What's new

ok krusty

I keep wondering what could possibly be on the ground that Nitrous wanted to coverup with Photoshop.

Hmmmm -

/me scratches his head and hands Krusty another Strawberry Margueritta.

~SYK~

Wondering why you think that is TOO MUCH soaker hose Krusty?

I know you ahve mentioned before to aim for 18" but why not more if the pump can handle it?

Lemme Know

syk

G

SYK: i originally tried it with too many loops and removed them and redid them after testing. that's an old photo, so i edited out the extra loops to show how i do it now.

krusty: yeah, i used the 1gallon pot the first time i did it, then i wanted more space in the bottom bucket for roots. as you pointed out in a post long ago, the roots just keep growing round and round in a circle with a spacer bucket. i figured i would make more room in the bottom bucket for the roots to grow figuring it would help out some how. i don't know if it has.

here is a pic of what it looks like a day or 2 after harvest. the green algea was a result of using white drain fittings, letting light in.

1101root1.jpg

krusty

hmmm

with the size of yer plants i can see why yas want as much room as possible for roots...

if your roots were more discolored near the exposure to some light then i would agree...

but hoenstly i dont think yer problem was light....and you said that your res temp never gets over 69 F...

your root ball looks very compact....it shoudl look more like angle hairs and lots of space between.....

what kinda food are you ussing again?

SYK - the more soaker hose you have...the less pressure you will end up with....if you have alot of exposed area/lots of soaker hose the pump will not provide enough cfm to push extreme air thru....

i tried different amounts over theyears..and i found a very tight pattern arround the 1 gallon bucket works best for me:/

hmmm...ya nitro i keep looking at yer pix...something is purty screwed up there....you might be right about the light ...i just find it hard there wasnt a pattern where it was werse near the light...

i noticed with friends who ussed white buckets the area facing more direct light had more color in the roots so i figured if you have just a small 2 inch hole that for sure the area near this hole would have alot of color:/

peace

krusty

Originally posted by |\|!tr0u$
SYK: i originally tried it with too many loops and removed them and redid them after testing. that's an old photo, so i edited out the extra loops to show how i do it now.

Ohhh - yeah - you can tell now if you look - silly stoned me.

lol

Last edited:

Greenja

Thanks nitrous for the pic. I use krusty's design in that the soaker hose is weaved in and out of lower 1 gal. bucket. But man, your root pic shows signif. larger rootball than my last grow for sure! So to me, they look good.

greenja

G

well that pic was taken about a day or maybe 2 after the plant had been chopped, so it started to discolor, thats where the red/brown color comes from, plus a little staining from the lava dust building up in the bottom bucket.

not much light really gets to the floor areas, the canopy usually blocks most of it, but a little gets through those plumbing fittings... they're not strong opaque white, they're kinda translucent which is why i have foil in my current pics to cover up

this is GH nutes with of course some GH additives

G

floralicious bloom and grow.
diamond nectar according to the chart below.
kool bloom a little more than they recommend.
CHI foliar spray... more last grow than this grow for testing reasons.
rare earth a little bit

gh feed chart

Dollar

Awesome setup Nitrous. I have been using this Freedom System for 3 grows now and I`m starting the 4th. I had the same idea as you. Using larger drain fittings and 3" ABS tubing run back to the res. I use 1 1/4" drain fittings found at my local hardware store and use this cheap sump pump hose found at Home Depot for $5 and ya get a whole 24 feet. Kinda adapted this bucket with tips from Hurtbacks threads at OG. No matter what I did the roots grew into the drain fitting and it was getting annoying having to pull the plants out and unclog the drain. I also came up with a way to move the buckets back and forth without damaging the roots. I mount the lower 1 gallon pot to the upper 5 gallon bucket leave a little slack for the drip ring and air line. The roots move with the lower bucket and I saw no damage at last harvest. By moving the bucket back and forth the roots never really get a a chance to grow out the drain at least in my experience. I had a bit larger harvest but it could have been because I`m finally dialing in the system. Worked great on the last grow with absolutely no problems. Here`s a couple pics of my bucket setup. Best of luck to all tree growers and a BIG Thank YOU to Krusty.

1234Image050.jpg

1234Image002.jpg

1234Image015.jpg

1234Image020.jpg

1234Image045.jpg

Last edited:

krusty

purty sweet guys....

i havent really looked at other folks threads at OG or anywhere for that matter in awhile...
but i see you guys taking this shit and putting your own little touch into the system....and it looks like some sweet ideas....

first time in a decade i actually feel i am among folks at my level.....sorry but most of the time i feel as tho people are idiots ...at least folks in real life...

but you guys are really stepping up the game a bit i see...

thers is some things i dont like but i think you guys also see those probs and are dealing with them

but my hats off.....some great ideas n stuff

i think we all went thru probs with roots clogging up the drain....i think the best bet is to simply design a screen that will fit over the hole thru and basically filter out the rootsthis si why i liek the idea of having the drain ont he bottom of the bucket also......

i put the drain on the bototm of the buckets so that i can place the upside down 1 gallon ontop fo the drain...the roots dont seem to grow inot the 1 gallon....i dont think they actually can fit anywhere...but i also think it is cause the roots tend to grow outwards and not in:/ not sure tho

peace

krusty

Greenja

no doubt k, some great ideas guys.

i've one concern though that i noticed. i tapped my airs manifold, and installed a 2ft. diam piece of soaker hose for my res. Worked great at first, but now, 5wks into flower, the hose is almost totally occluded, very little air is coming out. and this is in clean rez nuts...wonder how worse it is in bottom buckets??

though don't have any better ideas...and i did mine exactly like dollars as well.

G

dollar thats a good idea to attach 'em so you can spin those upper buckets to get even lighting.

what do you mean by 'back and forth?'

greenja: that shit used to happen to me and it sucks. it seems that the new stuff at wal-mart doesn't do it though

G

I got soaker in my resy also, and also it plugged up, as was my soaker in the buckets, so solve the problem I tried this.

I added some filter material to my return line, so nutes are filtered as they fall back into resy, and put my pump into a filter covered net pot on the bottom of my resy, then my soaker hose stop plugging up all the time. It's kinda silly looking but working very well.

krusty

couple things..

i clean my passive/active res between each weekly cycle of nutes...

i only run the nutes 5 days on....2 days off:)

but without cleaning you end up with huge calcium build up...i think its calcium...but anyhoo you get "krustys" in yer res....

when i mean clean i drain it fully...scrub it with a rubbermaid little brush...rinse it...scrub it again...rinse it ...then vacuum clean

i will clean each filter...the one prior to the pump which is cleaned simply by rinsing under hot water....then i got a micro filter that i use a toothbrush on and scrub it clean

i have had my soaker hose last me 6 crops....

and i have checked it periodically and it never clogs up....at least i have never ad this problem...

but when plants are small i also again take each lava bucket off the hole thru bucket and do the same rinse...scrub...rinse...scrub...rinse...vaccum til it is spotless

once the plant is about 18 inches tall i leave the buckets alone

cleanliness is next to godliness or however you say that crap:)

but ya....the res is ususally the dirty place since everything is filtered in the feed lines the return lines bring out all the crap inot the res...

which is good.....damn good place to be able to clean it out:)

peace

krusty

Greenja

Yup, betcha that's my problem then. I have only a large pond like foam filter on the pump's intake only. But I DO also clean out the act and pass rez's w/ my weekly flush as well...just not a total drain and I leave some micro particles in there. Seems like if get the active totally clean w/ ea. flush, and put some more filters in....like maybe a women's hose? on the return line, and the small circulation pump in the rez as well.

But yeah, when I had the lava rock setup krusty, i too noticed alot of small particle buildup in the bottom bucket. something to make note of for sure next run.

thx for the hints guys!!

greenja

krusty

dewd...

you cant even leave as much as 50 ppm werth of nutes in the system when you do yer weekly flush...

doesnt sound as tho yer doing this.....you have to give them 24 hours of NO NUTRIENTS....NOTTE>>>NONE!!!!

this is the whole point of a weekly flush...to detoxify the plants...this is why any of the soil/outdoor growers who talk shit about hydroponics truely dont understand hydroponics.....this is the one thing we have when gorwwing hydrponically is the ability to truely detoxify the plants...to clean them out of all chemcials.....because with soil or any other sorta of organic medium the plants wil always be in contact with chemicals..

also you cant use some pantyhose or whatever as afilter...you need a propper micro filter..

I thought this was like common sense or just the basicas....i had no clue any of you guys werent running propper inline micro filters....you MUST use these....again this isnt just to keep the lines clean but it is also to filter out shit reaching the plants...

anyhoo

peace

krusty

Latest posts

Latest posts