What's new

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Has anyone used these far-red SILs yet? Anyone have a side by side with the same clone? Looks sick. :)
OSRAM Industrial Grade LED Grow Bulb A19 730nm - Far Red LED

On 5-15 minutes before lights out, and then off between 5 and 15 minutes after lights out. As far as I'm aware, it speeds up maturation times for a quicker harvest, at the cost of yield. Increasing light hours to 14/10 will keep close to original maturation times with a yield increase for many strains. :tiphat:

It sounds good, doug. what is the price of that light?

MdNewgrower

Admittedly shoddy trim job, because, well, it's for use, not sale,.....

72g under no more than 54w of 2700k for last 2/3(about 81w of mixed spectrum before that, tops, prior to that) of flowering. 1st run of this strain.

Just put 2 more into flower, and converted 1 person to grow....

Carnivorous for the win....j/k.....

Attachments

• KIMG0045.jpg
    KIMG0045.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I never have problems under LED with seedlings or clones and I'm under 15w bulbs running a canopy of 1.5k-2k umol in both veg and flower.

I am running my leds air cooled and you guys are warmer so they're transpiring more? If not that, I'm out of ideas.

30w per sqft, Oaxacan 79 x Panama (foreground) and Moroccan x Skunk (background)
picture.php

Mac 1 around week 7
picture.php

Im'One

. Having trouble with sylvania hundred watt dimmable cool white bulbs. I had two burn out in about a month of use. The soft whites next to them in my fixture are working out just fine. I had no more hundred watt cool white so replaced them with sixty watt soft whites. Oh and i left globes on...some of my walmart great value leds, turned into blurples when i cut the globes off?????

Dammit.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Huh? That's weird. I know I accidentally shaved an LED off the surface of it's chip while removing a globe, (still haven't plugged it in yet lol) but damned if I can figure how it'd turn blurple.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Pictures of my coronavirus productivity:

2x4 standoffs with aluminum angle which were screwed into the roof of the taller cabinet.
picture.php

White composite panel cut to size pre 2.5" holes drilled for lights.
picture.php

Side profile once installed.
picture.php

All buttoned up.
picture.php

View as the plants see things.
picture.php

If you plan on doing this and dropping your cabinet temps to near as makes no difference to ambient:
  • I would suggest getting something for your panel thats either somewhat or completely clear so you can more easily and accurately mark your bulb centers for the 2.5" hole saw.
  • Use a drywood blade (tiny teeth) on your circular saw for nice smooth cuts.
  • Ask for a composite material that cuts like wood. Plastic and acrylic (my other flowering and veg cab) tend to melt and load up, flinging molten plastic everywhere.

Im'One

Huh? That's weird. I know I accidentally shaved an LED off the surface of it's chip while removing a globe, (still haven't plugged it in yet lol) but damned if I can figure how it'd turn blurple.

Yea the sylvania dimmable 100 watt cool wites are crap. One was bad right out of the box. Two more have went bad since Oct.
I will try to post a pic of the great value bulbs in a minute.

Terpene your design is very elegant looking.

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Pictures of my coronavirus productivity:

2x4 standoffs with aluminum angle which were screwed into the roof of the taller cabinet.
View Image

White composite panel cut to size pre 2.5" holes drilled for lights.
View Image

Side profile once installed.
View Image

All buttoned up.
View Image

View as the plants see things.
View Image

If you plan on doing this and dropping your cabinet temps to near as makes no difference to ambient:
  • I would suggest getting something for your panel thats either somewhat or completely clear so you can more easily and accurately mark your bulb centers for the 2.5" hole saw.
  • Use a drywood blade (tiny teeth) on your circular saw for nice smooth cuts.
  • Ask for a composite material that cuts like wood. Plastic and acrylic (my other flowering and veg cab) tend to melt and load up, flinging molten plastic everywhere.

Looks beautiful:woohoo:

r3al0n3

LST

LST

First of all, i want to thank you brother for this thread. It has been very inspiring and i see you have put lot of work in it. Great job my brother.
What i wanted to ask is about your LST.
As i see you are just pressing your plants to the ground using some crossed bamboo sticks. But i would like to know a bit in-depth about it. Like I couldn't quite see/understand the purpose of 2 bamboo sticks closer to the stem where it comes from the root system. Are you like planting the flower little bit sideways at the start, then helping it to be held down by the sticks. Or you are planting it vertically and then bending the stem? More close ups to that would really be appreciated, if you have them.
Thanks man, this thread is a gamechanger for many i think.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
How are you arriving at 1.5k-2k umol?

He measured it with a garden center meter, in the same post.

Calculations suggest 350umol which is about where problems start creeping in. 600 is pretty sweet if you can keep up. At 800 you about max out, limited by co2. Any more and I struggle. There just isn't the co2 available to complete processes that everything else is available for. In effect, I get co2 deficient.

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
He measured it with a garden center meter, in the same post.

Calculations suggest 350umol which is about where problems start creeping in. 600 is pretty sweet if you can keep up. At 800 you about max out, limited by co2. Any more and I struggle. There just isn't the co2 available to complete processes that everything else is available for. In effect, I get co2 deficient.

I saw that. Looks like he's shy of 2,000 foot candles which is about 20,000 lux.

Using a LED\lux to PAR factor of 0.015 (20K * .015) that's 300 umol. A far cry from thousands of umol. Someone's math is off. Maybe mine. Just trying to get the facts straight.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I saw that. Looks like he's shy of 2,000 foot candles which is about 20,000 lux.

Using a LED\lux to PAR factor of 0.015 (20K * .015) that's 300 umol. A far cry from thousands of umol. Someone's math is off. Maybe mine. Just trying to get the facts straight.

My 350 was being generous. If his meter is saying 300 it is surprisingly accurate. 300umol from LED's seems a lot more use than 300 from sodium lamps. You can get real growth, and it's not a figure that's hard to work with.

Legalcdn

Just harvested 2 zamadelia x old timer haze. 445grm total this grow.. Zam1=210..zam2=165. About 13.5oz

315w SILs, coco , DTW in 2 gal. with megacrop. I am switching to Jack's 5-12-26.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Just harvested 2 zamadelia x old timer haze. 445grm total this grow.. Zam1=210..zam2=165. About 13.5oz

315w SILs, coco , DTW in 2 gal. with megacrop. I am switching to Jack's 5-12-26.

Yield sounds alright. Why the change?

This 300umol probably gives a good gram per watt. Light is used very efficiently at 300umol. If you use 500umol, the light won't be used as efficiently, and 600 is stating to get a little wasteful. 800 is actually wasteful. From 500 the co2 was becoming a limiting factor and at 800 you really can't get much more growth no matter how much more light you add. You just watch your gram per watt tumble, and plants getting ill. You need extra co2 to pass 800umol.

Latest posts

Latest posts