What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old Hippy Seed Collection "The Jar"

MadR1

An old hippie gave me his jar, not even a quarter as many seeds. To bad he didn't put them in a tightly sealed jar. They all seem to dried out. Even trying with GA, but still none germinating.

Hope you get some great kind!

Wow, be ready for the classic false females that occur in landraces! Female preflowers till week 4 then its balls allover the place! Still I envy
your collection!

SGS

In The Garden
Veteran
picking out the 8 beans tonight and planting them!
They will be put directly into perfectly wet FFOF with no added newts.. they will be giving some fish emulsion feeding at 20% after 2-3 days of germination. I find that it helps old seeds sprout. Update when and if they pop...

SGS

WantMyTreesOG

5 year old seeds kept in a jar? Good Luck maybe, just maybe a few might sprout.

He said since the 80's so those seeds are far older then 5yrs old.
Seeds can last decades if not longer, if kept in the right condition, especially if those seeds were kept in a jar.

SGS

In The Garden
Veteran
The 1st 15

I said forget 8 seeds... far to many different kinds of seeds I couldn't keep my hand from picking "just one more" :laughing:

Going into solo cups to test more in same amount of space,, mainly testing for germination but anything that pops will be grown out and tested fully.

SGS

picture.php

Betterhaff

Veteran
I've found older seeds can take a long time to germinate (if they do at all). I've had older seeds take weeks almost to the point where I forgot about them or just about gave up...and then pop. For some reason top heat seems to help if planted in soil, from a light or the sun. Good luck and if you get any to go it could be an interesting adventure.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
you gonna find a lot of old sativas most likely ..be prepared for some longass flowering times.....yeehaw..seeds that don't germ go into worm bins and sometimes then sprout there later for me...I went through an old film canister of seeds not long ago....didn't find anything spectacular

SGS

In The Garden
Veteran
I've found older seeds can take a long time to germinate (if they do at all). I've had older seeds take weeks almost to the point where I forgot about them or just about gave up...and then pop. For some reason top heat seems to help if planted in soil, from a light or the sun. Good luck and if you get any to go it could be an interesting adventure.

ya ive had the same thing happen before just like Stoned Trout said .. ive had seed pop weeks later after giving up on them and the soil tossed in the waste pile! Its gonna be fun to see what really comes out of these beans.

Im hoping to find a nice variety between anywhere from old skool Sativas to some nice early introduction indicas from back in the day when people starting finding how good they could be for more northern outdoor production... its really gonna be fun if we can get some of these old beans to pop!:biggrin:

SGS

1st 15 are going into soil tomorrow .. will update with a pic.

K

KapnobataiZ

Bro ,i checked this thread for updates everyday since you started it.Hope youre alright.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Posting so I can keep up with this thread. Seeds from all over the U.S., sounds like an awesome find. DOG BUD- it's prolly in there somewhere, lol.

KateJ

Interesting, very interesting. I tend to agree that with him being a hippy and the fact that those seeds date so far back, I would also guess or assume that you will run into a lot of sativa strains. Exciting to see what he may get. Interesting none the less.

SGS

In The Garden
Veteran
Bro ,i checked this thread for updates everyday since you started it.Hope youre alright.

Ya im good bro! got a full area where i want to put them so sorry everyone... I decided to wait until this Veg area is clear so i can put more in at once. I will have a lot more space to test at least 32 in a soilless mix. for germination.. after that they will be grown to clone size then those clones will be flowered quickly just to see what we really have in "The Jar"

They will go into germination in about 10days at the most:tiphat:

Again sorry for the delay ,, Updates will come!

Might even do some 12/12 from seed runs with it.. that way I could get it done even faster and take some cuts super early on as soon as i can or have the possibility to reveg any plants that show promise... but really will take any cuts early on... they will be better then revegging.

What do you guys think?

SGS

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
The 1st 15

I said forget 8 seeds... far to many different kinds of seeds I couldn't keep my hand from picking "just one more" :laughing:

Going into solo cups to test more in same amount of space,, mainly testing for germination but anything that pops will be grown out and tested fully.

SGS

View Image
Any luck on these?

Last edited: