What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old Growers becoming obsolete

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Ah... feed the soil. But not too much so that it doesn't exchange nutrients for sugars from the plant's roots.

So would it make sense to water it only on the circumference and away from the base (a couple feet at maturity) to encourage microbial growth further out from the existing root system?

Hydro8

Looks like this thread got moved to the political section. I'll have to come back when I am angry, when those F%&king kids cut trough my yard again and social security has me on a phone tree hold..

Ready4

Veteran
I'll give the Blackstrap Molasses a shot. When should it be started/stopped?

Good question. First, let us look at what Blackstrap Molasses contains. Nutrition facts on the bottle :

Potassium - 13%
Calcium - 20%
Magnesium - 25%
Iron - 4%

I use in veg & flower. If visible Mag deficiency (IMO) is noticeable, I use a tablespoon in one gallon of water. Otherwise, one teaspoon works just fine. Also works well when cloning.
Good points made about not using too often - good advice for all ferts. Each strain may have different needs for use.
Have seen plants respond very well with use. I think where it really benefits the most is with sativas that are sensitive to Nitrogen.

The plants show no deficiencies/bad effects from using. I water with it just like any other watering, covering the whole area.

Outdoors, not sure. Not worried in the least about any microbial growth, with modest use of all ferts, root growth explodes & results are great here.

The Cal/Mag in hydro stores works well but has N, which can be problematic. Have a Golden Tiger that really enjoys a few feedings.

And while looking at this bottle label, I finally realize there is a recipe for Blackstrap BBQ sauce ! That will be a project for later tonight ! :tiphat:

Last edited:

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
@ Ready4.....I am confused. Are you saying all you use is molasses
and a bit of cal/mag? Am I reading that right? If so I would think you would experience
all kinds of deficiencies.

I use molasses in both veg and flower as a supplement but not a main line of nutes.

I used to know a guy that grew outdoors and all he did was piss on his plants.....Sorry, I wouldn't smoke that....

Ready4

Veteran
@ Ready4.....I am confused. Are you saying all you use is molasses
and a bit of cal/mag? Am I reading that right? If so I would think you would experience
all kinds of deficiencies.

I use molasses in both veg and flower as a supplement but not a main line of nutes.

I used to know a guy that grew outdoors and all he did was piss on his plants.....Sorry, I wouldn't smoke that....

I can see where I did not clarify what I was trying to say correctly, very understandable what was confusing.
I should have stated I have a Golden Tiger that loves a few feedings of Blackstrap Molasses - I do not use Cal/Mag in a bottle, zero need to buy that.

Deficiencies when I pay attention to what is going on, sometimes a little apathy can cause problems lol I use a Tonic fert bloom for soil, in modest amounts. I grow in soil and often re-use soil - the re-used soil has residual ferts, in spite of using none in the last two weeks. Golden Tiger got a little bit of leaf claw but is pulling through just fine.

Spend almost nothing on ferts = keeping it simple is one way us "old" growers can outmode the younger crowd that is pouring needless $$$$ on voodoo hugely overpriced ferts ! :tiphat:

St. Phatty

Looks like this thread got moved to the political section. I'll have to come back when I am angry, when those F%&king kids cut trough my yard again and social security has me on a phone tree hold..

Well, I'm an older grower and I read Nixon's autobiography.

He is quite a salesman. I read that book and came away thinking, "what a great guy !"

As far as older growers becoming obsolete, I think the overall amount of Cannabis being consumed will stay about the same. Referring to the free-market and the black (corporate) market, combined.

The corporate market needs what the older growers know, but I think a lot of older growers preferred the freedom of the free market and the early medical markets.

So the corporate/black operations bring in younger growers who aren't as put off by the new sets of rules.

Klompen

so..... you'll smoke plants grown with blood, bones, cow crap, poultry crap, rotten feathers, and other decaying materials, and maybe even use inorganic salts full of heavy metals; but urine is crossing a line?

packerfan79

Veteran
I used 1 teaspoon per gallon. Molasses is a good source of sulfur. Sulfur = smell. It's a good flower enhancer, and a good source of carbohydrates. I used it to replace overhyped overpriced carboload, fuck advanced nutrients junk. I only used it in soil during flower

Ready4

Veteran
I used 1 teaspoon per gallon. Molasses is a good source of sulfur. Sulfur = smell. It's a good flower enhancer, and a good source of carbohydrates. I used it to replace overhyped overpriced carboload, fuck advanced nutrients junk. I only used it in soil during flower

Good idea regarding the sulfur. The Brer Rabbit Blackstrap Molasses I have been using is unsulphured .
Sulphured and Unsulphured Molasses. Molasses made from young sugar cane is called sulphured molasses because of the sulfur dioxide that is added to keep the raw cane fresh until it is processed and to preserve the molasses byproducts produced from it. ... Blackstrap molasses can be sulphured or unsulphured.

Also tonight at the Kroger, I took a look at Grandmas Molasses - this had a much lower Magnesium & Calcium content than the Brer Rabbit. I did recall that I had to go to the nearby health food store to get the Brer Rabbit. I may get some Sulphured molasses while there and try that out also.

packerfan79

Veteran
Good idea regarding the sulfur. The Brer Rabbit Blackstrap Molasses I have been using is unsulphured .
Sulphured and Unsulphured Molasses. Molasses made from young sugar cane is called sulphured molasses because of the sulfur dioxide that is added to keep the raw cane fresh until it is processed and to preserve the molasses byproducts produced from it. ... Blackstrap molasses can be sulphured or unsulphured.

