What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Official Summer 2010 Party Cup Challenge

20/4

Marijuana Enthusiast
Veteran
These are the kind of things that i need! Thanks for the shots and I will have to get with you on the high res. I want to show as many traits and things to look for as i can. It will not only help my eye but help someone else know that they are looking at.

I know exactly what you mean, some traits, such as the cloven leaf arent as easy to spot out as say a tripoloid like mossy has shown us.. I couldnt exactly tell what you meant by cloven leaf until you took the VERY nice shot from the bottom and i was astonished, its a simple yet beautiful leaf mutation:dance013: Ive got all the pictures stored somewhere so just PM me and ill get em to you ASAP.

FD do you think there will be another party cup callenege after this one, i was wanting to get one going after everyones cups are harvested. I know the hype sorta died down, but maybe more people will join? Cheers!:wave:

F

FullDuplex

Any you want m8...:tiphat:
Just say what you are after and I will bring you my best photo.

One thing to really think about including would be some Good hermie photos..

Thank you my friend:thank you:

I want to include as many "sex" variations as i can. This seems to be the question that most people struggle with. I can't tell you how many threads i have seen. "is it male or female, or worse a hermi?"

I want to take the guess work out of this for folks. i find it easy to see the difference on make female, however the hermi can be a tricky thing.

FullD..from what I can see so far..I haven't seen that bud trait..lets see how she fattens/develops it out...:chin:

Interesting so that makes two of us. I cant wait to see what she looks like, she has been a real treat so far and i can imagine she has something up her sleeve for me. fingers crossed:)

I must admit I have searched the threads for a Heritage canna that carries the trait..

i have yet to find any thing either. Google doesn't even have images

During the day it looks a milky grey and is nothing spectacular..
but..
as the sun goes down and hits her she lights up...
Fairy Lights..

Now this is interesting. Almost as if there iridescent now that is something to hold on to. Maybe throw some of that pollen from the leaf anomaly male to one of these and see what happens.

F

FullDuplex

picture.php

Triploid.....:whistling:

:tiphat:

:noway: :noway: :wahey: :wahey: :whee:

I think that alone says save me, i have something special! I have NEVER seen this

the END

I've got a Skunk1 x Haze doing that. It started out normal then went tri-foliate at the 3rd node, all the way to about the 10th then it went quad-foliate.

F

FullDuplex

I know exactly what you mean, some traits, such as the cloven leaf arent as easy to spot out as say a tripoloid like mossy has shown us.. I couldnt exactly tell what you meant by cloven leaf until you took the VERY nice shot from the bottom and i was astonished, its a simple yet beautiful leaf mutation:dance013: Ive got all the pictures stored somewhere so just PM me and ill get em to you ASAP.

FD do you think there will be another party cup callenege after this one, i was wanting to get one going after everyones cups are harvested. I know the hype sorta died down, but maybe more people will join? Cheers!:wave:

Indeed the trait is very nice and once spotted well defined. its crazy actually. the older she gets the more aggressive the trait becomes. her crown is now circled with them as it forms.

I will PM you once i start building my variation archive. right now i am going through my own shots picking the best for the book. Then ill sort the others. Im glad to see this hermi for learning sake, also glad you decided to take a pic and share. :thank you:

As far as the cup challenge goes, i dont see why not. There are always going to be people growing in them, we just need to find the best way to do it. So i think it should stay around. The more than do it, the better chances that we have to make it perfect and get good yields. :wave:

20/4

Marijuana Enthusiast
Veteran
Indeed the trait is very nice and once spotted well defined. its crazy actually. the older she gets the more aggressive the trait becomes. her crown is now circled with them as it forms.

