What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

bajson

Six of these 10watt 1000 lumen 2700k from Ikea.

a3Oa5B7.jpg

In roughly 90 days from sprout produced this.

Ak47 auto
qLmvOPT.jpg

UQEKtKg.jpg

Amnesia auto.

T2WTypr.jpg

6OYnTyp.jpg

77g from 60watts, love this thread and love these lights. Keep it up all the sil-growers out there!

G

gr3k0s

Sorry new to this forum, the images aren't working properly for me!

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2422.jpg
    IMG_2422.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2421.jpg
    IMG_2421.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 15
  • picture3
    picture3
    105.4 KB · Views: 34
G

gr3k0s

Thanks for that :)

The whole setup was insanely cheap, the lamp holders were freebies I had, the lights actually were a pack of 4 for $1.99 and the lamp holders were off Amazon for $8.99.

This is a little experiment, curious to see what regular light bulbs can do.

I'm going to throw in a couple $3.99 4000k 4ft LED shop lights I got in there to soon

bajson

You've inspired me immensely!

What distance did you keep these ?

Thank you, this thread has inspired me alot aswell so just want to give something back to all its readers. They have been kept fairly close, this pic from midflower can give you an idea about the distance, i did pull them a little closer then this aswell, sorry this was the best pic i had to show.
0gnPXLi.jpg

Impressive job bajson! :tiphat:

With autos! what was your light schedule?

Thank you sir, they have been on 18/6 their whole life. :tiphat:

G

gr3k0s

Thank you, this thread has inspired me alot aswell so just want to give something back to all its readers. They have been kept fairly close, this pic from midflower can give you an idea about the distance, i did pull them a little closer then this aswell, sorry this was the best pic i had to show.
View Image

Thank you sir, they have been on 18/6 their whole life. :tiphat:

Thank you, I'm thinking I've got mine a little too far away now.

Actually found seed and have another 7-1 holder coming, may as well burn up the spare globes I've got of go grab another $2.99 box, so many available to buy.

I've found a neat trick to pop off the domes quickly now.

Attachments

• IMG_2433 2.jpg
    IMG_2433 2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 18

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
My ghetto light meter was not intended to replace more expensive light meters that are made for this sort of thing.

The point I previously made was there's nothing wrong with inexpensive meters that measure foot candles or lux (the exception being smartphone apps) as an approximation of measuring PAR\umol so long as you use the proper calculations. For the vast majority of people, especially microgrowers, there's endless better investments than a $600 PAR meter. I don't have a PAR meter myself FWIW.

My question was how you arrived a 1.5-2K umol? My understanding at this point is you got that numbers from your meter and you arbitrarily assigned umol as the metric to what it measures. When you get a chance to use your friend's PAR meter, I think you'll start to see what I've been talking about.

That light\distance chart has been around forever. It shows that a 600w HPS at 12" ought to be 30K foot candles which is about 4000 umol which would barbecue a plant despite the legend indicating it's in the optimal range. I tested a new 600w HPS of mine at 12" and measured about 6,000 foot candles which is about 800 umol.I used a conversion factor of .0122 to go from HPS FC\lux to PAR. If the chart is accurate at all, it sure seems like the metric is lux rather than foot candles. Even so, I'm measuring twice the lux though granted I'm using a digital ballast with a new enhanced bulb that didn't exist when that chart was created.

On a different note. The 7 way LED splitters are a great shape, but the quality of them that I've received was terrible. Half the screws were over tightened and cracked the plastic making things dangerous. The sockets themselves have the strength of aluminum foil and removing a bulb will strip half of them out so try to minimize changes and be very gentle. I removed the top and just wired it to a 99 cent extension cord to gain some headroom and to more easily be mounted level.

Legalcdn

I used 7 way light adapters..4 in a 2x4 area. Grew quite well. Now i went to vanity lights to spread out lights.. i do use the clamp light with 7 way attached to container.. close to end of cycle to help lower buds. Just harvested a pound with 315w + 70ish clamp light at last 2.5 weeks. Flat canopy as mentioned many times FTW..

PCBuds

... The 7 way LED splitters are a great shape, but the quality of them that I've received was terrible. Half the screws were over tightened and cracked the plastic making things dangerous.]

I have a cheap 5-way splitter from eBay and it's a dangerous piece of crap.

I bought a DiCUNO 5-way splitter and it's built way better.
They are more pricey though.

This is the 7-way splitter... They have adjustable beam angles as well.

Im'One

ok i need help with my situation...im not using great value bulbs after the blurple deal, sylvania 5000 watt daylight dimmables are not good.
Which bulbs still have the plastic globes and wont crap out on me in a month? i need to expand my grow area.
i use agribrite cfls at 42 watt for my vegging and baby clones, but LEDs for my flowering. the sylvania 2700 k are good for that but i cannot cut the globes off as they are glass, and the led filamint? sticks out into the globe.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Kali China under a SILs Sun

Kali China under a SILs Sun

picture.php

Gonna start working on the next lights to deploy to complete the flowering room... existing HML and COB, and gonna build another SILs grid :biggrin: I let this girl go too far thinking it was an indica pheno, when it isn't.

Drop That Sound

How in the heck did you turn a great value bulb blurple? I want to try just for fun.

If it could be done by bypassing a component in the SIL, that could possibly be useful. Sounds more like a damaged part that would have to be replaced though.

Be cool if you could flip a switch and have half the bulbs go into purple energy saving mode, without actually damaging them to do it.

Im'One

How in the heck did you turn a great value bulb blurple? I want to try just for fun.

If it could be done by bypassing a component in the SIL, that could possibly be useful. Sounds more like a damaged part that would have to be replaced though.

Be cool if you could flip a switch and have half the bulbs go into purple energy saving mode, without actually

damaging them to do it.

i cut the plastic globe off with my dremel using the drill to cut around the perimeter like cutting sheet rock and rhey were fine at first...then turned purple

Latest posts

Latest posts