What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ogre's DIY Ebb & Grow / Multi-Flow Controller Tutorial

But I printed the 1st page out (90+ pages in landscape) and took it with me

wow, i am awake and everything is so much clearer to me, except why did you you print in landscape. I have never tried printing as forum in landscape.

i am going to go try building one to your specs with a digital timer and a third relay. . . . woooo

Hey Ogre, do you flood 15minutes every four hours? so is that 15minutes the time they are full for, or does that include the pumping time as well? I imagine it like taking 5 minutes to fill an 8 5 gallon buckets so there would be like 25 minutes of actual water time even though the timer was set to 15 minutes.... i just want to make sure not to drown the ladies

Hey ogre or anybody that has experience with this system:

For the outlet does it matter if I have a 20amp 120v outlet instead of the 15amp???

Hey ogre or anybody that has experience with this system:

For the outlet does it matter if I have a 20amp 120v outlet instead of the 15amp???

this is what i was told by the guy at home depot... he used to be an electrician... before he went to work at home depot so something seems wrong there to begin with. I want to give that disclaimer because electricity is DANGEROUS... hehehe

Anyways, here was his logic and i think it makes since.

The outlet isn't defining AMPs used with that number, rather it is what it is rated to handle. So if everything on your circuit was rated for 15 amps all the way to the breaker and the breaker was 15 amps your fine. Here the breaker trips at a safe level.

The problem would be if you were to use a 20 amp GFIC OUTLET and the rest were rated at 15 amps, and for some reason you had this hardwired into your electrical, you would have a problem if you began to draw more than 15 amps and less than 20 amps because you would be overloading the circuit without tripping the GFIC OUTLET.

Please someone smarter than me confirm i am being smart. :laughing:

I believe it is wrong. The fault (a short) event is independent of overload (the max current before tripping the fuse). Two different functions.

Nothing to do with being smarter ;)

anyone convert this controller for the UK crew ? you seen the prices of the IWS? I so want to try this system!! help!

I will publish a mod of this that uses a normal plugin timer without modification and three relays. The only disadvantage is the need for a power cord AND the timer plugged in, so you need to use two outlets. No biggie.

max_well

I will publish a mod of this that uses a normal plugin timer without modification and three relays. The only disadvantage is the need for a power cord AND the timer plugged in, so you need to use two outlets. No biggie.

THis would be very helpful mod, as it would allow for use of a digital timer, which would allow for more exacting flood times -- faster flood times (assuming you have the pump power) , keeps root mass from being submerged in o2 staved solution for too long (I've read that roots start to 'drown' if submerged for longer than ~10-15 mins. in stagnant solution). Look forward to seeing the construction with 3 relays / plug.

thanks!
MAX

Apollo11

A message for you UK guys who are having trouble building this system.

If you are looking for an alternative with no relay's or diehl timer send me a private message ill hook you up.

are you referring to the link you put in luegl thread about ebb and flow post or something like that..blinddate uses the system...stilltrying to find his original thread.

may hit u up apollo thanxs man..

Apollo11

Yes, the blinddate method is what I am reffering too.

FYI, eLiguL(lol awesome spelling of it by the way) and I are one and the same.

Sorry for derailing your thread Orgeseeker, just trying to help out those who are unable to make your controller. Anything further inquiries should be directed to me by pm. I wont derail any further.

Cheers!

I believe it is wrong. The fault (a short) event is independent of overload (the max current before tripping the fuse). Two different functions.

Nothing to do with being smarter ;)

OOOOO your right, i looked back over my language and i am silly. I wrote the GFIC thing intially thinking you should never have something by water without GFIC and then my brain wrote that last little part about tripping the GFIC....

But if we take out the part about tripping the GFIC it is right i am pretty sure...

*FIXED*
The problem would be if you were to use a 20 amp OUTLET and the rest were rated at 15 amps, and for some reason you had this hardwired into your electrical, you would have a problem if you began to draw more than 15 amps and less than 20 amps because you would be overloading the wiring thats rated for 15 amps...

Thats better i think.... thanks so much for catching that nub mistake

Y

yamaha_1fan

wow, i am awake and everything is so much clearer to me, except why did you you print in landscape. I have never tried printing as forum in landscape.

i am going to go try building one to your specs with a digital timer and a third relay. . . . woooo

Hey Ogre, do you flood 15minutes every four hours? so is that 15minutes the time they are full for, or does that include the pumping time as well? I imagine it like taking 5 minutes to fill an 8 5 gallon buckets so there would be like 25 minutes of actual water time even though the timer was set to 15 minutes.... i just want to make sure not to drown the ladies

most of the time when I print in portrait, it cuts the edges of the thread off.

So did you build the controller with the timer and third relay? I have been using it this way since I posted, and no problems. Works like a champ. That may be a fix for the UK guys. Use 3 DPDT relays, and a timer in local voltage and problem solved I think

For the flood time, I just go every 3 hours for 20 minutes. I run alot of buckets so it takes time to fill them up. Just go on the hour, like 1PM 4 PM, 7PM, etc. Its not going to drown them

M

micro gro

rambam, how many amps/watts are you trying to switch? Seems a bit over-sized/priced. I'd go for a ~$30 contactor/relay from Grainger. I'm assuming your equipment is 120v (SP) and you want flip/flop (DT).

Maybe this 5Z542 SPDT 120v coil 30A relay for $27.40.

idea

great thread. i am almost done with my controller, but i have a crimping problem.

how do you hook three disconnects to a single wire?