I will PM you once i start building my variation archive. right now i am going through my own shots picking the best for the book. Then ill sort the others. Im glad to see this hermi for learning sake, also glad you decided to take a pic and share. :thank you:

As far as the cup challenge goes, i dont see why not. There are always going to be people growing in them, we just need to find the best way to do it. So i think it should stay around. The more than do it, the better chances that we have to make it perfect and get good yields. :wave:

Ill be sure to send ANY variation pictures i come across your way. Its amazing to hear that the trait becomes more aggressive as the plant grows! Im very very interested in this plant, are you pollinating her? It would be awesome to find a luck male that also followed the cloven leaf pattern.. The high res pictures i have are an even better learning experience because you can zoom in and really take a good look.. Sounds good, im pretty sure im gonna be running some ONYX in a 16oz cup the next time the contest starts, should be very exciting considering its like an auto bush!:jump:

the END

Kind of feel guilty posting this here, since it's nothing to do with AF!
But, since you have asked FD, and I support your interest and the work you are compiling with it.... here Ye go...
It's the one on the right.
oghss.jpg

This picture was weeks ago, I will take some more today for you, then i'll edit this post since I don't want too many OT postings :tiphat:

Here's my Edit:
I didn't really get a good picture of the nodes on the stalk, but you can see where the plant was topped and the 3 side branches reach up. there is 3 branches/leaves per node all the way since the 2nd.(started out like normal with single blades, then triple blades, to 3xfive blades)
816004.jpg

Please excuse the plant's health, This baby has been going through a very rough acclimatization.
816006.jpg

816003.jpg

In this last picture, of the cloned top, you can see where there are 4 leaves sticking out of the stem. The newest nodes being created are also quad.

And now, to FEEL more apart of the Auto-flowering community, I would like to present, my very first Canna Cross
SSmix x LowRyder
Here are the 2 parent's 'Morning After' snap shot.
816001.jpg

F

FullDuplex

Ill be sure to send ANY variation pictures i come across your way. Its amazing to hear that the trait becomes more aggressive as the plant grows! Im very very interested in this plant, are you pollinating her? It would be awesome to find a luck male that also followed the cloven leaf pattern..

Excellent, and it has shocked me to watch it form. Started off with a peace sign and has changed out to this beautiful specimen. I will be hitting this girl with pollen tonight. I have some saved from a BB male that was in with the bunch. I also hit one of the Budwiders last night to make sure that the pollen was still good. Checked the spot this morning and the hairs had started to change and die. But with fang i will be bagging and tagging. i will place a plastic bag over a branch and then shake and bake :)
Leave the bag on for 24 and then mist to kill the access. I am hoping that i can catch this trait again in the F2's.

Kind of feel guilty posting this here, since it's nothing to do with AF!
But, since you have asked FD, and I support your interest and the work you are compiling with it.... here Ye go...
It's the one on the right.

No worries, its all about learning and i love to see variations of canna wither its long season or our Auto warriors. See the trait you are showing would be nice to pass to the auto like, giving them even more uniqueness over the long season ladies.

I believe that the fast nature of these plants allows us to develop a better product fast. With the short grow/bud time we are able to run several at once picking out the best to carry on. We can do this several times a year where as long seasons take time, to grow and breed. Were doing double the amount of work in half the time and right now it seems like we have the correct people involved in doing it.:wave:

the END

I believe that the fast nature of these plants allows us to develop a better product fast. With the short grow/bud time we are able to run several at once picking out the best to carry on. We can do this several times a year where as long seasons take time, to grow and breed. Were doing double the amount of work in half the time and right now it seems like we have the correct people involved in doing it.:wave:
I have been pondering much in this regard. Calculated about 3-4 AF generations to be possible per year.
I have felt that since there are the 3 main species of cannabis we have been given to play with, that it is exactly what we are suppose to do, to mix and cross each and reach that next plateau of cannabis/human relationship.
I know a lot of people are generally fearful of Ruderalis. They claim it is worthless hemp, and it will ruin their gene pool!
I see it much differently. It's definitely a line that once crossed will take a large investment of time and dedication; But there is without a doubt some real gems, and advancement to be made. Especially to think how far we have come in the last 5 years alone. I think auto-flowering plants are still in their baby stage of evolution, with the obvious ancestors being as such, Primary Lowryder.
At the point where we are now, there seems to be a sturdy foundation of sativa/indica/ruderalis stable crosses to fall back on and move forward with. I can Personally state, that I have been doing much research on all such strains, and have been compiling my own genetic library to begin my work from! Though I am new to this AF world, it is also new to us, and it's a lifelong journey to partake.

Thank you to all who has come before and is still around and moving forward! Things should start blasting off pretty soon, Eh?

anonamix

The End.. good stuff man, enjoy the insight. I agree with the open mind(edness) to autos. The ideas for improving/expanding/exploring canna should be embraced, not shunned.

FD.. Dude.. cup ladies are lookin niiiiice. I just spotted a male, no more than that, no pre flower, no more than 4 inches.. and you got some stalky little buggers goin. hats off to ya, love seein those healty cups

F

FullDuplex

FD.. Dude.. cup ladies are lookin niiiiice. I just spotted a male, no more than that, no pre flower, no more than 4 inches.. and you got some stalky little buggers goin. hats off to ya, love seein those healty cups

Thank you sir,:thank you: they started slow but began to thicken up. They have been on my compost tea and they seem to like it. You can still see the early damage i caused from under feeding but i corrected it with the tea.:jump:

They will start to show if you got a male popping then the others will come around. Have you introduced any ferts yet?

M

mossy

Most long season growers haven't even considered AF as a growing Tool yet.

Put your long season girl to a complimentry AF..(dwarf rooting stock)

twirl the trait(s) you want through the AF stages..because it is a damn site quicker
(8-10 weeks per F..)
then pick the Non-AF girls you want out of the f3 selection.

picture.php

The leaf on the left has the 7 fingered leaf with dropped tip..
(all our canna has an odd leaf-finger count.)

You can see imbalance in her...she is not even with the leaf finger placement.
But..
the leaf on the right with the two dropped tips is almost Perfect in balance and definition..
even the two dropped tips balance
From the main-stem..first two leaves are prominant..then two dropped..then two prominant..and two leaf tips dropped.
She is balanced.
But 8 fingered.....:chin:

I look Almost like she is Doubled leafed.

picture.php

If I lift the tips of the 8 finger you can see those two tips are perfectly formed/balanced.
She looks as if she was Meant to grow that way.

and surprise surprise..the one that looks 7 fingered is actually an 8-er too..
she has a shrunken..but viable...leaf formed.

picture.php

Stranger and stranger....

Last edited:

anonamix

FD, they seem to enjoying the tea for sure. Ive been wanting to try some myself. I was using molases, lately ive just been using FF's grow big until flower, then tiger bloom. Im thinking about sneaking in some mollases next feeding, cus they seem hungry.

Mossy, Very interesting. I have young plant with droped tip, but the half the plant seems to be growing fast, and it gets even light. kinda weird.
And a non-af i have going has leaves that fold in the middle like a zig zag. almosst like little canoes. Her early leaves mere mutated shapeless blobs almost with little burnt tips, not taking my veg nutes as well as my other plants.. BUT now shes flowering and sorted herself out and the folded leaves are pretty uniform

F

FullDuplex

Most long season growers haven't even considered AF as a growing Tool yet.

And that is a shame. I think that they are really missing out on a wonderful asset to the canna world.

twirl the trait(s) you want through the AF stages..because it is a damn site quicker
(8-10 weeks per F..)
then pick the Non-AF girls you want out of the f3 selection.

easy as 1. 2. 3. on this not i have pollinated Fang. Bagged and tagged her yesterday around 3pm and then took the bag off this morning around 5 and some of the hairs have already started to change to orange. So fingers crossed but it looks like it took.

The leaf on the left has the 7 fingered leaf with dropped tip..
(all our canna has an odd leaf-finger count.)

You can see imbalance in her...she is not even with the leaf finger placement.
But..
the leaf on the right with the two dropped tips is almost Perfect in balance and definition..
even the two dropped tips balance
From the main-stem..first two leaves are prominant..then two dropped..then two prominant..and two leaf tips dropped.
She is balanced.
But 8 fingered.....:chin:

I look Almost like she is Doubled leafed.

If I lift the tips of the 8 finger you can see those two tips are perfectly formed/balanced.
She looks as if she was Meant to grow that way.

and surprise surprise..the one that looks 7 fingered is actually an 8-er too..
she has a shrunken..but viable...leaf formed.

Stranger and stranger....

This is a marvel to look at. this indeed is a rare trait. usually you dont start seeing that many points at such a young stage. Usually you see this late in veg or at the begining of flower. the leaves usually build 1,3,5,7 and so on and so forth but 1, 3, 8!!:dance013:

Now the next question is if its going to skip a node and then show again. From the pics it looks like it is going to have a normal set on the next node. I am almost willing to bet that the following node after the normal one will show this trait or some sort of anomaly again. :chin:

F

FullDuplex

FD, they seem to enjoying the tea for sure. Ive been wanting to try some myself. I was using molases, lately ive just been using FF's grow big until flower, then tiger bloom. Im thinking about sneaking in some mollases next feeding, cus they seem hungry.

Indded they do. I am almost tempted to stop the FF i am using on the others and switch to my on formula. I have added it to my other girls but in small amounts. The cup runner has had it all through its life :tiphat:

If i may suggest something to kick them a little. I have noticed when using the FF stuff they really really like the combo of them both. When mine were in the stage that yours were in i started a mix of the two. Its how i grew the Jem. Half a teaspoon of GB and half TB to a gallon, add some bubbles for a few hours and then feed.

And do this every other day for a week. This should pep them up. If you are seeing sex they can handle this dose. Its still only half the recommended strength on the bottle but goods from both sides.

I also have something else that ill let out of the bag. I use FF GB but not the soil version. I use the hydro GB :) This has worked out better for me than the soil version. Don't know why but it does. You can see that by the dark green of the leaves.

M

mossy

Don't know why but it does.
Then you just have to go with the flow..
because they are in wonderful condition.

You can see that by the dark green of the leaves.
sure are..
I am almost tempted to stop the FF i am using on the others and switch to my own formula.
Sometimes pappa knows best..
I think you have a great feel for your girls..your feel for ferts could be as good.

Bagged and tagged her yesterday around 3pm and then took the bag off this morning around 5 and some of the hairs have already started to change to orange. So fingers crossed but it looks like it took.
:good: Yeah..fingers crossed.
has the trait changed any as she matures..?

the leaves usually build 1,3,5,7 and so on and so forth but 1, 3, 8!!
Yup..it is an oddity...
you have seen me say I picked up a leaf anomoly on the Black Line.
The first thing I notice was in her head..leaves appearing where they shouldn't.
When I counted..she was an 11 blader/fingers...
something I never had in any JEM..
so I am kinda pinning the extra-fingered leaf to DC.

anonamix..that photo you have added to my thread shows the 3 finger leaf anomoly I chased the cloven out of...perfectly.

M

mossy

picture.php

see the anomoly in her head..the leaves coming out of her head at a funny angle..
the leaf has 9 main blades..then two sticking up like a victory sign at the back..rabbits ears..

it is the rabbits ears that are sticking through and changing the symetry.

F

FullDuplex

because they are in wonderful condition.
:thank you: I appreciate that

Sometimes pappa knows best..
I think you have a great feel for your girls..your feel for ferts could be as good.

I sure hope so, plus its easy to make and the ingredients are cheep. Plus i can mass produce it :)

:good: Yeah..fingers crossed.
has the trait changed any as she matures..?

Indeed they are, and the trait has changed a little. Its still cloven but its starting to show on all new growth as they form and its highly defined. If these take i am hoping to see the trait again in the F2's, but if not it will be an IBL and if i at least pass on the line it will be in there somewhere if it doesn't come out in the F2 maybe by three or 4 ill see it again.

here is the latest growth, see how far the split is?
picture.php

On this one its there but really tight and close to the stem unlike the one above.
picture.php

Yup..it is an oddity...
you have seen me say I picked up a leaf anomoly on the Black Line.
The first thing I notice was in her head..leaves appearing where they shouldn't.
When I counted..she was an 11 blader/fingers...
something I never had in any JEM..
so I am kinda pinning the extra-fingered leaf to DC.

it is and i love it. Like things that are different as well as unique. I would say that it is a DC trait as well. I remember you posting about the leaf anomaly but that is just plain neat to see. Like the 8 pointed one looks like a butterfly and this a rabbit. Not only can you make canna change color, but now animal shapes. Master of canna camo:artist:

:tiphat: got to hand it to ya those black tops are may fav. I cant stop looking at those plants. You have a wonderful talent there and i have to say it i wanna be like you when i grow up lol.

Latest posts

Latest posts