as 2 weeks to pop up on me like magic after i wrote em off.
" Some people think that the cane molasses is food for the plant, but that isn’t really true. Plants cannot take up large organic molecules. Complex organic molecules must first be digested by micro-organisms in the soil before they can be taken up by the plant. That’s why certified organic fertilizers are not usually recommended as the sole source of nutrients for hydroponics. More often than not it would just make a muddy mess! But in soil, there are plenty of spaces for micro-organisms to colonize and make their homes, and plant roots are teaming with microbes. So think of it this way: organic fertilizers feed the micro-organisms in the soil, and micro-organisms feed the plant. It’s the same way with the complex carbohydrates in molasses. Plants can’t take up large sugar molecules directly. If and when they do take up complex sugars, plants actually have to expend energy in the process."
http://maximumyield.com/blog/2014/04/01/feeding-your-garden-cane-molasses/

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
We're talking an embryo not a seedling or a plant yet. They need energy to send out the radicle and if it's an old seed then adding enzymes and vitamins and sugars to the water will help it along. I'm sure i read about it in a scientific journal. Google it if you care.

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
You can question the information all you want.....This is me passing you along info, after I have read countless hours, out of countless books. I found a blog that simply explained it quickly, so you and others could grasp the idea without reading tons.

I have many books that explain this....i would recommend teaming with nutrients for starters.....
I'm not trying to argue, or belittle your suggestions that are clearly just experimental stage for you. At this point, that is how you have made it.

just wanted to teach you 101.
If you understood how a plant uptakes nutrients.... You would know I am correct. At this point I'm done with this thread. I'll just be back watching because i wasn't looking for an argument.

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
i don't see the point by posting that link.
Please elaborate.
Seems to be a test done useing sugar factory waste, showing results on effects that can be achieved by dilution during germination, due to its excessive amount of organic matter. It says oil and grease are in the iffluent.
Mind these are chickpea plants...
Ferns will leech arsenic out of soil...

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
i don't see the point by posting that link.
Please elaborate.
Seems to be a test done useing sugar factory waste, showing results on effects that can be achieved by dilution during germination, due to its excessive amount of organic matter. It says oil and grease are in the iffluent.
Mind these are chickpea plants...
Ferns will leech arsenic out of soil...
shows that a tiny amount of sugar (from the runoff water) aided in elongation of the taproot and the first stage after germination and too much had a negative toxic effect. just the first thing i found after a quick search.

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
shows that a tiny amount of sugar (from the runoff water) aided in elongation of the taproot and the first stage after germination and too much had a negative toxic effect. just the first thing i found after a quick search.

Tiny amount of sugar AND High concentrations of organic matter! Read what you posted.
in waste water with sugar,...AND high concentrations of organic matter vs water with nothing

Much different than you showing a test with molasses alone seeing a better germination result.

Molasses in water vs water with nutrients and rooting hormones (iba)added
I bet everything you won't get better results using molasses.
molasses in water= plant wasting atp.
You WILL be expending useful energy if useing molasses directly into water with the seed and hydrogen peroxide alone.
Plants make sugars.....it isn't leeched from soil.....

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
The 100% untreated effluent was found toxic due to the higher concentration availability of potassium, calcium, magnesium, nitrogen, zinc, iron, etc. and higher grease and oil contents and it completely inhibited seed germination.

They are just watering it down. They arent changing the sugar content throughout the test
It just is changing with dilution

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
Plumule, radicle length, number of lateral roots, fresh wt. and dry wt.were increased in different dilutions of treated effluent, while 25%untreated effluent showed inhibition in seedling growth, while 25%untreated and 100% treated effluent showed inhibition in this parameter.Table 2 shows that chlorophyll increased in all the treatments anddecreased in > 25% untreated effluent. The amylase, catalase andperoxidase activity was promoted by the effluent in the treatments.Sugar and protein levels are increased at lower level. Overall the dataemphasized the promotory effect of sugar factory effluent.

