What's new

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

PCBuds

I've been thinking about this.

If I'm right about that resistor being used as a thermistor to regulate current flow then if it gets hotter because it can't breathe as good, then the bulb might be dimmer?

Bypassing (shorting out) that resistor might crank up the brightness to full snort ?

Your bulbs are different than mine and I can't bypass my resistor without wrecking the base so I can't screw it back in.

I'm not familiar with your bulbs circuits, so bypassing it might short out the bulb?&

Last edited:

PCBuds

There's nothing in a hole.

How do move nothing ?

If I was walking down the road and saw a rabbit hole full of LED strips and drivers and I jumped in, the hole doesn't move.

But I suppose if the rabbit can no longer get out of the hole it might dig a new hole and therefore I moved the hole.

I'm getting confused again.

I need to smoke another one and think about it

PCBuds

0.135 A and 10 ohms.

Power equals I squared r.

0.18225 Watts.

It's not much waste but I don't know if bypassing it will just make it brighter or just blow the whole bulb?

PCBuds

... I use a 12/12 light schedule from seed...

I’m hoping to eventually organize my experiences and present a grow diary for those with limited budgets and expertise...

I've never tried that.

I thought you were supposed to veg for 8 weeks then flower for 8 to 10 weeks.

It takes me 5 months to grow a plant.

I've got 5 seeds left and it's going to take me more than 2years to grow them out.

I'm gonna try a fast grow.

PS.

You might want to consider adding a C02 generator to your cab.

If you don't want to put it right in your cab for fear of blocking the light you could put it outside and vent the output into your cab.

You just let the bucket sit and drink your exhausted generator.

It's a symbiotic relationship.

Add in an aquarium and terrarium and all you do is add food then visit when you wanna get stoned and drunk.

Last edited:

ScrogMonster

Veteran
I've been thinking about this.

[URL=https://i.postimg.cc/rmfJn24D/Screenshot-2019-11-02-01-38-11.png]View Image[/url]

If I'm right about that resistor being used as a thermistor to regulate current flow then if it gets hotter because it can't breathe as good, then the bulb might be dimmer?

Bypassing (shorting out) that resistor might crank up the brightness to full snort ?

Your bulbs are different than mine and I can't bypass my resistor without wrecking the base so I can't screw it back in.

I'm not familiar with your bulbs circuits, so bypassing it might short out the bulb?&

Yeah, this was said before, I think by you, I've been more careful to use only enough silicone to shock proof it, just on the very top, just incase. I only smothered one or two of my bulbs like the one in that photo.

Your Widow is looking very pretty bud.

Here is some of that GG4 in a jar. Such a treat to smoke very creamy/yummy smoke and relaxing effect.

picture.php

PCBuds

Yeah, this was said before, I think by you, I've been more careful to use only enough silicone to shock proof it, just on the very top, just incase. I only smothered one or two of my bulbs like the one in that photo...

Can you tell me what bulb that is?

I want to buy one for experimentation purposes.

(I hope it's not $40 here in Canada 🍁. Lol)

PCBuds

I'm sure your bulb is fine.

I'm sure there's no noticeable difference.

I wanna get one and bypass that resistor.

PCBuds

I'm gonna bypass my resistor but I'm really stoned and drunk right now and I don't want to blow up.

PCBuds

I was just at Walmart and the 60-watt 2pack bulbs are $4.98 and the 100-watt 2pack bulbs are $12.98.

I don't know why the 100-watt are so much more money.

indagroove

Veteran
I was just at Walmart and the 60-watt 2pack bulbs are $4.98 and the 100-watt 2pack bulbs are $12.98.

I don't know why the 100-watt are so much more money.

Saw these today at my local Goodwill thrift store and thought of this thread. $5 for a 3-pack. They have at least 20 boxes for sale..

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20191103_121044~2.jpg
    20191103_121044~2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 17

PCBuds

I just got a rain check for these.

They were sold out of daylight color.

Then I bought a cookie sheet from the dollar store.

I just got to cut some holes through the sheet for the wires and capacitors and glue them on.

Then I ordered 4 LED strips.
Now I have to buy/make a driver.

Hey PCbuds - I just snip the approximately centimeter long metal prongs that stick out down to as close to flush as possible, is snipping those prongs not good for the bulb some how? I don’t really need to put as much silicone on as I do if that is trapping heat in the bulb...but snipping the extra centimeter off makes insulating the “live” metal much easier and if I left them whole and covered them it might only just be more of eyesore but I’m telling myself I’m blocking a lumen or two as well. Here is a side by side picture with a untreated bulb or forearm taser lol and one that I snipped and put less silicone on.

View Image

That's pretty much how I envisioned it. And beside that, I think the overall net gain in heat dissipation from removing the globe has a much larger impact than a little silicone on the ceramic.

I'm in the process of cleaning out the phosphorus from and old flouro tube.

https://postimg.cc/56vMD9NfView Image

I want to install LED strips inside them, so they just fit right back into my fixture.

I don't want to fill them with distilled at this point, for fear of making them too heavy and breaking the glass and cresting a flood.

Does anyone know what LED strip or strips will fit and fill the tube?

View Image

You are of course entitled to do whatever you wish, but I vote for a KISS style project where you just glue/epoxy/Arctic paste the strip to the old reflector. Cheap, simple and effective.

Some of the strips come already waterproofed.
Or cut a clear tube in half with a hot wire and make your own cover.

And then everyone can copy you. :biggrin:

You get naming rights.:tiphat: