What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

No, they won't stretch more under 2700K.
Only if the blue spectrum is missing completely they will stretch, but 2700K LEDs have blue and their overall intensity makes up for the fact that it's not as much as the red.
They're normally white LEDs covered with a layer of phosphorus, and this layer determines the k rating, so it's more of a full spectrum thing than trying to assemble your spectrum from single frequency diodes.
I get relatively squat bushes with only 2700k from seed to harvest!

Thanks for the input Chevy. I'm always up to learn something new but I did notice on another plant that I recently got given to me I was vegging completely under 5000k and the leaves coming out of the new growth were really fat. Is this good or bad. Will it be less leafier and have more shoots if I veg under 2700k.

bucketbrah

Has anyone ran these vertically? I know they wouldn’t benefit but since they are more powerful than cfls it should work? I’m thinking more for a micro mother chamber that doesn’t need much light..

igrowone

Veteran
Has anyone ran these vertically? I know they wouldn’t benefit but since they are more powerful than cfls it should work? I’m thinking more for a micro mother chamber that doesn’t need much light..

i have thought about a vertical kind of arrangement
haven't done more since micro grows are safer in my illegal state
this isn't vertical exactly, but similar, more of side illumination where p is the plant and x's are the lights

_ x
x p x
_ x (underhash needed for spacing)

stack as high as wanted, seen very impressive grows with long tube fluoros in this setup

Charass

NL clone Week 9, only 12/12 DWC- 4x15W-2700K+1x24W 6000K

NL clone Week 9, only 12/12 DWC- 4x15W-2700K+1x24W 6000K

Yesterday a little accident happened. It was too close to the lamp for a few hours... Seriously burned. :/ Anyway, everything is fine. Buds looks nice, many pistils, rockhard buds...

picture.php

View image in gallery

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the input Chevy. I'm always up to learn something new but I did notice on another plant that I recently got given to me I was vegging completely under 5000k and the leaves coming out of the new growth were really fat. Is this good or bad. Will it be less leafier and have more shoots if I veg under 2700k.

Not sure if this is good or bad honestly... maybe neither...
I've found that plants stretch if they don't get enough light / are too far from the lightsource, but that's about it.
Fat leaves pick up more light...
Best,
CC

IndiGio

Hi guys i'm Italian and i'm in love with this thread.I bought some 10w led bulbs(3000k-4000k-6500k)at 0,99€ so i would like to grow in a 15"x15"x23"(maybe 27)white cabinet.Do you think i have enough height?i'm gonna use a 140m3/h extractor and obviously the lst/scrog method,it will be my first micro grow.First question,is it normal that leds burns at touching?but,if i place my hand so close they produce just a nice heat.Second question,how much W i need?i read 30/40w for sqf so at least 50w in my case,right?Thank you very much,ciao!

Cigarette1

Need some advise have some ?.

Need some advise have some ?.

Hello all I am new to the site and love this post. I been trying to find some detail info. I have a 30x30x63 tent with 3 just now flipping to flower.
3 ( OGK, LEMON K, PURPLE H) 3.5 gallon pots. Mainline training
Flora Trio nutes with Coco Loco soil
1- what is the correct distance (10 ×9w, 2x14w)
2- is this enough light (open to suggestions)
3- Can't tell what's causing the slight yellowing?
4- Should I do a heavy defoliation?

Attachments

• 20180208_062807.jpg
    20180208_062807.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180208_062743.jpg
    20180208_062743.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 14

Mr Pyr0

Hi guys i'm Italian and i'm in love with this thread.I bought some 10w led bulbs(3000k-4000k-6500k)at 0,99€ so i would like to grow in a 15"x15"x23"(maybe 27)white cabinet.Do you think i have enough height?i'm gonna use a 140m3/h extractor and obviously the lst/scrog method,it will be my first micro grow.First question,is it normal that leds burns at touching?but,if i place my hand so close they produce just a nice heat.Second question,how much W i need?i read 30/40w for sqf so at least 50w in my case,right?Thank you very much,ciao!

Hi, I'm growing in a slightly bigger cabinet, 14x24x27 - Ikea unit.
I would say 40W will be fine in your cab, so just 4 of those bulbs, any more and the light will be too intense as the plants get nearer.
I also got an extra 2" in height by taking the bulbs apart completley and resoldering them back laid out flat on an aluminium baking sheet.

IndiGio

Hi, I'm growing in a slightly bigger cabinet, 14x24x27 - Ikea unit.
I would say 40W will be fine in your cab, so just 4 of those bulbs, any more and the light will be too intense as the plants get nearer.
I also got an extra 2" in height by taking the bulbs apart completley and resoldering them back laid out flat on an aluminium baking sheet.

Thank you so much Pyro ! I thought the same thing but i didn't know if it would work.It works good for heat?This was the idea: fix the chips on aluminium sheet(or profile)with thermal paste and place the drivers outside behind or above the cabinet as you can see in the photo(more or less).Third idea was make a hole in the base to minimize the space occupied by the pot.Anyway,can i see a photos of your box and plants? :)

https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=445354&stc=1&d=1518145767[/OGM]

https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=445355&stc=1&d=1518145756

https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=445356&stc=1&d=1518145756

Attachments

• IMG_20180209_032620.jpg
    IMG_20180209_032620.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20180207_170301.jpg
    IMG_20180207_170301.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20180207_170257.jpg
    IMG_20180207_170257.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 14

Mr Pyr0

Here's a pic of my lights (de)construction.
It started out slightly over 80W, but now it's at 75Wmax
All the drivers are rewired on the other side of the baking sheet, it's a steel sheet and very hard to drill so hence the wires taped around to the other side. Running a mixture of 2700k and 3000k. I also went with bulbs that had a higher led count per watt, so more leds but each less intense than if I had of used higher wattage leds.

picture.php

I've since changed out the 11W bulb in the center for a 6W one, as it was causing a hot spot in the center, I've also added a seperate switch to control the 4 x 4W bulbs so they can be switched on and off seperatly, so that gives me approx 60W with an extra 16W boost.
I find if I run it all day at 75W I get problems, but just turning on the boost for 15 mins every hour is working out good at the moment.

Afghan Mass in cabinet - 14"x24"x27"

picture.php

picture.php

First attempt at panel

picture.php

In operation with some early skunk clones

picture.php

peace

IndiGio

Here's a pic of my lights (de)construction.
It started out slightly over 80W, but now it's at 75Wmax
All the drivers are rewired on the other side of the baking sheet, it's a steel sheet and very hard to drill so hence the wires taped around to the other side. Running a mixture of 2700k and 3000k. I also went with bulbs that had a higher led count per watt, so more leds but each less intense than if I had of used higher wattage leds.

View Image

I've since changed out the 11W bulb in the center for a 6W one, as it was causing a hot spot in the center, I've also added a seperate switch to control the 4 x 4W bulbs so they can be switched on and off seperatly, so that gives me approx 60W with an extra 16W boost.
I find if I run it all day at 75W I get problems, but just turning on the boost for 15 mins every hour is working out good at the moment.

Afghan Mass in cabinet - 14"x24"x27"

View Image

View Image

First attempt at panel

View Image

In operation with some early skunk clones

View Image

peace

That's great bro thanks a lot :tiphat: with a professional tools would be better and easier but let's seattle for now.I wil show you my cabinet when the job is done 👌

Cigarette1

Post #1911

Post #1911

Can anyone plz answer the 4 questions on post #1911. I am new to the LED world but really like what they are showing. Great thread......

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Hello all I am new to the site and love this post. I been trying to find some detail info. I have a 30x30x63 tent with 3 just now flipping to flower.
3 ( OGK, LEMON K, PURPLE H) 3.5 gallon pots. Mainline training
Flora Trio nutes with Coco Loco soil
1- what is the correct distance (10 ×9w, 2x14w)
2- is this enough light (open to suggestions)
3- Can't tell what's causing the slight yellowing?
4- Should I do a heavy defoliation?

1 - I would go with 18"-24" (45-60cm) to start.
2 - way more than needed, 30-50-watts is plenty for that size.
3 - Lights may be too close, or heat, or pH really not enough info.
4 - I wouldn't, leaves are not only solar panels but also storage cells.

Hope That Helps :tiphat:

IndiGio

:tiphat: yesterday i found these flat bubls,i think they are interesting.Shame about the price.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• bombilla-led-plana-estandar-e27-8w-3000k-650-lm-360-largo-110mm.jpg
    bombilla-led-plana-estandar-e27-8w-3000k-650-lm-360-largo-110mm.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 21506891-5662.jpg
    21506891-5662.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

SoCoCrow

A little 4 week update.

Sadly a couple pollen sacs got past me. No idea why my Sour Lemons hermied but they did. Looks like a seed fest in there now. Uhg,
Was going so nicely until this.

Attachments

• IMG_20180201_125243.jpg
    IMG_20180201_125243.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20180205_115110.jpg
    IMG_20180205_115110.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 28

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
A little 4 week update.

Sadly a couple pollen sacs got past me. No idea why my Sour Lemons hermied but they did. Looks like a seed fest in there now. Uhg,
Was going so nicely until this.

Just spray everything down with water, turn a fan on and let it all dry. The pollen may have taken in a few places, but you should be fine.

SoCoCrow

Just spray everything down with water, turn a fan on and let it all dry. The pollen may have taken in a few places, but you should be fine.

I hear you but sadly there is an awful lot of prematurely orange pistols and I can see seeds building. Normally with a random nanner I agree this is solid advice, just wish I caught it sooner.