What's new

Old Age

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I do thc for my mind. It doesn’t help with the pain. I’m just in a better mood. I mostly only feel pain when I’m not moving , overweight, and/or out of shape. It takes strong muscles to support weak bones.. Couch lock can be a problem. If I stay busy , I don’t dwell on it as much.
I do wear a compression sleeve. Sometimes with a glove. It helps me with inflammation and carpel tunnel.
Compression sleeves and compression socks make a big difference. I stay moving as much as I can and that helps a lot. Went on a long bike ride today. I'm going to keep going as long as I can.

Hermanthegerman

Veteran
ce343183ad682d39f1dd395dcf36b8a6.jpg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Gawd. You guys are starting to depress me. Resist! :rasta:
Just being a truthful friend. Old age is something different for each person. Some people suffer more than others and each person's old age can be different because of individual conditions. The biggest mistake I used to make with old people is to dichotomize them into a group thinking everyone is the same.

I have two friends that live across the st. one is 68 and can't stand for more than 5 minutes at a time without suffering. The other friend is 87 years old and refuses to quit working at his job doing manual labor. The first guy is mad all the time and hateful and the other is happy-go-lucky most of the time. It's interesting seeing the different types of people and how they are dealing with their personal OLD AGE.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

- Dylan Thomas

St. Phatty

Just being a truthful friend. Old age is something different for each person. Some people suffer more than others and each person's old age can be different because of individual conditions. The biggest mistake I used to make with old people is to dichotomize them into a group thinking everyone is the same.

I have two friends that live across the st. one is 68 and can't stand for more than 5 minutes at a time without suffering. The other friend is 87 years old and refuses to quit working at his job doing manual labor. The first guy is mad all the time and hateful and the other is happy-go-lucky most of the time. It's interesting seeing the different types of people and how they are dealing with their personal OLD AGE.

They just have to teach the women that do outreach work for Jehovah's Witnesses to give Blow Jobs.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor

I see the same division in my circle of older friends and neighbours. Some are so consumed by their own real or perceived problems that they have all but ceased to live. They have created a rut that they exist in, that is so deep that they have stopped looking out. Others do the exact opposite and start every morning at a run, maintaining a schedule that would be exhausting for a 20 year old - probably driven by a deep fear that if they slow down, they will wither and die. So, as I hurtle towards 70, my body is often screaming at me to be reasonable and just accept the seemingly inevitable sedentary option. It would be really easy to get a bevy of Pharma goodies from my doc, order up a Lazy Boy and settle in to spend my days channel surfing for a daily dose of The Price Is Right. But my brain says no. Resist. So I do.

St. Phatty

I see the same division in my circle of older friends and neighbours. Some are so consumed by their own real or perceived problems that they have all but ceased to live. They have created a rut that they exist in, that is so deep that they have stopped looking out. Others do the exact opposite and start every morning at a run, maintaining a schedule that would be exhausting for a 20 year old - probably driven by a deep fear that if they slow down, they will wither and die. So, as I hurtle towards 70, my body is often screaming at me to be reasonable and just accept the seemingly inevitable sedentary option. It would be really easy to get a bevy of Pharma goodies from my doc, order up a Lazy Boy and settle in to spend my days channel surfing for a daily dose of The Price Is Right. But my brain says no. Resist. So I do.

It got a lot more difficult during Covid19.

I lost my housecleaner and landscaper in July 2020. They were subsisting on the $40 an hour they made, but work dried up during the lockdown.

Travis shot Julie. He then drove her to the hospital, where she died. He is in prison.

The effect of the mis-management of Covid19 was very real.

It was sort of like the 1989 earthquake. People were already living on the edge stress-wise in the SF Bay Area, and then 1 major bridge and a few highways are shut down.

So it got super-stressful for a while, if you tried to continue with the 40 hour work-week. A 1 hour commute became 3 hour commute.

A similar thing happened during Covid19.

For sure the January 6 riots were affected by the fact that Americans had been locked down for 9 months.

The Democrats & Repugs are unable to tell the truth about their gross GROSS GROSS mis-management of Covid19.

One of the results of Travis & Julie becoming unavailable, my house is really really messy. I only have so much time and prioritize wildfire stuff and gardening stuff.