What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ogre's DIY Ebb & Grow / Multi-Flow Controller Tutorial

dtfsux

Yes I know, no timer

It has been a while and like I already said, I had several of these running. 9 to be exact. No timer just a set of switches,relay and a pump to pump back to a rez. I also built this controller but used a different timer and added a relay to make the timer work.

When the timer turns on and off it sends power to one set of relays since it is Double throw. Understand? You do understand the timer in this DIY is a DP and sends power to one of the relays at all times based on its on or off position. That way the flood outlet is active at the right time, and the drain outlet is active at the right time

^^^^ That is more FYI so you have an understanding of how this works

Since you want power 24/7 the wires that should attach to the timer, should go to a 120 outlet instead(or your local voltage)

Replace TIMER in your instructions with 120 outlet.

AGAIN, take that black and white wire that should attach to the timer, put a MALE plug with the metal prongs on them, and stick it into an outlet

So instead of the relay being activated at certain times by the timer, the relay is always active. The pump wont run, but the relay will be ready 24/7 and will activate the outlet when the switches raise

Sorry if I am not clear, do not know how to make myself any clearer

Lizard Fish

^^^^ That is more FYI so you have an understanding of how this works

Since you want power 24/7 the wires that should attach to the timer, should go to a 120 outlet instead(or your local voltage)

Replace TIMER in your instructions with 120 outlet.

AGAIN, take that black and white wire that should attach to the timer, put a MALE plug with the metal prongs on them, and stick it into an outlet

So instead of the relay being activated at certain times by the timer, the relay is always active. The pump wont run, but the relay will be ready 24/7 and will activate the outlet when the switches raise

Sorry if I am not clear, do not know how to make myself any clearer

I appreciate your help in this matter but I am not quite catching your drift. There is already power coming from the power cord as the directions in the original article state. I dont think i need to add a second power cord. I am posting a couple pics from the original tutorial to help make things clearer, and to show exactly what i am having problems with.

In the first photo of the float wires, The wires are as follows from left to right.

Timer slot 4.....I did not connect it to anything
Relay A #5......Connected
Relay A #6......Connnected
Relay A #7......Connected
Relay A #3......Connected

I figured the wire that should go to timer slot 4 will connect to the white power line.

Now for the part that has me stumped.

The second photo shows the power cord. and i will describe them from top down.
Green wire to outlets.....Connnected
Black power cable has two disconnects and these should be attached to Timer slot 5 & 1..
White wire (top) Timer Slot #2......Not connected.
White wire Relay A #8.............Connected
White wire Relay B #8.............left out, not using second relay.
White wire Bare End, should go to receptacle.....not connected yet.

Should i attach the wire that goes to timer slot #4 directly to the white power cable, and then group that with the white wire that goes to the receptacles?

My biggest problem is where to connect The black power cable with the two disconnects. I have no idea where these should be connected..

Attachments

• floatwires.jpg
    floatwires.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 37
  • powercord.jpg
    powercord.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 32

dtfsux

I appreciate your help in this matter but I am not quite catching your drift. There is already power coming from the power cord as the directions in the original article state. I dont think i need to add a second power cord. I am posting a couple pics from the original tutorial to help make things clearer, and to show exactly what i am having problems with.

In the first photo of the float wires, The wires are as follows from left to right.

Timer slot 4.....I did not connect it to anything CONNECT THIS TO THE BLACK WIRE FROM THE WALL. OK YOU DONT NEED A SECOND POWER CORD BUT THIS SHOULD BE A CONSTANT HOT. MAKE SURE THIS IS ATTCHED TO THE BLACK
WIRE FROM THE WALL

Relay A #5......Connected
Relay A #6......Connnected
Relay A #7......Connected
Relay A #3......Connected

I figured the wire that should go to timer slot 4 will connect to the white power line. WRONG. BLACK WIRE

Now for the part that has me stumped.

The second photo shows the power cord. and i will describe them from top down.
Green wire to outlets.....Connnected
Black power cable has two disconnects and these should be attached to Timer slot 5 & 1.YOU DONT NEED THESE. THESE POWER THE TIMER AND SWITCHING MECHANISM
White wire (top) Timer Slot #2......Not connected.YOU DONT NEED THIS. IT IS THE NEUTRAL USED TO COMPLETE THE CLOCKS TIMING MECHANISM CIRCUIT
White wire Relay A #8.............Connected
White wire Relay B #8.............left out, not using second relay.
White wire Bare End, should go to receptacle.....not connected yet.

Should i attach the wire that goes to timer slot #4 directly to the white power cable, and then group that with the white wire that goes to the receptacles? NOPE GOES TO BLACK WIRE FROM WALL

My biggest problem is where to connect The black power cable with the two disconnects. I have no idea where these should be connected.THEY DONT GET CONNECTED ANYWHERE.