i don't like the way all these studies were conducted. they always show that high levels of sugar inhibit seed germination, but their lowest numbers of the sugar solution they used has way more sugar than i would add. none of the tests show the effects of a tiny amount of sugar 1% or less. i believe a tiny amount absorbed in the seed shell will aid in elongation and breaking free of the seed shell. i've had most success in germinating old (10+years) seed with the addition of a tiny amount of sugar. i chose molasses because it was the only unrefined sugar i had at the time. i'm not saying my results are scintific proofs. i was just stating what had helped me and mentioned that i read articles that led me in this direction.

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
i don't like the way all these studies were conducted. they always show that high levels of sugar inhibit seed germination, but their lowest numbers of the sugar solution they used has way more sugar than i would add. none of the tests show the effects of a tiny amount of sugar 1% or less. i believe a tiny amount absorbed in the seed shell will aid in elongation and breaking free of the seed shell. i've had most success in germinating old (10+years) seed with the addition of a tiny amount of sugar. i chose molasses because it was the only unrefined sugar i had at the time. i'm not saying my results are scintific proofs. i was just stating what had helped me and mentioned that i read articles that led me in this direction.
I'll highly consider testing this. Thanks for sharing your results.

Sorry sgs for blowing your thread up with this off topic stuff.

Can't wait to see these old hippy seeds can do!

rockymountainJ

Hey cheers with a bowl, can't we all just get a bong?!?!? Lmfao wasn't trying to get over technical, just asked if anyone had a decent hack I could try... in the end that's what this is about!! Cheers all thanks for the advice.... sure one way or another... one will pop.... 16 yrs later!!

SGS

In The Garden
Veteran
I'll highly consider testing this. Thanks for sharing your results.

Sorry sgs for blowing your thread up with this off topic stuff.

Can't wait to see these old hippy seeds can do!

All good my friend! It was bound to happen as the "How do I get old Seeds to pop" convo would have started sooner than later in this thread!

How about lets get it going in the right direction and find some true fire ways to get them popping and post them up .. i can even edit the first page and put links to the methods and post up the ones we try!

Hey cheers with a bowl, can't we all just get a bong?!?!? Lmfao wasn't trying to get over technical, just asked if anyone had a decent hack I could try... in the end that's what this is about!! Cheers all thanks for the advice.... sure one way or another... one will pop.... 16 yrs later!!

Lets get some real methods flowing... will edit the first page on here and keep all the info in the begining of the thread of what we find that works best.

SGS

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
Cool, I like that idea
http://www.hightimes.com/read/5-tips-germinating-old-seeds

High times-
1. Dilute 10ml (roughly one tsp) of Fulvic acid per litre (33 oz) of water.

2. Scuff the outer shell of the seed with some sand paper. Roll up a small cigar or sand paper or line a match box and gently shake the seeds over it. This will create micro abrasions letting in more water.

3. Use a lightly carbonated water. The extra Co2 will help the water penetrate the seed.

4. Use a light enzyme or seed booster, Plagron Nutrients has a very good one.

5. Finally if all else fails use an Exacto knife to slightly slice the seed open down the spine of the seed. This will make it easier for water to penetrate the shell.

Last edited:

rockymountainJ

All good my friend! It was bound to happen as the "How do I get old Seeds to pop" convo would have started sooner than later in this thread!

How about lets get it going in the right direction and find some true fire ways to get them popping and post them up .. i can even edit the first page and put links to the methods and post up the ones we try!

Lets get some real methods flowing... will edit the first page on here and keep all the info in the begining of the thread of what we find that works best.

SGS

Ok did a test.... 3 old beans, sanded seam of seed soaked in 10to1 h20 h202.... all three popped and have tails after 36hrs.... did 4 new seeds in just water no sanding no h202.. the old beans are the only ones with tails... so not sure if just sanding helped, or if it was the h202... just my experience!!

Latest posts

Latest posts