What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old Age

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Old age is new to me and it is starting to be somewhat difficult. I know a few of you may be over the hill like me and can share some tips on dealing with old age. What are the pros and cons of old age? How is it affecting you and how are you coping with old age? Has smoking weed help you with old age or has it made breathing difficult? What have you given up that you miss the most as you age? Is old age depressing or enlightening? Please take the time to help me and others learn how to turn old age into something positive. Thank you, Friends. 😎

St. Phatty

This is the first year I've ever NOT made the mistake of writing the previous year's date, at least once, while writing a check.

Cannabis is VERY HELPFUL for dealing with old age pains like Arthritis.

If you're an Arthropod, you will eventually know what Arthritis means - if you live that long.

About 20 years ago I shared the weight room with a retired full-contact fighter from the 70's, "Chuck Elwyn".

He was 6'6" and spent ten years in federal prison.

When he got out of prison, he moved to San Diego and found a rich white woman who was looking for a white guy with a big dick.

They lived in Rancho Santa Fe, and I lived in Encinitas, which meant we shared the same gym.

I used the Smith Press to do high-bar leg stretches, and Chuck used mostly free weights.

In between sessions he explained HIS version of arthritis.

Using his hands and feet as clubs for 20 years had a cost. REALLY REALLY painful arthritis.

Strange though that I didn't ask him if he used Cannabis for his arthritis.

buzzmobile

Veteran
I am 70 and I have slowed down. I do not work as long as I used to a few years ago but I do work hard. My back especially the lower back is what causes me the most issues with pain and limitation of activities. I miss playing golf. I was not very good and I celebrated breaking 100, but I truly miss the solid shot that kept me coming back. The large garden I used to plant is also no longer a thing.

I enjoy not having a schedule and an afternoon nap. I smoke two to three fat joints per day. My breathing has been affected but not to the point of being winded with exertion. This morning I dug out an old compost pile and spread it around the yard. This afternoon I'm feeling every bit of what I did this morning so I smoked another joint. Ah! ...that helped.

I got to watch a large flock of cedar waxwings flying in and out of the holly hedge today. They were feasting on holly berries that I planted about 27 years ago. The days pass quickly and time speeds up, but there are only two days to keep track of:
Today and The Other Day. Everyone knows that Tomorrow never comes. The other day I saw a quail in the backyard.

I find that aging is depressing, challenging, wonderful, enlightening, puzzling, comforting and painful, not necessarily in that order. I do not wish I was younger.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
smoking makes sleeping easier, but i don't have the tolerance i once did. which saves me money, lol. high CBD helped with the arthritis, and i now mix CBD weed with good stuff. they moderate each other in some ways. "depressing or enlightening ? " yes, it is. there is a good and bad side to every coin. my memory slips now and then, but i find that much of what i forget, i didn't want to do to begin with. this has been true for most of my life, i think...:whistling:
I do not wish I was younger.
i DO wish that parts of me were younger...:dunno:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I turn 69 on my next birthday. Getting older is way better than the alternative. I am today the best I will be for the rest of my life, cause the slope is slippery and getting steeper, and this may last another 20+years. I have way too much that I need to do that ain't getting done fast enough, and the physical work is harder.

Hiring help has gotten tougher too because nobody wants to fuckin work. I know a tree guy though who smokes... barter to the rescue.

I have been cutting up and piling huge trees the guy cut down and chopped into 15' sections. 2-3' diameter, 100' tall trees. Discover diesel and hydraulics and your life gets easier. Still hurts though.

One way to help feel and act young is find a kid to mentor, and spend the time to really get involved with them, which will mean lots of play type activities. Or find a neighbor who doesn't have time to exercise their dawg and adopt it for a couple hours and go play. Both are good for the soul.

If you drink too much, that is an additional drag on what time and health you have left. Letting them jab you every time they want is also an additional drag.

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Just for the record doctors are not sticking anything up my behind or down my throat. I'm not taking anything they are giving and am non-compliant when it comes to caring about what they say. Some doctors can be harmful to my health so I stay away from them. I have a lot of gratitude for not having to see them. When it's time to die, I will die and not allow a Dr save me. The reason is no one can save an old man from dying because all old men die.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Just for the record doctors are not sticking anything up my behind or down my throat. I'm not taking anything they are giving and am non-compliant when it comes to caring about what they say. Some doctors can be harmful to my health so I stay away from them. I have a lot of gratitude for not having to see them. When it's time to die, I will die and not allow a Dr save me. The reason is no one can save an old man from dying because all old men die.
Many states in the USA accept Living Wills. Requirements vary by state. They are not foolproof but they can prevent "lifesaving measures" from being performed when I am dying. My wife and I have both filed ours with our physicians, and we have prearranged cremations.

BudToaster

Veteran
i will be 75 in 5 days. have been using a vaporizer for the last 23 years - my own design and build ... no suitable all glass, computer temperature controlled vape available commercially.

NordicTrack skier for aerobics for 40 years @ 5 days a week, bowflex for resistance training for 10 years @ 3 to 4 times per week. some calisthenics and stretching that totally handles lower back pain. low carb/high fat/real food for the last 4 years which has been the final piece of the puzzle for good health - mental and physical.

downside - after 55+ years of typing my hands are arthritic - both little fingers are bent, so touch typing is more error prone last several years.

in retrospect - aerobics and cannabis for the win. i can avoid doctors since i don't take meds - except dentist, eye guy, and skin checker. i can still get a boner on demand. i identify as male-type person.

my goal is to die in my own bed.

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
Good idea for a thread Creeperpark!

Going older is nothing for cowards! Is a title of a book and it´s true I think.

In Germany we had a song titled: "I don´t wanna be what my father is", but now I see him every day when I look in the mirror. :) A little bit strange, as older I get as more I look like my father? Do you know this also?

I don´t feel mentaly like 58, but my body is playing tricks on me. Before 3 years it started with a little illnes here and a little illnes there, but thanks god no pain!

What belongs to weed or hash, it gave me more lifetime I think. Some friends of my childhood and juvenile days were dieing the last years, mostly they drank to much, without weed I maybe had drunk also more?

Sometimes I wonder, who is the old woman on the other sofa? :) My greatest luck in life is my wife, we are together since 43 years. We came together as we were in the cinema, watching "Rocky Horror Picture Show".

Last edited:

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
Old age, 40 years ago

FB_IMG_1677788274162.jpg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Somewhere in the past years, I did a turnaround in my thinking and perception. Instead of seeing things as permanent, I now see everything as impermanent. I feel like I have been fooled by the first part of my life with delusions of permanence. Now that I know the truth, I'm letting go of everything because I'm getting ready. Who knows,

Maybe this is just a physical dream and we will wake up someday.