Remember what I said, we are removing the timer, and swapping it with a constant power source. The timer tells the relay when to be active. Only one relay is active at a time. When the timer turns on, that means its feeding time and the res pump should turn on so it powers the relay the relay attached to the res pump.

The timer in this DIY has a few connections. One pair is hot and neutral to power the clock. Then I think one hot to the relay side, and two outputs. One of those outputs is always hot.

I know you dont have a timer. But do you have ANY understanding of how this controller works or electricity or relays? If you dont, thats cool.

Just remember this, all we are doing is removing the timer and substituting a constant power source. SO power the relay and forget all the other timer connections.

I used to know this like the back of my hand but it has been almost a year. I am pretty sure the connections I am telling you are dead on

Lizard Fish

Remember what I said, we are removing the timer, and swapping it with a constant power source. The timer tells the relay when to be active. Only one relay is active at a time. When the timer turns on, that means its feeding time and the res pump should turn on so it powers the relay the relay attached to the res pump.

The timer in this DIY has a few connections. One pair is hot and neutral to power the clock. Then I think one hot to the relay side, and two outputs. One of those outputs is always hot.

I know you dont have a timer. But do you have ANY understanding of how this controller works or electricity or relays? If you dont, thats cool.

Just remember this, all we are doing is removing the timer and substituting a constant power source. SO power the relay and forget all the other timer connections.

I used to know this like the back of my hand but it has been almost a year. I am pretty sure the connections I am telling you are dead on

Hey dude, thanks for your help, I actually figured it out while laying in bed thinking last night, came up with the same conclusion as you, What was confusing me was the color of the wires. I used a white wire like the instructions said for the line that goes to timer number four slot. It confused me into thinking that it should not be connected to the black hot wire. I am going to make the final connections and i will let you know how it turns out.

Kovo

Orsm thread Orgre i was wondering tho i live in australia and can only get hold hold of a DPDT 12V DC Relay
Contact Current (max): 5A @ 120V AC, Contact Voltage (max): 120VAC, Coil Voltage (nom):12V DC, Coil Resistance:280 ohms, Operating Time (typical):10ms, Release Time (typical): 7ms.

will that relay be alright? also i'm havin trouble finding a timer thats suitable can any of the uk guys point me in the right direction? cheers

BIGGERBUD

Top build im no spark but that all sounded well straight forward, would sure be easier than other diy units i've seen. I think the horizontall float switches are the icing on the cake.

Cheers Ogre, top tutorial......

phate

Veteran
wewt! here is mine.... i am stoked. no more hand watering!!!!!

Attachments

• DSCF3187.jpg
    DSCF3187.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF3189.jpg
    DSCF3189.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 38
thanks OgreSeeker for the awsome info.

Q.
Vs DWC, Which system would be more stealth from a noise level, do these pumps vibrate and or make a lot of noise as they are switching on/off.

HydroNut

Can someone enlighten me as to what the lamp cord is used for? I see it on the materials list, but I don't see anywhere in the tutorial as what to do with it.

HydroNut

thanks OgreSeeker for the awsome info.

Q.
Vs DWC, Which system would be more stealth from a noise level, do these pumps vibrate and or make a lot of noise as they are switching on/off.

The pumps that I have are very quiet; however if you put the bucket on the second floor. The people right below it will hear a very slight hum.

I have my timer set to turn on @ 7:00 and shut off @7:10 and as I was getting ready for work this morning @7:40 I could hear the hum and knew something had to be wrong. Sure enough I went upstairs and my pump was running. I had to manually shut it off. I think I may have a defective timer.

potwarrior

sorry to bring up old thread, but i was wondering if anyone has built this w/ a digital timer? i believe luke asked the q but no one replied and im about to build this too but would like a digital timer.

so if anyone has done it (with digital timer) please post detailed instructions and/or part number of the digital timer.

thanks
PW

MBlock

I am trying to adapt this for an outdoors aquaponic system and I am curious about making this without the time. Any ideas on who the wiring design would change?!

mrgoldmund

Four years in, and my first controller is still working like a champ. Never a single hiccup with it. Just finished up building my second controller for a new system, was really happy to see this thread alive and kicking. Great work on a kick ass guide Ogre!

OgreSeeker

Thanks! Still here...still safe. Still lurking and creepin around the weedwebs :)
To everyone who gave me props, thank you. To those of you who asked questions that never got answered, I apologize for going AWAL. Sometimes paranoia gets the best of me. :yoinks:
The controller that was built for this thread was used for about 3 years then was gifted to a buddy. It's still going strong today.

Take care and grow large my friends.

Latest posts

Latest posts