Also tonight at the Kroger, I took a look at Grandmas Molasses - this had a much lower Magnesium & Calcium content than the Brer Rabbit. I did recall that I had to go to the nearby health food store to get the Brer Rabbit. I may get some Sulphured molasses while there and try that out also.

I used a few different brands. Botanicare had an unsulphered black strap, it was cheaper than the brands you get at the grocery store. It was like 10-12 bucks on Amazon for 1/2 gallon. I tried a high brix molasses I didn't see the same results. It could have been other factors, or bad memory. I have been thinking about going back to the recipe I used in soil. Coco is great and yields awesome, but the soil bud was tastier. At some point I will go with a water only soil.

This forum will always be relevant with the right "crowd". When I started into this hobby, I pinged all over the place via google. Lots of other forums were read and good old icmag was the place I kept coming back to. It had to do with the "old growers" and their wealth of experience that was freely shared. It also helps that the moderators dont put up with bullshit and actually shut down most of the troublemakers. Coming up as a welder, the older generation of welders knew all the dirty tricks and easy ways. Same here with growing. You just have to be willing to listen, and filter out the occasional bit of ego related tall tales!

Ready4

Veteran
Very common for people who are getting "older" to feel "outmoded". Technology rapidly advances but surely not everything "new & improved" is so.

We do not have to feel this way, it is often a matter of perspective. For example, imagine if you had a buggy company when cars started being mass produced. Shoe & boot repair used to be a very good business to run. Appliance repair & TV repair used to be great businesses. Learning drafting was a desirable skill.
I have gotten frustrated over certain things that passed me by - but these things can be learned & solved, we do not have to feel "outmoded". As we have gotten older, there is often less interaction with our peers or our peers are also behind on updating knowledge. Recently, I had a tablet ( which I never use) demand a password - I had no damn idea as I never created one. I was going to call one of my sons, then I remembered how he really hates how his mom ( ex wife) constantly asks him how to do everything. So I just started searching on the net and .... bingo ! Solved the problem without paying anybody or asking anybody. There are endless You-tubes people have created for virtually everything = you can do it yourself and save $$$$. Much of the so-called recent "technology" with these damn un-smart phones is not that special lol.

So.. do not feel "outmoded", take the initiative and just learn it - it will be rewarding when you do.
And as far as moving forward with growing, I bought a 315 watt CHM light a couple years ago and find it is far better than HPS lamps. There is a awesome post on here where a large grower runs a side-by-side of 630w CHM lights against 1,000w HPS with a grow of Pineapple Chunk. He was so impressed by the superior end results of the 630w CHM that is switching to all CHM lights. Well worth checking out.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Great thread
Old growers will never become obsolete, experience should always be valued... i always thought if someone has been growing since before I was an itch in my dads nutsack, they’re probably worth listening to.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
so..... you'll smoke plants grown with blood, bones, cow crap, poultry crap, rotten feathers, and other decaying materials, and maybe even use inorganic salts full of heavy metals; but urine is crossing a line?

You are absolutely right my friend. Some don't like spiders, some don't like snakes, others aren't afraid of anything. I love a good fillet but wouldn't eat human flesh....just me....maybe stupid but me.

You can piss up a rope but don't piss on my pot.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can't imagine a time when we wouldn't be valuable as teachers. Since the invention of the new fangled internets, there's been an upsurge in 'self learning'. I'm in the music biz IRL, and I'm always getting asked by young pianists if they can learn to play well by watching youtube videos and synesthesia and what not. Piano is not a new thing, it's been around for a while and the curriculum is well understood, so teachers tend to go with methods they learned. New players are convinced that there's something else there, that they can find some short cut and learn to play La Campagnella in a few months, but that never works out. It's not that they can't ever learn on their own, it's a matter of speed. With a teacher, you progress SO much faster there can be no comparison.

I compare it to crossing a river in the dark by jumping from stone to stone. The teacher has night vision goggles and can say, "turn a little to the left...now just a bit more, there. Now jump!" We can't even see the stone we're jumping to, and would never make the jump, much less even try, on our own. With a teacher, we can cross the river.

The internets are temporarily upside down. I for one, believe that it's an extension of the library and search engines are the card file. Many people think it is an advertising platform, which is the opposite of the way it actually works. The internet is made for finding things, not for advertising them. It was designed with dissemination of knowledge in mind, and I think we'll get around to that, sooner or later. When that time comes, people will search out the teachers that can speed up their learning curve rather than spending decades bashing around at amature level.

Just my 2c.

Klompen

You are absolutely right my friend. Some don't like spiders, some don't like snakes, others aren't afraid of anything. I love a good fillet but wouldn't eat human flesh....just me....maybe stupid but me.

You can piss up a rope but don't piss on my pot.

Well if it makes you feel any better, I won't recommend anyone pee directly on their plants! I've never had better results than when I've used urine, but if you don't know what you're doing with it you can definitely fry plants.

I'm guessing you wouldn't be much of a fan of Milorganite either! Its literally a product of sewage. I've never seen anyone try it on pot, but I bet someone has. I definitely draw a line on that sort of thing personally, because people dump all manner of different stuff down drains.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Well if it makes you feel any better, I won't recommend anyone pee directly on their plants! I've never had better results than when I've used urine, but if you don't know what you're doing with it you can definitely fry plants.

I'm guessing you wouldn't be much of a fan of Milorganite either! Its literally a product of sewage. I've never seen anyone try it on pot, but I bet someone has. I definitely draw a line on that sort of thing personally, because people dump all manner of different stuff down drains.

You mean like growth hormones, vicodin and prozac and shit?

Man tits anyone?

Latest posts

Latest posts